Beautiful Gibson on Ebay

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dirk B

Beautiful Gibson on Ebay

Post by Dirk B »

Just out of curiosity, why hasn't anyone bid on this pretty guitar? Is it too expensive? Do Gibsons have poor sound? Or are multi-neck Gibsons just not as hip as Fenders? It sure looks pretty to me. I'm not the guy selling it; just curious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... =191586462
Dana Duplan

Post by Dana Duplan »

That is a nice looking guitar, but it appears to be refinished, and the binding I don't believe is original (looks like Sho-Bud binding). Of course these things detract from the collectibility (which affects price). That said, it is still a nice looking guitar and would be a fine utility instrument. I owned a D8 Console Grande, and while I prefer Fenders, it was a great sounding and playing instrument. I have heard from many that they are on the mid-rangy side, but I don't totally agree--just listen to Don Helms!
DD
Rich Sullivan

Post by Rich Sullivan »

I agree with Dana. I have 4 Console Grande double-necks and a triple-neck. This one looks to be from 1951-1954. It is not a CD523, as listed. That is a later model made from oak with a different body shape. Any blonde guitar as old as this always appears much darker and yellowish. This must have been refinished. Also, the Gibson decal is missing. And the binding is non-original as Dana said. The other interesting thing is that the seller lists a serial number. I've never seen one on any CG. If anyone has ever seen one with a serial number, I would be very interested to hear from them. I'm guessing someone added this number to try and somehow make it more valid (???). I love these guitars, and this one is nice looking. If it was original, the price is reasonable. Rich