WINNIE WINSTON Forgotten?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Howard

WINNIE WINSTON Forgotten?

Post by Bill Howard »

It seems someone that was so instrumental in Pedal Steel Guitars especially the instruction area as Winnie Winston would be at least mentioned someplace,Winnie built a steel,taught steel guitar in person as well as probably one of the BEST Pedal Steel instruction books ever written (please no wars!). Me being one of Winnies book learned Students He lived in a firehouse in Phil Pa and was a Professor (I think),Don't think he ever combed his hair:). Wore Cowboy Boots.... But what a brilliant man he was I just wanted to say Thanks Winnie for all your help!,He always had time to say hello to you (with his new england accent). He Loved Steel Guitars and knew anyone who knew anything about them, His book is still being sold probably several million copies sold by now,I bet a lot of guys playing today owe their start to Winnie and his little book with the square record in it:),I wore the HOLE out on it play Nobody Cares about my Cares.......RAG or he thinks I still care in stereo so you could play along by turning off one track remember that?. thanks again Winston I have not forgtten you!.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

"several million copies"

Winnie is great.

However I think you might exaggerate a tad on the size of the market for pedal steel books.
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

Winnie was the man. He was a great help to me as a young fledgling pain in the butt steel player. He was more than ready to help you out in any way he could. His site is well worth a visit.
http://julianwinston.com/
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

It matters very little weather Pedal Steel Guitar sold 1 mill or 100 thou. Main thing is that in its time it was the bible for pedal steel. We owe a debt of gratitude to Winnie, Bill Keith and all who were involved in bringing this book to our attention.
Bless his memory for the fine work he did.
Dick Sexton

The Book...

Post by Dick Sexton »

I bought his book about 6 months before I ever owned a steel or had touched one. Read it cover to cover several times before getting my steel.

Own my second copy now, gave the first to a new player... Just the pictures are worth the price of the book, IMO. And so much more... Is it dated, yes. But the beginning is still and always will be the beginning, I would recommend it to any beginner. It can take you far.
Last edited by Dick Sexton on 12 Jul 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

You are absolutely correct that it doesn't matter a bit how many books Winnie sold. It is the content that is important. I only mention it in case someone is thinking they will get rich from writing a Pedal Steel how-to book. Based on Amazon rankings and the time it has been on the market, Winnie's book has sold probably around 1,500 copies.
Bill Howard

Book sales

Post by Bill Howard »

1500 Copies?.Winnie told me(yes I knew him) that around 10,000 copies had been published in 1979. this book is STILL being sold ALL over the world.
its sad you can't even say something nice about someone.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

10,000 may have been published, but not sold. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but go check the amazon figures for yourself. The book sells one copy every 5 days. Do the math.

Of course that doesn't include all the copies that people buy and then resell or give away to others.

Plus I resent the fact that I'm saying something bad about Winnie. Winnie's worth is not measured in the number of books he sold. I'd say something else but it is against the forum rules.

Also according to amazon it was published in 1991. Maybe there was an earlier version that sold in the millions. This one sold in the low thousands.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Forgotten? No, I don't think Winnie will ever be forgotten. Countless aspiring pedal steel players used his book and instruction to learn how to play. It's timeless really. Just as relevant today as then.

Some different changes are used currently that might not be addressed and of course the players copedents listed have probably been updated, but it's still a good find.

It's a great tool for learning by tab, but besides that, he showed us how to apply some basic music theory to pedal steel along with the Nashville number system. A fine foundation to build on. It's worth the price of the book just for that.

I still have mine and the floppy audio disc that came with it.
Bill Howard

I was wrong

Post by Bill Howard »

I'm so very sorry for posting a number sold I was OnLY trying to salute winnie nothing more
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

The book in question was originally published in 1975 by "Oak Publications". At the time, Oak was primarily a source for Bluegrass related instruction manuals. The fact that both authors (Winnie Winston and Bill Keith) were award winning banjo players may have played a small part in that. If the Amazon records only date from 1991, it is feasible that the book could have easily sold over 10,000 copies.
Carson Leighton

Post by Carson Leighton »

I still have mine and still have the little square record...I think it is a great book,,very informative,,he didn't leave anything out....I think I'll go dig it out....
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Bill McCloskey wrote:...according to amazon it was published in 1991. Maybe there was an earlier version that sold in the millions. This one sold in the low thousands.
Bill, the published date on Amazon is much later than the original, which was 1975. See the link below on the Forum catalog. According to what I've read, when this book was originally published there was very little teaching materials available for Pedal Steel.

http://pedalsteelmusic.com/instruction.html#I200

edited to say that David Nugent beat me to the draw. :)
Last edited by Dave Burr on 12 Jul 2010 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Respectfully,
david burr
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I got two of 'em...
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I bought my first Pedal Steel from Steve Lamb at Steel City Music in White Settlement (Fort Worth) and Steve handed me that book and said "Learn this stuff, and you're on your way." How true.. I've still got it.
Lost Pines Studio
"I'm nuts about bolts"
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Yep, Winnie was the best. His book is great. Let's leave it there.
Steve Alcott

Post by Steve Alcott »

I will always remember Winnie for his encouragement and support when my first practice tracks came out. We corresponded a bit after that and had some pretty wide-ranging conversations via email over the next few years. I still have my floppy record version of his book as well as a CD version. I've always recommended it as one of best tutorials around on this difficult instrument.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I miss Winnie's posts on the forum. He was very stoic and inspiring as he was dying. Great man.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I probably sell as many copies of that book as Amazon does. I suspect that Scotty and Bobbe do, too. It's always been a best seller. It's still one of the best books ever written about our instrument.

Winnie Winston has always been one of my steel guitar idols. He had his whole heart in everything he did.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Winnie was a personal friend to many of us here in the Delaware Valley.
I replaced him in the Jim Six & City Limits band back around 78-79. I stole all his early licks because we played mostly Jim's originals.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

It is amazing to see the unlikely people who would have this book. I know this guy - 43- a machinist of trade, never played a note in his life. but lo and behold, he has the book, is somewhat of a Curly Chalker fan and is very interested in the workings of the pedal steel.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

For you steel players who are also banjo fans, Winnie's banjo playing on the early live recordings with David Grisman (I believe they were re-released under the title,"Early Dawg") are well worth a listen. One of the fastest, cleanest banjo pickers I have heard.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Winnie's contributions have indeed been discussed here on the Forum, on many occasions, though not lately (to my knowledge). He was the very first person I looked up when I moved to Philly in 1984. I took lessons from him every once in a while and we'd just hang together. He'd sit in with my band (Beats Walkin') on occasion and we'd have a great time playing twin steels. I had the honor of playing with my band at his going-away party in the firehouse when he moved to New Zealand, and then years later, the sad honor of playing steel guitar at his memorial service. Naturally, I just had to play 'Danny Boy', a tune he dearly loved and taught so many of us to play through his writing. He is well-remembered for his great contributions not only to the world of steel guitar, but also in homeopathic medicine and in industrial design. Pretty darn close to a Renaissance Man, I'd have to say.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Deleted to save space
Last edited by Bo Legg on 16 Jul 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Winnie's book got me very enthused.

Winnie also came to be a very good friend with our correspondence as he got "old".

Now I have more in common with him than ever.

He was a total David Bromberg fan and friend.

Some heretic posted a link to David's "Dying Crapshooters' Blues" on his obit here. I know he approved..

Let no one forget his vacancy on the SGHOF board somewhat "lowered the bar" for induction, as did Jeff Newmann's, and Tom Bradshaw's.

Play on Julian, good mentor, inspiration, teacher and friend.

That's all the input I have.

;)

EJL