Re: John Coop

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Adams

Re: John Coop

Post by Paul Adams »

Has anyone heard anything from John Coop. I tried to call him and email him, but haven't heard back from him. I know he wasn't feeling well at one point last year. I'd like to get in touch with him again for more parts. Thanks, all.
Greg Gefell

Post by Greg Gefell »

I spoke to John briefly a few days ago. He's been having a real rough time with some dental issues and I know he's in a lot of pain. Be patient and wish him a smooth recovery.
Paul Adams

Post by Paul Adams »

Thanks, Gregg:

I was more concerned about him than the parts. He's a great guy and I have enjoyed talking to him on quite a few occasions. Thanks for letting me know.
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

He kept my guitar for 1 year and 4 months and I was totally dis-satisfied with the work. Asked for my money back and never heard from him again.
Martin Huch

Post by Martin Huch »

I ordered 8 kneelevers for my two Pro1 from him in January.
Everything went absolutely perfect: fast, well packed and most important: great quality, perfect working parts !
I`m 100% satisfied in dealing with John Coop !!
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Coop's rebuild of a Pro II. Made a great guitar from a meadoker one !! :D Hope he is doing well.
Bill
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

Mark M.

What model is your guitar? Would you be willing to part with it? If you listed it on Instruments For Sale, I'll bet you'd get your money back. Some folks really don't like the tone change with Coop's work, and yes he can take some time. No arguments there! This is the second time you've made this exact statement, you must mean it. Just sell it.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Rick is right, Mark. If you advertise a "Cooped" instrument it will sell immediately.
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

Well, I wont argue here but I would be happy to discuss ad nauseum how awful I feel about this guitar.
Email me and I'd be happy to talk to you.

I have some pro player friends here in Nashville. They have seen the guitar and completely agree with me. I am not just being picky.

So I would be interested in selling it. It has taken awhile just to get over the bad feelings. Maybe Ill get it up soon. You are right, I need to get rid of it and just get past it.

But I was fooled by an apparent reputation on the forum and would like others not to be so fooled.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Mark, I'm sorry you don't like your Cooped Sho Bud. I can only speak for myself but Coop only made the old ShoBud more modern for me. Better fingers. Pedals and levers that would make changes that the old Bud would not. Much smoother to play.
I know that all factory guitar makers have a dud sometimes. But one does not mean the process is bad.
Coop strives to make a ShoBud better, or I might say, more modern. Coop loves a Bud !!!
I don't know him more than one guitar rebuild but, I would bet, if it is not right he will make it right. That is all any guitar mfg. will do.
Coop seems to be honest to me. He takes his time but the finished product will be worth it.
I know you don't want my advice but here it is. Sell it or give the man his due !
Sense your the only one I have heard a complaint from,
you owe Coop that.
I'm Just a Coop happy customer !!

My opinion :) That's what this Forum is about.
Bill
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Rebuilt w/ Coop parts........sounds great, plays like butter! So much better than the original.

Last edited by Tony Glassman on 29 Jun 2010 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Mark:
I have had the same type of experience with a couple of experts in the business. Both situations were completely unacceptable. But you will find little sympathy on this forum as there are a lot of folks here who buy into the myth's.
I have been lied to, cheated and no longer conduct business with these experts.
I guess two bad experiences out of many is not too bad. It just amazes me that it continues on and on.
Some of these conversions do a lot cosmetically but in the process ruin the original tone of the instrument.This has been my experience and maybe it was a once in a lifetime thing, but I don't think so. Some folks don't speak up as you will get jumped on by a lot of happy campers.

Old Bud