CMT Awards

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I'm glad Chet didn't apologize. It's good to have different styles in country music.
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Theresa Galbraith wrote:I'm glad Chet didn't apologize. It's good to have different styles in country music.
Theresa,you are right it is good,I'm to young to hear and play the same
old thing over and over.

Chet recorded the Steel Guitar Rag,I had a copy of it but being a 78 rpm. it got broken. Flip side was Fleet Leaf Rag. The funny thing, it was the same time I took up the steel guitar,and thought It was being player on a steel guitar :oops: Joe
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

After he sings,Still Can't Say Goodbye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEC6_eSE-bo
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

After he sings,Still Can't Say Goodbye
Best ever, Joe. :)
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I don't have a problem with different styles of country music. I think Conway Twitty and Ray Price are different styles, but to bring washed out 80's rock music into the picture is going too far, as I see it. When you let so much of something different into an established thing that it takes over and changes the identity, then that's too much.

If Colonel Sanders starts selling fish and fish becomes so much a part of the menu that chicken becomes a side item, then KFC has lost it's identity and what it stands for. By the way, the same company that owns KFC owns Pizza Hut, Long John Silvers, and Taco Bell. They have enough sense to not let them overlap to the point that they lose their identity.

I don't know why I'm even wasting my time saying this. These new artist with their production type shows are making a lot more money that the traditional country artist ever did. Can't blame them for that, but I don't see why they couldn't do it within the rock/pop realm and not steal the identity of country music in the process. :(

I've said it before, but my first time to play the Opry, we were standing on the side of the stage waiting to follow Jack Greene and Jack was singing "Statue Of A Fool". I'd heard it a hundred times, but there was a sprit like presence there that is unlike anything I've ever felt. It was such a real and sincere sound. I never get that feeling with any of the new acts. I wish some would come along that would do that for me, but I'm not holding my breath. :)
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Don't wanna be a smarta**,but I don't think Chet ever produced Ray Price. :eek: Ray was never on RCA & that's the only record co. Chet produced for. :mrgreen:
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

David Griffin wrote:Don't wanna be a smarta**,but I don't think Chet ever produced Ray Price. :eek: Ray was never on RCA & that's the only record co. Chet produced for. :mrgreen:
Don Law
Theresa Galbraith

Good one David!
Alot of artist today give me that warm and fuzzy feeling! :)
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

We watched a great documentary this weekend from Peter Bogdonovich about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers....perhaps one of the best insights into a bands musical career I have seen (go watch it....funny, touching, informative, highly entertaining)

Tom digs country music, and his quote of the film was

"Country music today is just mostly bad rock and roll with a fiddle"

So even those who don't play it, get it!

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Barry Blackwood

ray price ruined country music with his strings-heavy steel-less countrypolitan crap.

Would anyone agree that it was probably more Chet's fault than Ray's?
David, if this is the quote you're referring to, nowhere does it say Chet produced Ray Price. :eek:
b0b

Post by b0b »

Who was Ray Price's producer then? :? Looks like we have several suspects for an unsolved "Murder On Music Row". ;-)
-๐•“๐•†๐•“- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Is Country changing?
Image I really don't think so..
Barry Blackwood

Who was Ray Price's producer then?
As Alvin suggested, Don Law?
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Who was Ray Price's producer then?
As Alvin suggested, Don Law?
Don Law produced Ray Price from '52 till '73, including all the Columbia recordings. Law retired as the head of Columbia in '67, but still worked with Ray till the early '70s.
b0b

Post by b0b »

It's hard to change the label "Country" as there is a lot of financial momentum behind iit. I suggest instead that we re-label the more traditional form as "Country & Western". Imagine, if you will:

The Country & Western Hall of Fame

The 5th Annual Country & Western Awards

etc.

There's no point in complaining about things that we can't change, but there are still many people producing, recording and performing the more traditional styles of country music. Today's new "Country" isn't really the same as rock-a-billy or 80's rock - any true fan of those styles would surely object.

Let the pop music industry have the word "Country" since they want it so badly. Just let us differentiate the classic form that so many of us love. After all, there are a lot of "Rock & Roll" fans who don't like today's pop "Rock". Same thing.
-๐•“๐•†๐•“- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Randy Mason

Post by Randy Mason »

I love the Ray Price recordings with strings! I also love the things Chet produced. Beautiful to my ears anyway.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

I never get the point upon which these kinds of threads are predicated. I've been playing with traditional country bands for 38 years, I have a music collection consisting of most of the good country music ever recorded, I can listen to Ray Price, Faron Young et al. on the Internet whenever I want, and Jake Hooker and other good ol' Texas boys and girls are still recording shuffles and ballads with lots of steel guitar. The only time I ever hear any Top 40 "Country" is by accident, like in the dentist's office or at a mall, and if you're making money in this arena, good for you; I've done it myself a few times over the years, but it was just a job, and a rather boring one at that. What is the problem? The music is still here. What are you bitching about? :?
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

"Nowhere does it say Chet produced Ray Price" Dang,Barry:With all due respect,are we lawyers in court now? :D I think anyone would interpret the quote you're refering to as to be infering that.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

The ture high-light was Toby Keith walking back behind the stage after his performance with Kid Rock yelling at him.I'll see you later BIG DOG.Thanks God this wasn't the ACM Awards Show in a elevator.Murderer/Criminal/Brutal,Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. & Pigeons Band in flight. ;-)
Barry Blackwood

I think anyone would interpret the quote you're refering to as to be infering that.
Not necessarily, David. I just don't like to be misquoted. On another note, I like the hat you're wearing in your avatar. 8)
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Barry: I apologize for paraphrasing rather than quoting you directly. I can't seem to get the"copy & paste" function on this infernal machine to work! My 10 yr. old daughter is visiting friends this week so I don't have her here to show this ol'codger how to do it. :lol: And I have to admit I have long been an admirer of your ray emitting helment! :mrgreen:
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

b0b wrote:It's hard to change the label "Country" as there is a lot of financial momentum behind iit. I suggest instead that we re-label the more traditional form as "Country & Western". Imagine, if you will:

The Country & Western Hall of Fame

The 5th Annual Country & Western Awards

etc.
The Country & Eastern Hall of Fame

Way not, we are all one big country! Joe
Last edited by Joe Miraglia on 14 Jun 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

I can tell by the hat you're wearing, where your from. Look at Barry's avatar pic. He plays Out of This World Country Music :alien: . Joe
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Cal Sharp wrote:I never get the point upon which these kinds of threads are predicated. I've been playing with traditional country bands for 38 years, I have a music collection consisting of most of the good country music ever recorded, I can listen to Ray Price, Faron Young et al. on the Internet whenever I want, and Jake Hooker and other good ol' Texas boys and girls are still recording shuffles and ballads with lots of steel guitar. The only time I ever hear any Top 40 "Country" is by accident, like in the dentist's office or at a mall, and if you're making money in this arena, good for you; I've done it myself a few times over the years, but it was just a job, and a rather boring one at that. What is the problem? The music is still here. What are you bitching about? :?
Hey Cal,

I wouldn't go to a dentist office that plays top 40 country. I can take the drill, root canals, etc... but Novacane or Nitrous Oxide would not dull that pain enough for me. :lol:

:)
Theresa Galbraith

I've never been to a dentist or mall that plays country music.
Sounds like a good idea, though! :)
One place that plays country music is Logan's Road House. We're taking dad there for Father's Day! Good food and country music.......... :)