Does anyone know this steel lick?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Campbell

Does anyone know this steel lick?

Post by Rick Campbell »

Ok, all you good players that have the ability to figure out licks from hearing the record. I'd like to know what's going on with the pick up notes of this Connie Smith song intro. I don't care about the rest of the intro, just these pick up notes. Anyone up for the challenge? This one has me stumped. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c54GK6ZXl1s
frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

I'm not near a Steel Guitar right now but I would say start at the 10th fret with B and C pedals down and 2nd string lowered 1/2 tone, pick strings 2,3,4 and then 3,4,5 and the slide to the 8th fret and pick 2,3,4 and then while picking 3,4,5 release B and C leaving 2nd string lowered. :D
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

I can hear it...ill post it for you when i get home if you like..
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
richard burton

My guess

Post by richard burton »

Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Rick, my first BIAB tune I made after getting your BIAB DVD was "Let Old Mother Nature have Her Way", that lick is used going from a 1 to a 2 chord in this particular case. Weldon Myric and Hal Rugg used that lick a lot as you know. If you look at my playing that video, about 40 seconds into the tune you can see and hear how I do it. Al Udeen a Forum member here showed me that lick. He said Weldon showed it to him.

Frank Rogers answer is correct I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-8d8PeayAs
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Frank's right. I love that lick and the one he uses at the beginning of the turnaround.

Tony
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Roger's got the lick. Sounds good to me. When I get a chance I'll check out the instructions posted here.

Tony - I love the lick going into the turn around too. I wanted to ask about it too, but I didn't want to ask for too much at once. I hear that lick a lot and I can do something similar, but I don't have it right, so I'm all ears if anyone wants to explain that one too.
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Rick if I could get to my guitar at this time I could video it and post it for you to see, but I am working on my music room and won't get it finished until next week at the soonest. If Mickey Adams posts that lick you might get it from him sooner. If not
I will be glad to send you a video on how I do it.

By the way, the first BIAB rhythm track I made after using your instructional BIAB DVD was "Let Old Mother Nature Have Her Way" using that particular lick going from a 1 to 2. I just hummed the tune and wrote the numbers for the song as I hummed it, found the closest Style and set the beats in BIAB and Shazam! I had it. I did have to do some touch up before finalizing the track which I'd say would be normal for someone like me who don't know much about how it's done. :)

Also, I might add Al Udeen is the father of Chad Udeen, a Nashville Pro Steeler...Al was kind enough to show me that lick via e-mail several years ago.
FWIW.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Roger Kelly wrote:Rick if I could get to my guitar at this time I could video it and post it for you to see, but I am working on my music room and won't get it finished until next week at the soonest. If Mickey Adams posts that lick you might get it from him sooner. If not
I will be glad to send you a video on how I do it.

By the way, the first BIAB rhythm track I made after using your instructional BIAB DVD was "Let Old Mother Nature Have Her Way" using that particular lick going from a 1 to 2. I just hummed the tune and wrote the numbers for the song as I hummed it, found the closest Style and set the beats in BIAB and Shazam! I had it. I did have to do some touch up before finalizing the track which I'd say would be normal for someone like me who don't know much about how it's done. :)

Also, I might add Al Udeen is the father of Chad Udeen, a Nashville Pro Steeler...Al was kind enough to show me that lick via e-mail several years ago.
FWIW.
I wondered about those licks for 10 years or more, a few more days won't matter. I probably still won't be able to play them even thought I know what to do. I got the intro lick in mind for an original song that I'm working on. It just begs for that lick.

For the BIAB process, that's exactly how I do it. Basic song and then tweak. You sound like you've got it figured out.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
:)
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Frank I think you are right but I think it is just A and B pedal in the intro. The first 2 triads are on strings 1 2 3. The last B flat is kinda outré and might not have been there if they had done another take.

Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Here's the pickup notes also listed on my site tab pages here!

Tab in pdf form!

Hear it

Greg
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I guess I've opened a can of worms. Seems that there's a lot of disagreement on how this lick is accomplished. Being a fiddler is a lot simpler, nobody ever ask you how to do anything. :lol:

Keep the ideas coming. I'm sure they will all be useful.

frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

Earnest Bovine wrote:Frank I think you are right but I think it is just A and B pedal in the intro. The first 2 triads are on strings 1 2 3. The last B flat is kinda outré and might not have been there if they had done another take.

If I'm not mistaken, the same triad bolded above is accomplished with pedals b and c and strings 2,3,4. since b and c and strings 2,3,4 are needed to finish the "lick", I always felt better equipped to execute the lick from the b,c pedal position and strings 2,3,4, in order to minimize the changing of string grips in the process. This "lick" was used extensively By Weldon and Hal in the early to mid seventies and is one of my favorites. If you worked with an artist that used either of those guys on their sessions, then this "lick" was likely a prerequisite. :)
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Right you are; it is D, not C, on the 2nd half of the 3rd beat of the pickup bar thus behooving the appositeness of the C pedal.

Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Rick, FWIW...Hal Rugg tuned his E-9th 2nd string to a D instead of D# because he said he didn't like 1/2 stops. He raised the D to a D# on a different knee than the one used to drop the 2nd string to a C# such as RKR.
This way he could do that lick using only B+C pedals.

I'm not sure if Weldon Myric tuned the same way, but it would seem to me that he did since he did that lick so easily. To me, the hardest part of the lick is dropping the 2nd string to a D and holding it there during the lick, without being out of tune using a 1/2 stop, like I have on my RKR.
Weldon and Hal are two of my favorite players.
Alan Coldiron

Post by Alan Coldiron »

Rick - I think the lick goes:
Dee Dee Dydy Dody Do
Kenny Martin

Post by Kenny Martin »

the best example live of this lick is found on Tommy White's "Cool tips and hot licks" or Cool licks and hot tips" which ever way you say it!

he says on the video that Hal Rugg showed him and he also has an extended lick he added to it which is pretty awesome! you can still find a copy of the DVD around to buy and it's worth more than you have to pay! Priceless!!

just my feelings on!

hey Alan, i like your version "Dee Dee Dydy Dody Do" :lol: 8)
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Rick, Don't you love pedal steel ? So many ways to do the same line. Chestnut's, Too Cold at Home, comes to mind.
Bill
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I'll tab it in C. L= LOWERS 1/2 TONE HERE.

1---------------------------
2--10L------8L-------8L-----
3--10B------8B-------8------
4--10C------8C-------8------
5------10C------8C------8---
6---------------------------

The turnaround starts something like this.
LX= LOWERS 1 TONE. /= SLIDE

1-------------------8---------------------
2-------------------------8L/8LX----------
3---10B/9B--8B/8--------------------------
4----------------------8------------------
5----------------------------------8------
6-------------------------------------8B--

I hope this will help you. I think both are close to what he's doing.

Tony
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I don't remember a lick ever getting so much attention. I heard so much of Weldon because I listened to the Opry every chance I got, long before I even knew a steel player or had even seen a steel guitar in person. That was the Opry sound to me and it will always be the standard as far as I'm concerned. Weldon, and those guys, handled everything that was thrown at them with so much professionalism and taste. I'm thankful that I was around while this was going on. There's many people that will never experience the excitement and anticipation of hearing these masters at work live and often unrehearsed.

Anyway, back to the Weldon lick. William Litaker has a nice free instructional version on his Steel Guitar World forum. You have to be a member to view it, but he's got a free membership thing going, so check it out.
http://williamlitaker.ning.com/
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

Bill Moran wrote:Rick, Don't you love pedal steel ? So many ways to do the same line. Chestnut's, Too Cold at Home, comes to mind.
Actually, in this case, it looks like most of the suggestions are very close to the first response. There really appears to be just one definitive approach to this lick.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

My apologies for another tab but, it's a good way to pick everybody's brain on how they play the same lick.

Tony
Martin Johannesson

Post by Martin Johannesson »

One of my favorite Myrick intros ever! I tabbed this intro along with some other Myrick licks for Scotty's newsletter over 20 years ago. Here's the start of it.

Roger: Both Hal & Weldon tuned 2nd string to C# and raised it to D and D# with two seperate levers. Hal & Weldon along with Lloyd are my top 3 heroes also.
Last edited by Martin Johannesson on 30 Jun 2010 9:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Rick Campbell wrote:I guess I've opened a can of worms. Seems that there's a lot of disagreement on how this lick is accomplished. Being a fiddler is a lot simpler, nobody ever ask you how to do anything. :lol:

Keep the ideas coming. I'm sure they will all be useful.

Rick,

You should have made it clear that you wanted to know how to play it on the fiddle. :lol:

You're right though. This isn't the piano forum, where each note is found only in one place.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

I played it and have to say Martin has it nailed pretty good.