Changing Strings - Handy Tool

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Smart

Changing Strings - Handy Tool

Post by Tony Smart »

Changing Strings - Handy Gadget

This is so simple, I feel a bit embarrassed about putting it on here.
Anyway, this is for steels with a string on a pin changer finger.

Use a piece of soft wood and put a taper on it. Cut the width of the wedge a bit narrower than the changer finger width and put a hacksaw slot up the middle. (Not all the way)

Now put the string on the pin as usual, push the wedge down the back with the slot locating on the small piece of pin left showing. You are now hands free to mess about with the other end. Don’t forget to take out the wedge before the changer clamps on it as you tighten the string. Of course you’ll have to adjust the wedge dimensions to suit your steel and maybe open up the hacksaw slot to give slight clearance on the pin.

I’ve found it makes changing strings a lot easier and less frustrating.. So much so that I can give my mother in law her photo back – and at last see the dartboard again…..

A five-minute job????
There’s no such thing.
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

I use a small square piece of sponge. Works good. Keep a couple in the pac-a-seat for spares.
Les Green
73 MSA D10 8&4, 74 MSA S10 3&5, Legrande II 8&9, Fender Squier 6 string, Genesis III, Peavey 1000
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I use a flat school erasier and it works good for me.

Tony
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

I tried the flat school eraser suggestion this past weekend. It fit right down into the back slot and held that pesky ball end of the string right on the pin. No longer do I need three hands. Cut my string changing time down by maybe half.

And there I was thinking that I had heard all the hints and little tricks. Great suggestion.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

On a GFI the eraser's too big. I use a slender phillips head screwdriver (gently). It stays in all the way thru bringing the string up to pitch. Works great.

Someone posted the eraser tip earlier and I based the screwdriver on that. Good tip.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

The eraser works great on my Bud Pro and my Emmons, but if it's too large you can cut it easily with a penknife.
Cheap, too.
Best thing is it won't scratch or damage no matter how hard you jam it in there...
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
Tony Smart

Post by Tony Smart »

Just seen that other people have posted similar ideas. Never mind - some people may have missed
them.

I've been using this for years but just got around to posting it, so no offence to anyone.

Have found that the eraser idea can get stuck on the pin sometimes, but they're all good ideas - just depends what works for you.
John Ummel

Post by John Ummel »

My new GFI Expo has a slot instead of a pin, the ball end pulls up into the slot and stays put.
George Kimery

Changing Strings Handy Gadget

Post by George Kimery »

Tony, this is the same thing as my 3rd Hand Gadget that I had listed under items for sale a couple of months ago. Great minds think alike (yeah, right), I guess. Others probably thought of it before either of us. Anyway, it works great and nothing to wear out or tear up. Just have to watch loosing the little rascals.
Tony Smart

Post by Tony Smart »

Hi George ,

Sorry for double posting on this as I hadn't seen your previous postings.

I've been a mechanical instrument maker all my working life, so making up tools comes as second nature to me.

Good to know that those who aren't so good at making things can get one from you - and cheap.

Regards
Tony
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I use one side of a disassembled spring loaded wooden clothespin. Got a bucket full of 'em at the clothesline.
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
George Kimery

Changing Strings Handy Gadget

Post by George Kimery »

What ever works for you, fine. The advantage that my gadget has is because of the groove in it, it pushes the ball end of the string all the way up against the changer, which takes leverage and stress off the end of the pin making it less likety that you will break the pin off.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

And it does just that very well. No worry about breaking the pin. JR
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Clete Ritta

Re: Changing Strings - Handy Tool

Post by Clete Ritta »

I just took apart my U-12 to clean, lube, rerod and restring.
This gadget would have saved me some time had I thought of it too!
I like the eraser idea posted too. Oh well, next time ;)
Tony Smart wrote:...I’ve found it makes changing strings a lot easier and less frustrating...
Thanks for the Smart idea! :idea:

Clete
Jerry Roller

Word of caution!

Post by Jerry Roller »

Keep in mind that those pins may be longer than the string end is deep. Using such a device to hold the string in place might leave the ball out on the end of the pin. If you don't make certain that the string ball end is on as far as it can go (seated against the changer finger) you are putting pressure on that pin and it could cause it to break off. That is a pretty nasty problem to fix.
Jerry