Renting a Pedal Steel Guitar in Nashville

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken F. Hill

Renting a Pedal Steel Guitar in Nashville

Post by Ken F. Hill »

Hi,
I still haven't managed to find anyone to rent me a PSG for a few days during the week Aug 7th-15th. I'm coming over from England and want to take some lessons while I'm in Nashville. Has anybody any ideas please?
Thanks
Ken
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Contact your instructor. He/she would probably be able to set something up for you.
Best regards,
Mike
Ken F. Hill

Post by Ken F. Hill »

Hi Mike,
I have asked him but he is unable to provide a PSG :( I does seem strange that in the 'home of country music' it is not possible to rent a PSG? I hope I manage to get one.
Thanks
Ken
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Try Bobbe Seymour at Steel Guitar Nashville. Here's the link.
http://www.steelguitar.net/
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Yea, contact ole Bobbe. Tell him his Forum Bros said to treat you right, or we'll tell everyone all his dirty little secrets!! :whoa: :lol: :lol:
Best regards,
Mike
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

I hesitated to post here but I'm going to anyway to avoid confusion.
I'm the instructor in question here and no, I don't furnish a guitar to anyone, That you must do yourself. In the past I would refer people to Bobbe and he has rented a few people a guitar while they were here and the student and myself were grateful. But Bobbe has a new policy that he does not rent instruments anymore. That's his decision and I respect that. He's in the sales business not rental business.
Ken, Maybe someone from here in town will read your plight and rent you a guitar.
I just wanted to set the record straight about renting one from Bobbe.
Zumsteel steel guitars, Telonics and Peavey amplifiers, GHS strings.
Ken F. Hill

Post by Ken F. Hill »

Hi,
Thanks for clearing that up Mike.... I do hope someone hears my plea :D I would be willing to cover the total cost of the guitar while I have it.
I'm reluctant to ship my Sho-Bud to a hotel... I would hate for it to get lost somewhere.
Regards
Ken
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Ken F. Hill wrote:I would be willing to cover the total cost of the guitar while I have it.
Ken, could you clarify what you mean by that?
basilh

Post by basilh »

Presumably a refundable deposit to the value of the instrument ?
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Yes Basilh, I can do something like that.
Be glad to.
I highly do recommend Mike Sweeney too, one of Nashvilles best players AND best teachers.
I also have personal guitars I can loan out by holding a first born 'til it's returned.
Thank you boys,
Bobbe
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Do they still use steel guitars in Nashville????? :lol:

sorry, couldn't help myself
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Steve, yes, but not the right way! :lol:
Ken F. Hill

Post by Ken F. Hill »

Wow... This forum really works. You guys are amazing, looks like I do have a guitar:) Basil was right about a deposit to cover the total cost of the instrument.
I also received a nice suprise in the post, some money for some TV music I composed... I feel a new pedal Steel in the air... So maybe I will buy one :D

BIG Thanks again

Ken
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

What Bobbe said..............both times!
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Bobbe, I've got a first born I'll leave with you for one of your guitars!
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I've got an ex-wife or three. :whoa: :\
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Jim, so have I, or four! :lol:

Mr.Crawford, a first born huh, well I had a guy come in last week and say he needed a steel guitar for his 18 year old daughter, I replied "sounds like a good trade to me, let me see your daughter"!

(somebody explain this to Brent Rommes, he has a hard time with homor! :whoa: )

Bobbe
Matthew Warman

Post by Matthew Warman »

Ken
hey buddy I sure hope someone out there rents you you decent PSG, I can get you a good deal on renting a horse if all else fails :wink:
Ken F. Hill

Post by Ken F. Hill »

Thanks Matthew my good buddy but I have a PSG waiting for me in Nashville 8)
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

BobbeSeymour wrote:Jim, so have I, or four! :lol:

Mr.Crawford, a first born huh, well I had a guy come in last week and say he needed a steel guitar for his 18 year old daughter, I replied "sounds like a good trade to me, let me see your daughter"!

(somebody explain this to Brent Rommes, he has a hard time with homor! :whoa: )

Bobbe
Bobbe, I assume that you are referring to the Jim Reeves thread where you stated that "He wasn't good pilot either." As a matter of fact, Bobbe, I do have a sense of humor, although I must admit that I separate humor from more serious things like that slight you threw out at Jim Reeves. Even if it is "just said in jest", that is ok as long as it isn't aimed at a dead person who is not here to defend said "humor". I was surprised to hear you say something like this, considering the fact that you have a rather high standing in the steel community. I guess I had expected a man of your standing to weigh his words more carefully considering that standing.
But, no hard feelings, despite the fact that you also saw your opportunity to write about my sense of humor in an unrelated thread.
By the way, If you had cared to read my name properly, it is Bent Romnes.
Oh and no explanation needed on this daughter joke. I got it and it's funny :-) Matter of fact, First time I heard it in a slightly different fashion, I laughed so hard my cradle shook ;-)

Have a great day,Bobbe!
Jim Simon

Post by Jim Simon »

Here we go!!!!!
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Bent, just want you to know that I saw this post of yours and appreciate your humour and intelligence.
Out of my respect for you I'll not verbally do any sparing with you, I have always liked you and your postings and don't want any of my remarks to put you off or hurt you in any way. Sorry about my spelling of your name, as the world knows I'm not the best in that field.
I apoligise if I have offended you in any way.
Jim Reeves and I were both aviation fans from the word "go", We had a lot of fun together for a short time in aviation but he kept "Pushing the weather" no matter what I'd say to him. He had just bought a Beechcraft Debonair" which is a type of straight tail "Bonanza" high performance A/C. And I bought the standard "V" tail, was learning from the same instructor when Jim made several serious mistakes in a row and ended up nose down in south Nashville, (Brentwood). If he'd have listened to me, he'd still be on RCA DOING WHAT HE DID BEST!!! I lost a good friend then, I and just lost another in Ben Keith.

Bobbe
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Bobbe, thanks for that one. I figured that once this was put to you in a nice way that you would understand where I am coming from. No verbal sparring intended now or earlier. No offense taken either.

After I posted to you, upon reflection, I thought to myself: Oh oh...both of these guys are (were) pilots and most likely friends, what did I get myself into here? But you replied in a most gracious way.

I have been a huge Jim fan ever since 1960. Met with Mary in 1971 and had the time of my life when she invited me out to dinner, and afterward drove me around Nashville on a sightseeing trip. So I guess I am an admirer in awe of both Jim and Mary. So in my defense I guess I can say that I am a bit touchy when I read anything that can be taken the wrong way about these two fine people.

Bobbe, thanks again for clearing up the misunderstanding.
Friends. :-)
Bent
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Bent, you are so much appreciated, as always.
Thank you so much my great friend,
Bobbe :)
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

With all the cross talk I have missed the plot. :)
Is it possible to rent a pedal steel in Nashville?
Best regards
Billy