Goodrich 120 or L120?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joey Aguilera

Goodrich 120 or L120?

Post by Joey Aguilera »

Hi Guys,

Been searching the forums for some info but can't seem to find what I am looking for so excuse me if this has been covered before.

Can anybody that has used both pedals just give me a quick pros/cons regarding the low profile 120?

Thanks!

Joey
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

They are the same thing only the L120 is flatter/thinner. I prefer the L120 because of how it fits under the steel.
Bob
Joey Aguilera

Post by Joey Aguilera »

Hey it's Bob! -- I think I told you this before but you were my inspiration for getting me into the steel. I have a live recording of Hem from KCRW in LA and when I heard you come in during "When I Was Drinking" it was all over for me. So if anybody out there hasn't taken a listen look him up. He's a real classy player.

I'm pretty short and have issues reaching the knee levers comfortably so I was worried the low profile 120 would be too low for me.
Meryle Swartz

Post by Meryle Swartz »

You might want to consider getting your steel lowered-- this involves someone shortening the legs and pedal rods. Forum member Chris Allen Burke did a great job on mine (previous owner was 6'5", i'm 5'7"). He's in Long Beach CA, which is not real far from you.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Joey,
Thanks for the compliments ! I'm really proud of Hem's recorded material.
I'm in the middle of another CD with Hem's producer now.

Anywoo, you can check with Jim Palenscar's "Steel Guitars of North County" in Oceanside for a height adjustment. Does great work and a good guy to know.
Bob
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

I have both and prefer the regular 120 because it has more pedal travel than the L120. They're both good pedals. I'm on the short side too so I also like the regular 120 because it fits better against the knee levers.

But you should listen to the other Bob ;-)
George Macdonald

Goodrich pedals

Post by George Macdonald »

I have had both for years, but recently sold my L-120. I just prefer the feel and travel of the regular height 120. The pivot point is in a diferent place in both pedals, and probably it is what you get used to and become most comfortable with.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I just bought George Macdonald's L120. I had a standard pedal, but had problems with my long legs bumping the undercarriage of my standard height steel. My low profile and standard pedals do have different pivot points. The first few times I used the L120, it felt funny, but I have used it enough now that it feels fine. I think it's just that-getting used to it.
Hey, mister, how do you pedal that thing anyway?

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" - Augustus McCrae
"From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth 'til death, we travel between the eternities" - Prentiss Ritter

Too many steels, amps & other stuff, and an open mind. I have tube amp bias.
Joey Aguilera

Post by Joey Aguilera »

Thanks guys,

I went ahead and ordered a standard 120. I'm 5'4" and figured the higher profile won't be much of an issue for me.

Bob and Meryle, thanks for the heads-up on the local guys that will lower my steel. I am definitely going to have that done when I get some extra cash.

Do any of you guys have an opinion on those volume pedal mounts? pros/cons/don't bother?
Brian McGaughey

Post by Brian McGaughey »

Joey,

I use a goodrich and I have the standard goodrich mount on it that just fits over the pedal bar.

I see lots of players that don't use a mount but I like mine to stay put.

If you find yours wandering off order a bracket.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

I tried the mount, but I like my VP angled a bit more than the mount allowed so I don't use it.

But - if you're playing on a slippery surface like wood, linoleum, etc. and don't have a mount, Brian's right, it will wander.

It all boils down to what you like and what works best for you.