jim reeves steel player

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

After a thorough search, I was unable to locate the article that was mentioned in my previous post (not even in my back issues of the National Enquirer). Due to this fact, my apologies for any misinformation that may have been contained in that post.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

David I should apologize also, but it gets to me when the facts are not on the money. I deal with that all the time and after awhile it gets to me. The long and short of it was that Buddy left Casey Clark, worked with Dickens, then Ernest Tubb, then with Gordon Terry, then back with Ernest, first on guitar and then steel after Bobby Garrett left, then with Ray Price. After Ray he did some time with Roger Miller and session work in Calfornia, then back to Nashville by which time Reeves had been dead about ten years. During those years he might have done a session with Reeves or maybe filled in a date. I know he did a little time with George Jones also so who knows.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Wow, lots of people are paying attention to this thread behind the scenes.

For the info asked about Bobby Rhodes in the five e-mails sent to me, he played with several named country stars and filled in with many road bands. He hailed from St Paul Min. and was a close friend of Hal Rugg.

This info came from his son, Kyle Rhodes, who who now lives and works in Vancouver, Canada (he moved north in Feb. 2009). He is also a great steel player and has pictures of himself with Gene Watson, Merle Hagard.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

The great song "According to My heart" by Reeves was Jimmy Day playing a D-8 Sho-Bud, (no knees).
I still have the D-8 Bigsby he played along with Sonny Burnett on many sessions in those days.

I find it interesting that so many of you seem to really care about the golden era of steel guitar and country music. GREAT!
We are at the dawn of a new era in steel guitar now. I'll be writing more about this in my news letter starting this summer.
Bobbe
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

did jimmy day play on jim reeves song dont ask me why.
Last edited by Daniel McKee on 15 Jul 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

RIck Garrett told me it was his Dad Bobby who had his steel thrown down the stairs by Mr Reeves ...he was obviously a complete a**hole despite his voice !!
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Not to great a pilot either,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Paddy Long wrote:RIck Garrett told me it was his Dad Bobby who had his steel thrown down the stairs by Mr Reeves ...he was obviously a complete a**hole despite his voice !!
Paddy, Did Rick also tell you Reeves' reasons for throwing the steel down the stairs?
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

BobbeSeymour wrote:Not to great a pilot either,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Bobbe, THAT was a cheap shot. No need for a man of your stature to talk like that about a respected and loved singer.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hi Bent, Jim was in all probability one of the top five country vocalists ever. However, he did have a "communication problem". I will say the last time Bobby Garrett and I talked to Jim at the Reo Club in Longview,Tx., he was very cordial to both of us. My best to you, Jody.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Bent no he didn't but the episode would suggest Mr Reeves had a volatile side to his nature :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Jody Sanders wrote:Hi Bent, Jim was in all probability one of the top five country vocalists ever. However, he did have a "communication problem". I will say the last time Bobby Garrett and I talked to Jim at the Reo Club in Longview,Tx., he was very cordial to both of us. My best to you, Jody.
Thanks for the response, Jody.
Yes, he was not only in all probability, but THE best top 5. This can be proven several ways. I will tell you one, which really packs a punch: We all know how popular the Beatles were in the early 60's. Jim beat them by having the longest standing song on the European top 20. Distant Drums was on # 1 for 5 weeks and on the top 20 for 40 weeks.
As we know, stardom can get to the best of us. We will never know the true reason Jim had for doing what he did. There is never any good reason for violence, I know, but some frustration did cause it. The fact that he was nice to you and Bobby later on, suggests that he apologized to Bobby and that they made up. I don't feel it is appropriate for us to dig up old bones when it means so little to the person's overall behaviour, especially when he is dead and unable to defend himself.

Thanks again Jody, for your respectful post.
Bill Duncan

Jim Reeves

Post by Bill Duncan »

The steel guitar was owned by Jim. Jim had supposedly mentioned to Bobby several times not to leave the guitar sitting on steps and in awkward places as someone could fall over it. So, he was evidently upset as he (Jim) stumbled over it and became angry and shoved it down a few more steps.

However the steel did belong to Jim.

BD
You can observe a lot just by looking
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Well, that puts a milder twist on the whole steel guitar incident don't it? So he was upset at Bobby for that..it was Jim's steel guitar and he had a somewhat legit reason for getting upset at Bobby. It is enlightening to get the full story isn't it? Like we say, a story always has 2 sides.
Bill, it sounds like you knew Jim?
Thanks for enlightening us all :)