Lap Steel Fretplate (fretboard Template) Plans

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

This sounds like it could be a very good learning tool, especially if it can be applied and removed without harming the instrument.

I'd suggest beside open G and open E tunings, that you consider C6/Am7, which is bass to treble <H3>C E G A C E</H3>.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Well, I use open D, open E, open G and C6/Am7 tunings on different lap steels, so I think if it doesn't cost you that much, it won't hurt to have them available in all tunings.

Since open E and open D are the same tuning but one whole step apart, couldn't you just create a template that references the scale steps (1-8) rather than the notes (E-e or D-d)?

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel:
www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

In response to Brad's comment, I would respectfully disagree. I think it's far more useful to have the actual notes rather than the scale steps (for a given tuning) as it enables you to find other chords and scales for all keys in that tuning (rather than just the major scale notes for the tuning).

I also agree with Brad about the need for a
C E G A C E (C6) tuning template.

Sidebar: In the early days of the Java language, there was a freeware application available that showed the fretboard of a guitar. The app allowed you to specify the number of strings and the notes for each given string (a virtual steel guitar!). You could then tell it to display any scale for you and markers with the note numbers would appear on the fretboard over the appropriate string and fret position. You could also display chord forms for a very large number of types of chords (maj,min,7th,9th,11th etc).

This was a fantastic application and I wish I had a copy of it now (it's long gone). I can't find it anymore on the web.

Anybody know what I'm talking about and have a copy? I'd be eternally grateful to you for sharing it with me.

Thanks

-Bill
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

This is something I've been looking for, and have resigned myself to trying a crude do-it-yourself project. Right now, I'm learning notes on differently tuned fretboards using ClicTab output on paper.

If you fulfilled all my needs, you'd be making one each for a C6th 10 string, E9th 10 string, 3 tunings on a 24 1/2" triple 8 string, and another 24 1/2" 8 string with different string spacing.

I'm guessing your cost & trouble to meet all kinds of specific individual needs might tend to drive you a bit towards insanity.

So, assuming that's out of the question, could I talk you into selling me a blank to try out? No notes printed on it; I'll use grease pencil or something. What are the dimensions if you're interested?