IPad

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill McCloskey

IPad

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Just got an Ipad and I have to tell you, I was pretty skeptical, but once I had my hands on it, I fell in love.

I bought a little propping device and I'm able to see all my PDF'd sheet music propped up right next to my guitar, a great metronome - and my choice of dozens of more metronomes. And I have fret board which maps out the most popular pedal and non pedal tunings and allows you to see chords, scales, etc mapped out. Joey Ace worked on that one.

I'm just starting to explore all the music related apps out there for the Ipad, I'm sure there will be hundreds more. And for non-musical stuff like watching a movie on netflixs streamed on the screen, checking my email and surfing the web, and indexing my book and record collection which is what I originally bought it for, on something that weighs almost nothing is amazing.

I got a little shoulder bag at B&H Photo (apple store didn't really have a good selection) I finally found the perfect bag for this thing, a case logic bag for an 10 inch computer.works perfectly.
Paul Haun

Post by Paul Haun »

Google airturn you will be very happy with this upcoming app
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

There is a Peterson strobosoft app, it costs 9.99. Peterson also sells a connector cable for the ipod/pad. I don't know if you can just use an 1/8th to 1/4 inch adapter though.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Cleartune ain't bad either.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Paul Haun

Post by Paul Haun »

I have Guitar Toolkit, which does very well with it's tuner as well...Hoping it works for steel until I can get a stroboflip or something for the pedalboard, but nice to hear about the strobosoft....

I really wish I had a use for the Airturn...it's quite a great idea...maybe I'll figure something out..
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

I'd like to expound a little on the strobosoft tuner for the iPhone/iPad here if you all don't mind :-) Just imagine having your iPad hooked to the leg of your steel or Microphone stand basically anyway you wish yo use it and turning the strobosoft tuner on and having a full screen strobosoft tuner with all of its vibrant colors that fills the full screen and with the Peterson accuracy.

I have the one for the iPhone and it's viewing area is as big as the screen on the strobostomp II or stroboflip so it could be hooked up to your steel as well. There are hundreds of clip on stands for the iPhone and I assume the iPad will be the same very shortly. So if you buy a stand/car holder for your iPhone basically you have a 200.00 (or what ever the price is) stroboflip for 9.99 with the exact same 0.1 cent accuracy as the standalone Peterson tuner products.

I have a car holder adapter for my new iPhone 4 and I got it on ebay for 9.99 with free shipping. Basically it just clips around the iPhone and you tighten it down as tight as you feel is necessary to keep it secure then in the car you can clip it to the air vent or use a suction cup for the window. I haven't figured a way to clip it to a mic stand or a steel leg yet but I'll bet you there will be one made by someone right here on the forum before long.

I'm not sure why Peterson made the tuner for the iPhone/iPad and then sold it so cheap because I'm thinking that it could interfere with their sales of the hardware units. But no matter the reason I would like to give the whole team up at Peterson kudos for releasing this special version of the tuner for the iPhone/iPad series of products.

It's not very often that a company with Peterson's background giving us chance to buy a 200.00 product or whatever they sell for now for 9.99 with the same quality!!!!

I'd like to personally say thanks to John Norris for his great leadership up at Peterson. Keep up the good work John. I would try to mention all of the crew up at Alsip but undoubtedly I would miss one or 2 names and I don't want to leave anyone out :-)

One last thought I am familiar with the cleartune tuner and it's nice too so I'm not putting down any of the other tuners for sale on app store I'm just more knowledgeable with the Peterson tuners so please don't think I'm putting down any other brand of tuners :-) I have seen more tuners on the app store than you can shake a stick at LOL!!

Bob
***Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow***
Paul Haun

Post by Paul Haun »

thanks bob!

This is great great news!!! I love saving $190 :D
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Bob, my understanding is that the $9.99 version doesn't allow for custom tunings, like the offsets many of us use for pedal steel. Am I correct about that?
Jaclyn Jones

Post by Jaclyn Jones »

I have an Ipad with an ap called GoodReader. It let's you cut, paste and import almost ant form of document. I load lyrics and the chords and have them in folders by alphabetic order. You can then set it to autoscroll while you play. Beats a binder any day!
http://www.myspace.com/jaclynjones
http://www.youtube.com/user/jackiej1950
Lots of guitars, banjos, mandos and a Mullen G2-D10,PAC D10, 1966 Marlen D10,Line6 x3 Pro, Peavey Powerslide, Michael Kelly Dobro and a "Fox Vintage Amp" model 5F8A. Oh Yea, a very patient husband.
Rich Hlaves

Post by Rich Hlaves »

Has anyone found a tuner app for Blackberry?
On man....let the smoke out of another one.
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Hi Mr. Jim, I believe you are absolutely correct and I don't know if they plan on offering that feature. I haven't read anything about that so far. They do offer a drop capo tuning that can be used to tune to any octave you wish to and of course it does show you the cents display on the front display so you could use those readings to tune flat and sharp like a lot of players use to do with needle tuners and I suspect some still do.

This feature may be one that will not be added to the 9.99 strobo I just don't know but I'll talk to John and ask. But I will say this I can understand that feature not being on there being a deal breaker for those who love using those special tunings on the hardware units.

I'll get back to you after I do a little research possibly if someone from Peterson is watching this thread we would be happy to hear from you ;-)

Bob
***Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow***
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

Marshall Johns, moderator of the Peterson forum answered this question in the in July 2009:
iStroboSoft was designed to be a low cost alternative for users simply looking for an easy-to-use, accurate tuner without all the bells and whistles.

As the app gains popularity, we are receiving requests from many tuning communities to add features that move away from the original target market. The design choice was to create a streamlined app and not 'cripple' or limit features.

With the new upgrade options the Apple 3.0 OS provides, we soon hope to be able to offer upgradeable options that a user can select and customize their app for individual use rather than offer a palette of options that may not be required for the average user. This helps keep costs low for those who do not require added features.
In a later post from last March he wrote:
When presets become available, as previously mentioned, these will be able to be purchased as an in-app upgrade to iStroboSoft. The recent free upgrades address improvements to the core version only with some added personalization options.

No release date is available at this time for in-app upgrades.
Let´s wait and see.....

Here´s the whole thread
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

I found a pretty good multi-track recording app for the iPad. It's called StudioMini XL and cost $5.99 It has 8 tracks and sounds pretty good. I was able to put down rhythym guitar & vocals, then a bass line, steel, and nice little conga groove. Obviously, I got a lot of things to work out, but I was able to get a pretty good mix the first time through. I've never recorded myself before now...it's a hoot.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Post by James Mayer »

Check out the metronome, "Tempo 2". Supposedly, it's a Dr. Beat for $2.
Roger Haugejorden

ipad

Post by Roger Haugejorden »

Thank you very much for your info Jaclyn. I have been trying to find out about the auto scroll and whether it just took pdf's. Thanks everyone, great info. Roger Haugejorden
David Hartley

iPad, music, steel mixer

Post by David Hartley »

Keep an eye on things above. There are some great effects within the peavey ampkit app and stomp box too, latency and input issues may be a thing of the past when steel mixer has it's iPad,pod,phone input. I have been using iPad on stage since the day they were released, words, tracks, tune, record, email and web in the breaks, this is all you need..

By the way, the dobro add on is coming first, the iPad input will follow, myself and mark dunn have talked about this on a few occasions now.

:D :D :D

www.steelmixer.com
Bill Cutright

Post by Bill Cutright »

DaveH... what app do you use for lyrics? and how do you mount/support on stage?
Bill Cutright

Post by Bill Cutright »

DaveH... what app do you use for lyrics? and how do you mount/support on stage?
Bill Cutright

Post by Bill Cutright »

and how do delete topics that get double poseted when the server times out on the initial submit and you re-submit...??
:x
Jaclyn Jones

Post by Jaclyn Jones »

Bill,
The Goodreader app works great for lyrics. Iset up a file with alphabetically aranged folder to make it easy. It will auto scroll at the speed you want.
http://www.myspace.com/jaclynjones
http://www.youtube.com/user/jackiej1950
Lots of guitars, banjos, mandos and a Mullen G2-D10,PAC D10, 1966 Marlen D10,Line6 x3 Pro, Peavey Powerslide, Michael Kelly Dobro and a "Fox Vintage Amp" model 5F8A. Oh Yea, a very patient husband.