Pedal Row Starting Point?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Campbell

Pedal Row Starting Point?

Post by Tom Campbell »

Where do you start your pedal row on your pedal bar...begining with the A pedal. Do you start it with the first "slot/position" on the far left or do you start a couple slots to the right...with the A pedal centered between LKL, LKR levers?

I'm thinking of making a change to the A pedal centered between the left knee levers...appears it would lessen the awkward angle of the left foot.
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

The simple answer is "wherever it is most comfortable for YOU". I like an extra E9 pedal; I've used G# to G or the Franklin pedal to the left of the ABC pedals, so I generally put that one in the leftmost position. That's what works for me. Most guitars I've owned have tilt adjustments on the levers that don't require you to actually move the lever brackets. That's an important feature for any new guitar I have built or set up for me.

The closer to the leg / attachment point for the pedal bar, the more rigid and thus less cabinet drop when you press the A pedal. That may or may not be important on a guitar with significant drop. Many builders seem to start the A pedal in the second pedal slot and line the knee levers up to go with that configuration but that can all be adjusted pretty easily on most guitars.

You have to figure out what works for you. Factors such as long/short legs, the freedom with which your ankle turns, how your knee levers are configured, brand / design of guitar, etc. can make a big difference. I kept experimenting until I found what worked best for me.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
b0b

Post by b0b »

I always move the pedals inward for comfort. My guitars have 5 pedals. I like the 1st pedal to be in the place that is usually the 3rd pedal on a D-10. This also requires moving the knee lever mor towards the center.

It may seem strange to most people, but it's very comfortable for me. I've tried, but I've never been able to relax behind the standard 8-pedal D-10. My legs are spread too wide on the E9th, and too close together on the C6th.

This is why I play a Williams crossover as my double-neck guitar. It only has 5 pedals, and they're right where I like them.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

I have 5 pedals on my three guitars (Sierra Session 12's and a Sierra Crown 12) so I have some leeway for moving the pedals to the right. My legs are short and the current standard pedal placement is not comfortable at all...so I will bite-the-bullet and break-out the tools...fun :?
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Tom, That should be a relatively easy change to make on your Sessions... the Crown might be more of a job.
I like to set it up so my left foot can swing across all the pedals, while the left knee stays in place between LKL and LKR.
Pete B.
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

Everyone has to find their own comfortable spot. I had to move my LKL, and LKR, 2 inches to the left from the standard Sho-Bud positions. As I got older, my left ankle won't bend enough, with the Emmons set up, for my foot to clear the B pedal when I press the A pedal, and LKL at the same time. So I will agree with the rest of the players. Whatever suits your own taste, do it.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Ernie Pollock

Yes

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I have my A pedal in the 3rd position pedal slot, then the B pedal, I don't use the standard 'C' pedal & have that on a lever. It much more comfortable for me this way. Then the other 5 pedals for the B6th side of my Universal tuning. I really think this is up to each person to make themselves feel comfortable at the guitar. Mine happens to be an old 70's MSA Classic model. Other guitars I have owned, I did not have to move the 1st or A pedal in. seems like every mfg puts them where he thinks they'll be best placed for the majority of pickers.

Ernie Pollock :D
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

I use a "0" pedal, and it is in what is probably the 2nd "slot" from the left, so my "A" pedal is in the 3rd position. I am considering moving all pedals one more position to the right, sort of like b0b was talking about.

When I was playing my old s-10 Sho-Bud (3 & 4) I used my right foot on the "C" pedal quite a bit, and that would be easier if I moved all my pedals to the right a slot.
Chris Buchanan

Post by Chris Buchanan »

Tom, I was in the same boat as you. I just eyeballed it and moved everything over a little to the right. It made a world of difference. It's much better now.
GFI Ultra S-10, Nashville 112, stuff.
Bobby D. Jones

peddle row starting point

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

My steel is a MSA S10 bought used and set up. It is set up Day style with the C pedal is in the 3rd slot on the peddle bar from the left, my leg is straight up and down in the middle between the knee levers and is very comfortable to play. When I set down at someone else steel it feels strange. I was a police firearms instructor for 15 years. We are not poured in the same mold. I have had to deal with many differances in the human body to adapt people to guns. whatever works and comfortable. GO FOR IT.
Good Luck.