Sho bud volume pedal

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Butcher

Sho bud volume pedal

Post by Mark Butcher »

I've been swapping things around and discovered that I am losing a lot of signal volume with my pedal even at the full up setting. It works well with no crackel so I'm loath to fix it if it ain't broke but I'd like the full signal from my pick up.

I wondered if the string wasn't twisting the pot fully. Any ideas?
Dennis Wallis

Post by Dennis Wallis »

That's possible ; try restringing it . I always make sure the pedal is in the full up position when string it so it will have full travel .
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Mark, The shobud pedals have two rubber bumpers inside--one in the front, one in the back--ditch them and you will get nearly 100% travel out of your pot. I replace the bumpers with a couple stick-on small felt dots(super glue them). Make sure the felt is the small thin stuff, or your just re-introducing the problem. Heck, you can even get by without anything in there if you want to. When you are playing, you'll never "bang" the pedal on or off anyways. But those bumpers limit your pot travel.
Mark Butcher

Post by Mark Butcher »

Thanks James, you always have the answer. Have you got ShoBud bridge fingers now?
Marvin Born

Post by Marvin Born »

A quick and dirty test would be to plug your guitar directly into the amp and play it. Then install the pedal and move it to max volume. If they are not the same then do the bumper mod.

You can also put a pencil mark on the pot shaft and run the pedal through its range. The pot should move 270 degrees.