Telecaster stolen

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

John Scanlon

Telecaster stolen

Post by John Scanlon »

Sad to report my red '62 RI Telecaster (about '87, MIJ, double-bound, brass saddles, rosewood 'board) was stolen yesterday from a friend's house here in Jackson, MS, as well as his black-out FrankenStrat with 3 P-90s.

We've launched a Facebook campaign, spread the words to our local musician buddies, and are contacting pawn shops and music stores in the area. We're filing reports through the PD and the Sheriff's Dep't.

Anyone who's had gear stolen in the past have any other advice on how to go about searching for it?
Ron Whitfield

That sux!

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Don't forget checking dumpsters everywhere. We've had the last few celebrity thefts find theirs dumped.
Place an add in craigslist/etc and watch the same.

For a secret way to ID your stuff, use an ultra-violet pen marked in a covered cavity or under a 'finish' and it'll show up using a black light.

Good luck finding the gear, and the perps!
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

Sometimes it's more effective to just watch Craiglist rather than to post on there. Posting might prevent the thieves from advertising your gear.
Ron Whitfield

True, but...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Scott Shipley wrote:Sometimes it's more effective to just watch Craiglist rather than to post on there. Posting might prevent the thieves from advertising your gear.
Flip side, they are usually so dumb and jacked to sell they don't keep a watch on it. Dbl. edged sword.
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

John, if you can, please inbox me some details like the serial numbers if you have them, and pics. I'll put out a bulletin to my mailing list and on my webpages.
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

Can't figure out how to inbox serials and pics. I may email them.
Michael Eastman

Post by Michael Eastman »

You can always have an RFID chip installed. This way if the thing shows up 5 years later and you have a copy of the police report you're probably going to get it back.

Check out SNAGG.com (I have no affiliation with them).
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Stolen from a friends house...

I hate this happened to you. I sure hope you get it returned...

About 30 years ago, which was 10 years into a 4 decade musical journey I came to the realization that I leave nothing behind , anywhere, that can't be replaced or that I do not want to end up missing. Guitars go with me and come back with me, amps, maybe, depends on which one.

Your friends house has Home Owners Insurance, use it, he owes you a guitar and should file the claim.
File the claim as a hobbyist, not a professional musician.

Most likely the gear was stolen by a so called friend of your friend, someone connected....maybe to a sister or a brother...someone connected.

good luck, hope you get a resolution..

t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

A few years back someone broke into my house and stole a new telly I had, a pistol, a chain saw, and a few screw drivers. There was lots of other stuff, but that's all he took. Cops believed it was one of the construction workers from the then new housing development down the road, and there were a few other break ins as well in the area. Anyway, I had the serial number for the telly. It took a few months but it turned up in a hock shop over in Dayton. I had to pay the hock on it, and I reimbursed the insurance company also so they would take the claim off my record. The guy hocked a new 1200 dollar axe for 75 bux. When I got it back, it had a few scratches on it, but now had a history. ha....anyway...good luck.....thieves are the lowest form of life there is, and should be hung up and flogged when caught. The police told me that virtually every break in in this area are related to drugs.
Chuck Cusimano

Post by Chuck Cusimano »

John, So Sorry to hear of this. I had a 1968 Fender Telecaster stolen out of my car in Dallas in 1973, and I'm still not over it. I went into a club, to see who was in the Jam session, and was talked into getting up right then and there. Like a dumb kid, (which I was) I said, "My guitar's in the car, let me go get it." and they all said, "Aw, come on! we got lots of guitars here." I KNOW, (even if I can't prove it) that it was one of the musicians involved with the jam that went out and broke the window out of my car, and stole my Tele, and Amp. The thief knew I wasn't coming out right away. To this day, I look for that guitar.
I sure hope you find your gear!! Good luck.
They call it FILL 'cause it goes in the holes. Don't cover up the singer.
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

This is making me realize I'm going to be talking about this for a while. Posted it over at the Telecaster forum and got some good replies. Still crossing fingers.

Thanks, all, for the words.
John Scanlon

pics of stolen Tele

Post by John Scanlon »

Chris Forbes

Post by Chris Forbes »

cool looking guitar