Do singers appreciate what you play?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Cal Sharp

Do singers appreciate what you play?

Post by Cal Sharp »

Some guys get off on what you play, and some don't. Oh well...
Buy me a beer. :D
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

On my old Telecaster, I always get a :D so i suppose, it's ok!
Then i ask if i can play a bit o steel, when they hear me play they all look at each other and go :lol: :lol:
Don't let him try again!
A.K.A Chappy.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

C#, if the singer don't like what I play it usually means I'm playing for me or another steel player. Once when I worked for Jim Ed we were doing some real nice ballad and I was playing my butt off playing fills, I thought. He turned around and said "let me know when your done with your solo and I'll sing again. Life lessons.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Johnny, I've heard the storie's. Although I like to hear him sing,thats one dude I would never play for. So I'm sure it wasn't you.
BD
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

Bill, I don't have any clue as to what stories you have heard about Jim Ed, but his comment to me that evening is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever recieved. It took me a while to understand it but in the long term I wouldn't take anything for it. I actually loved working with him and did a show recently here in Texas with he and Helen Cornelious. I don't think you'll need to worry about turning the gig down though. Darrell Hornberger has been with him for over twenty years now. Careful how much stock you put into the stories you hear. Most of them are BS.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
John Ummel

Post by John Ummel »

Jeff Newman's column in issue #1 of Steel Guitarist magazine (still available) was titled "Lay Back, Lay Out or Laid Off", words to live by when backing up a singer.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

C#, if the singer don't like what I play it usually means I'm playing for me or another steel player.
Um, my point was supposed to be that singers could show a little more appreciation once in a while to the band for their efforts. A pat on the back, a beer, a big sloppy kiss... :whoa:

You could also take a look at Fills and Taste.
Last edited by Cal Sharp on 1 Jul 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C#
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

Cal, my duh. Remember as much as we love them they are still singers. It's all about them.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

It's all about them.
No kidding. But we wouldn't have a gig without them. :D
C#
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Sometimes they sure do:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/2 ... and-lovely

If you don't feel like clicking the Newspaper article link, here's a short cut and paste:

Last time you were here local steel player Bill Ladd of Da Howlies sat in with you. Is it tough playing with someone new on such short notice?

"Not when they are talented like Bill Ladd. He's a great player, a great person and I so much enjoy playing with him. He understands. He listens to the music."

That one made me smile for a week or two!
John Ummel

Post by John Ummel »

I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to play a few shows with Ferlin Husky when he was in the Northwest doing shows for the Disabled American Veterans (D.A.V.) and he told me at the end of our series how much he had enjoyed the steel part I played on "Wings of a Dove". That was just about bettern money! Total class act that Ferlin! and sometimes we (steel players) get it right too!
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Johnny Cox wrote:C#, if the singer don't like what I play it usually means I'm playing for me or another steel player. Once when I worked for Jim Ed we were doing some real nice ballad and I was playing my butt off playing fills, I thought. He turned around and said "let me know when your done with your solo and I'll sing again. Life lessons.
How many times have most band members been reminded of this mistake. Drummers probably more than others; however, there is nothing worse than a musician who tries to do the big intro, fills, bridges and wraps all on their own. Vocalists hate this and not many other band members appreciate a self proclaimed, star attraction of a five piece band and vocalist.
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Johnny Cox wrote:Bill, I don't have any clue as to what stories you have heard about Jim Ed, but his comment to me that evening is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever recieved. It took me a while to understand it but in the long term I wouldn't take anything for it. I actually loved working with him and did a show recently here in Texas with he and Helen Cornelious. I don't think you'll need to worry about turning the gig down though. Darrell Hornberger has been with him for over twenty years now. Careful how much stock you put into the stories you hear. Most of them are BS.
Mostly, from around central Mo. I've just heard he was very hard to work with. Helen on the other hand is a sweetheart. I've met her several times when she was with the Grand Ladies.
Hope to see you in Branson.
BD
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Last singer I worked with, after the gig, turned to me and said, 'Jim, of all the steel players I've ever worked with, you're the most recent.' :roll:
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I'm very fortunate- the singers in the two bands I play with the most these days are both very vocal and demonstrative about how much they like my playing, and they're both phenomenal vocalists. Makes for wonderful gigs.
I still appreciate getting to hear them sing from out front or on record, as they're both masters of nuance and expression that are sometimes hard to hear onstage. I wonder if some of our steel-playing subtleties get lost on our band members the same way...
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Last singer I worked with, after the gig, turned to me and said, 'Jim, of all the steel players I've ever worked with, you're the most recent.'
I've heard "Wow, Cal, you really sounded!". :?
C#
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The many guys that I've worked for, over the 4 decades now, have run the gamut from a few despising the fact that I was in the band, being tolerated by some for my eccentricities, being liked by some but considered expendable, being loved by some but considered replaceable, to being adored, praised to the audience, and considered absolutely necessary for the success of the gig.

Currently I have a great relationship with the leaders of both bands I regularly work for, and can play pretty much whatever I want, so I must have learned the lessons of what a steel player should and shouldn't do.

Which, after 43 years of this crap, I would expect would happen by now.

BTW, have you ever heard a girl singer practice her scales? "Mi me me me me me me me." :lol:

Cal, I'm doing a few gigs with "Pierre" Michaud this month, so I'll send him your greetings at tonight's gig.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

I have become good friends with an American transplant in Canada, Kyle Rhodes who has played with Jim Ed, Ferlin Husky and Webb Pierce. He said that Jim Ed was very fussy and picky about his backup, Webb Pierce tended to show up five minutes before a show " well lubricated" and sometimes would head off stage for a "booster shot" and would have to be talked into going back on stage to finish his show. He also claims that Ferlin Husky is/was beautiful to work with.

I think these big names have bad and good days just like the rest of us.
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Cal, I'm doing a few gigs with "Pierre" Michaud this month, so I'll send him your greetings at tonight's gig.
Merci, mon ami.
C#
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Les Anderson wrote:Webb Pierce tended to show up five minutes before a show " well lubricated" and sometimes would head off stage for a "booster shot" and would have to be talked into going back on stage to finish his show
That was my experience as well with WP. That, and bad mouthing the band onstage to the audience. Guess it was one of those "bad nights" for the Webbster, huh? :x
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Johnny Cox

Post by Johnny Cox »

I worked for Jody Nix for a couple years and there was never any doubt that he appreciated what I played with him. He told me daily. And there have been a few others too.
Musicians are like bus drivers, nessecary evils unless your in southern gospel, they all stopped using bands years ago and use their album
tracks.
Bill, being married to a girl from your neck of the woods I know the stories that you guys hear. Here is my thought on stories. I don't believe anything I hear and only about half of what I see. Most of the time if I see it I get it wrong by the time I tell it. This Is actually been proven scientificly. And yes Helen is a sweetheart.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Herb Steiner wrote:That was my experience as well with WP. That, and bad mouthing the band onstage to the audience. Guess it was one of those "bad nights" for the Webbster, huh? :x

To be truthful, I have never worked with any of the big named country artists but, I have worked with a couple of big name R&B vocalists and found that both were very easy and a pleasure to work with.

On the other hand, I have attended more than one appearance of big name country music artists that left me shaking my head and wondering why the band members stay with these people.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Jim Cohen wrote:Last singer I worked with, after the gig, turned to me and said, 'Jim, of all the steel players I've ever worked with, you're the most recent.' :roll:
'Thanks. It's been a pressure working with you. I really endured it.' :\
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

If some Prima Donna Singer starts giving you a bad time, just start playing off-fret and it will really screw them up. I remember when a Singer was just another side man and after it was their turn to sing they went back to their chair and sat down ! You can really tell how outdated I am !
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Playing with a new (to me ) band these days and they tell me over and over how they like what I do! :D 1st gig w/them a few weeks back I played Tele. Buck,Derailers,Rockabilly,ect. They loved it! The following week they were doing a bunch of Hank Sr....brought out the Stringmaster. Most had never seen one!!
They were more than kind!! Last night..60's,70's, early 80's Country and a little Rockabilly...brought the Sho~Bud Pro III. I have never been made to feel more welcome or appreciated for what I did before! and all this from some of the best musicians/ singers I have ever had the pleasure of working with. :D
They are out there although they are few and far between sometimes. Its so easy to find the groove when the singers let you know how much they like what your doing and you kind of play off of each other!
What could be better? :D
Twang to the bone!