First Post:: I need a new Lap Steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Michael Eastman

First Post:: I need a new Lap Steel

Post by Michael Eastman »

Although I've been playing guitar for 40 something years I've never really given the lap steel a chance. I currently have a late 40's, early 50's Rick 6 string that's been sitting around doing nothing so I'm giving it go. The problem with the guitar is that the tuners a shot and keeping it in tune consumes a lot of time. Regardless, I would like to purchase an 8 string (that would do 6 string duty too). I'm not ready to drop a big wad on something "high end" and would like to look more towards the entry level market without venturing into the "crap" level.

If you have any suggestions or need a little more info from me... let's get started!
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Welcome aboard, Michael
Here's a DynaLap that didn't sell on eBay.
Maybe you can contact the seller and get it for even cheaper.
These are probably the best value going. Low price/high end sound.

Good luck!
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Maybe you can get some new tuners from Stewart-MacDonald and get the old guitar working. They have a site and a catalog available.
I believe it's stewmac.com
Michael Eastman

Thanks for both the replies. I may just go the new tuner route but I do want to get a new "toy". I'm going to give it another day or 2 and see what other suggestions come up before I pull the trigger one way or another.
Michael Maddex

Elderly

Post by Michael Maddex »

Michael, if you haven't already, you might want to take a look over at Elderly Music:

http://www.elderly.com/

They usually have some new 8-stringers at a good price as well as a nice selection of used and vintage instruments.

HTH.
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Delvin Morgan

Post by Delvin Morgan »

Like Ron said, the Dynalaps are topnotch. I have one and the tone will amaze you. Run it through a small tube amp, and wow, old time sound.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Always worth checking out the Instruments for sale section, Bill Moore has an early Dynalap for sale here
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=187670
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

I can also highly recommend Randy Cordle at www.bluestemstrings.com. He makes a great quality steel for a mid-range price, and his split coil pickups sound great.

Welcome to the forum!
Brick Spieth

Post by Brick Spieth »

I'll bet Jim Palanscar of steel Guitars of North County (San Diego) could have your Rick up and running in no time. Give him a call.
Gary Stevenson

8-string

Post by Gary Stevenson »

I have a 8-string lap steel with a Jerry Wallace pickup.If interested I can email pics.I am asking $300.00 plus shipping
Travis Hillis

Post by Travis Hillis »

The Peavey Powerslide is a great axe and only $200.
You can even play it standing up.
Then again, I bet that Rick would sound great with new tuners.

:)
Michael Eastman

Brick Spieth wrote:I'll bet Jim Palanscar of steel Guitars of North County (San Diego) could have your Rick up and running in no time. Give him a call.
Although I do plan on purchasing a new guitar I will definately check out his business. I searched around for a set of new tuners but all the specs I was seeing told me nothing was going to fit.
Michael Eastman

Delvin Morgan wrote:Like Ron said, the Dynalaps are topnotch. I have one and the tone will amaze you. Run it through a small tube amp, and wow, old time sound.
So you're saying it would sound good through one of these? :whoa:
I guess I may have just found a use for it. It's been sitting around just doing nothin'

Last edited by Michael Eastman on 13 Jul 2010 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

:whoa:
Paul M. Matthews

Re: First Post:: I need a new Lap Steel

Post by Paul M. Matthews »

Michael Eastman wrote:Although I've been playing guitar for 40 something years I've never really given the lap steel a chance. I currently have a late 40's, early 50's Rick 6 string that's been sitting around doing nothing so I'm giving it go. The problem with the guitar is that the tuners a shot and keeping it in tune consumes a lot of time. Regardless, I would like to purchase an 8 string (that would do 6 string duty too). I'm not ready to drop a big wad on something "high end" and would like to look more towards the entry level market without venturing into the "crap" level.

If you have any suggestions or need a little more info from me... let's get started!
IMHO Bob Allen makes a top of the line Lap Pro 8 for about $250-$300. I have one and love it. You choose the wood, pickups, stain, knob location etc. It comes with a bag and chord too. He also sends you emails of his progress on your baby. Here is his web site: http://www.musonmt.com/4.html
Good Luck!!
I want to Steel it all.....
Ron Whitfield

yikes...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

[quote="Michael Eastman
Image[/quote]
No Michael, that will not do at all! You should send it to me and get it out of your hair...
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

That amp is probably my Holy Grail for lap steel. I could never afford it, and they sound magnificent. That guitar and this amp should be as good as it gets for someone starting out- some of us lifelong addicts don't have it that good.
Mark Lavelle

Post by Mark Lavelle »

Travis Hillis wrote:The Peavey Powerslide is a great axe and only $200.
...if the design doesn't cause you to have seizures! ;-)

Am I the only one who thinks that is a seriously ugly guitar?

-- Mark
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Agreed. Fugly in a horrid, poison-esque way... but nearly a perfect design. I hate pointy guitars and it took me over a year to finally buy one. I want one in each color now. They are extremely useable, I have even grown accustomed to the weird pickup blend setup. the single coil side sounds like a tele pickup in a champion, the bucker side and most of the travel of the pot sound very fat, not at all twangy and very "Johnny Winter", if you can dig... ahem...
I want to replace the bridge and nut for something a bit more solid but it is a great guitar for the money. You'd pay that for an Indonesian Squier Stratocaster...
Travis Hillis

Post by Travis Hillis »

Yeah that ^

It looks better in person. When I first saw it online I didnt like it. But its VERY useable has a nice sound and great finish. My only issue is that a bit more sustain would be nice.

At least its unique...