Do You Wonder Why Classic Country Died?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Leigh Howell

Post by Leigh Howell »

Yeah Joe, It was great in that respect. Another memory in my down thru the years log book!!!! No the Volcano is not affecting the atmosphere or anything like that, but it is affecting flight schedules etc. I live in Edinburgh, and it's the same story here. Flights canceled to certain places that are affected.
Leigh
Stan Knowles NC

Post by Stan Knowles NC »

THE TRUTH IS......THE NASTY RECORD COMPANIES

KILLED "CLASSIC COUNTRY MUSIC".......BUT....

IF THEY HADN'T.......OUTFITS LIKE "THIS" ON

YOU TUBE.....WOULD PROBLABLY DO IT IN FOR GOOD!
Emmons Legrand II D10 - Gretsch White Falcon stereo - Peavy NSVL. 1000 - Peavy Stereo Chorus 400
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Quite frankly ..

for new skin to grow, the old skin has to die and fall off , never to be seen again !

Over the past decade or two I have played with, visited, gone out to listen to, multiple so-called Country bands playing traditional music.

Much of of it was POOR at best and if this is the influence that is being portrayed as " Traditional Country Music" then god help us . There is no way possible a younger crowd would be attracted to marginal "at best" music. That's not a fault of a record company.

Out of tune singers, out of tune Instruments, Steel guitars off pitch, very limited musicianship etc...

So, what are we expecting ? Water into Wine ?
Last edited by Tony Prior on 1 Jun 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

The clip isn't a good roll model........ :(
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

First I think it's not good to not know the lyrics, and having to read them.
Second the players should have tuned their instruments and shouldn't have have used those barred chords.
I think the least one to blame for being out of tune is the steel player because he has had no reference points.
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

What were those guys thinking?!?!? Why didn't they just play Workin Man Blues. AGAIN.
So many things I could say (and yes, more for than against), but I won't. Ain't no money in it.
Have your fun, lol.

:\
Gary Harris

Fellow Musicians

Post by Gary Harris »

Several years ago a teacher in Arkansas was encouraged by his friends to go to Nashville and pitch his songs. His excuse for not going was that he did not have the money for motel etc. They told him he could make the drive and return the same day. His wife was full blooded Indian. They set out early and when he got to Nashville he began to pitch his songs. Late in the afternoon he returned to his car where his wife was waiting. She asked two questions, did he have any luck and his reply was, "no" and did he visit all the places, again the replly was, "no one likes my songs." She suggested that they go to the store and buy some crackers and cheese for supper, sleep in the car and he could go visit the remaing places he failed to visit. Jimmy Driftwood was recorded by one of the studios, "The Battle of New Orleans." Johnny Horton heard the song and covered it. Jimmy played and sang at a George Peabody College breakfast that I attended. Do we dare make fun of fellow musicians? One good break could be a turning point in their lives.
Bob Grado

Post by Bob Grado »

Wow.. Tough Crowd.

I personally thought they had a nice little groove going there on "Dim Light".

But then again... what do I know..
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I have found this version of White Line Fever on U- Tube. the band's name is the Stoney Slew Band and I like this just fine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HTEiZs7 ... re=related

BTW this is me on steel and I can't say I'm proud of this, but this is the way life sometimes goes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDgNkuBpMXk
Tony Prior

Re: Fellow Musicians

Post by Tony Prior »

Gary Harris wrote:Do we dare make fun of fellow musicians? One good break could be a turning point in their lives.

I don't think that's what is being referred to. There are plenty of great song writers who are not good singers. Writing and performing are not the same thing. Before anyone can judge a song , they have to listen to it...that's why cities such as Nville have "demo" singers...
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Joachim Kettner wrote:I have found this version of White Line Fever on U- Tube. the band's name is the Stoney Slew Band and I like this just fine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HTEiZs7 ... re=related
Can you believe the edit of the video??? As the steeler begins his solo, it doesn't cut to an irrelevant closeup of the singer's face or a guitar player's hands, like they usually do, it cuts to a full-stage shot, but from an angle where the steel CAN'T BE SEEN AT ALL!!! FOR THE ENTIRE SOLO! :x
Scott Shipley

Re: Fellow Musicians

Post by Scott Shipley »

Tony Prior wrote:
Gary Harris wrote:Do we dare make fun of fellow musicians? One good break could be a turning point in their lives.

I don't think that's what is being referred to. There are plenty of great song writers who are not good singers. Writing and performing are not the same thing. Before anyone can judge a song , they have to listen to it...that's why cities such as Nville have "demo" singers...
I have to agree with Gary, it didn't seem like there was any distinction being made between singers and songwriters, just flat out making fun of these guys.
:\
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Kevin Hatton wrote:John Floyd you are right on. Those kind of players do more damage to a music genre than anything else. They have no business taking that outside of a mental institution. We've got these here in western N.Y. also. Somebody shoot me.
Keven-- We do? :)
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I think that's supposed to be "White Line Fever"? the Haggard song?

wrong chords
wrong beat
wrong melody
playing out of tune

other than that it's fine! :eek:
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Joe, yes we do. We had one VFW hall that got so many complaints about the calibur of the "country bands" that they literally shut the venue down for country and went to rock and blues. When I walked in one night the whole band was singing out of a Fender Deluxe Reverb! It sounded like a distorted Kmart shopping announcement. These bands will typically play for next to nothing just so they have some place to make their noise. These bands do alot of damage to country music.
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Kevin Hatton wrote:Joe, yes we do. We had one VFW hall that got so many complaints about the calibur of the "country bands" that they literally shut the venue down for country and went to rock and blues. When I walked in one night the whole band was singing out of a Fender Deluxe Reverb! It sounded like a distorted Kmart shopping announcement. These bands will typically play for next to nothing just so they have some place to make their noise. These bands do alot of damage to country music.
Kevin, You got that right,I agree there are some noise makers out there. all you can do is keep going and trying. But at my age sometimes I wounder.

Been with the same band for 9 years there ok, I try to keep then honest :) Joe
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

When I walked in one night the whole band was singing out of a Fender Deluxe Reverb! It sounded like a distorted Kmart shopping announcement.
Back in the 50's, my Dad's band sang through a crystal mic, plugged into a home-made tube amp as a P.A. system. Seemed to get the job done, as they were asked to appear on Red Foley's Ozark Jubilee a few times. I still have that amp.
Necessity's a mother. Or something like that.
;-)
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Fair is fair--the "blame" for that arrangement of White Line Fever belongs, not to The Stoney Slue Band, but to these guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiY3kCSh ... re=related

I think their steel player is more out of tune than the SS Band's steeler. And, while SSB omitted a verse, they also used one less "wrong" chord in the chorus than these other guys.
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

Are we sure this is not a sham ala "Road Hog and the Cadillac Cowboys"?? Alas , I HAVE heard some this bad tho'....