Republic Tricone Square Necked Resos.

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ray Shakeshaft

Republic Tricone Square Necked Resos.

Post by Ray Shakeshaft »

Does anyone have any experience of the Republic Tricone square necks?. There are two; a bell brass and a steel bodied model and what I am particularly interested in is the sound difference between the two materials. None of the listed UK stockist have either one so I have no opportunity to try them out myself.

Any comments or help would be appreciated.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I don't have any first hand experience, but they are talked about quite a bit on slide sites like Big Road Blues. The reviews I've read have been positive. Chinese manufactured parts, but I believe they are constructed, or at least set up and gone over, by a guy in Texas (hence the name). The guy (don't know his name) has a good reputation, at least from what I've read.
Ray Shakeshaft

Post by Ray Shakeshaft »

Many thanks Bill. I can find claims (and video clips) for Republic Tricones from blues players playing round necks but I do not seem to hear much about the square necks.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have a Republic Tricone and it is an excellent instrument.
Jim Sallis

Post by Jim Sallis »

I've played a number of Republics. Frank is a good guy to deal with, and the instruments (manufactured in China, imported and set up in Texas, yes) have very good street cred. To my ear, the brass tricone is a "heavier" sound, more reserved, more complex; steel is more the fundamental, pushes the sound more (a bit closer to single-cone instruments).
Ray Shakeshaft

Post by Ray Shakeshaft »

I have a Republic Tricone and it is an excellent instrument.
Which metal do you have Erv? What kind of music are you using it for?

Thanks Jim. That is the kind of information I am looking for. I am presuming (I could be wrong - probably am) that the steel bodies are closer to that old Hawaiian sound. Any comment?

Thanks to all posters.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Ray,
As far as I know it's brass.
I use it for Hawaiian and gospel music.
I installed a Highlander pickup on it also.
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Erv and Jim,
Did you keep the Continental cones or "hot-rod" it with new cones as others have done?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I kept the original cones. They sound good and plenty loud to me!
Jim Sallis

Post by Jim Sallis »

The Republic tricones that I played belonged to friends and fellow players. (I myself play a hot-rodded old Johnson. My bandmate plays, among others, a Republic reso mandolin.) Some internal fidgeting had gone on with these (relocating a mushroom or two, reseating a cone, tweaking the bridge, etc.), but I'd have seen absolutely no reason to replace the cones or hot rod any further. Good sound, plenty loud.
Hugh Crumley

Republic Tricone

Post by Hugh Crumley »

Hi Ray,

I currently have both a brass Republic squareneck tricone and a 1930 National (German silver, squareneck, hot rod cones.) I love to play very old school Hawaiian, and in a few previous posts, I think you'll see discussion of exactly what you are asking about:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=165957
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=139793

By the way, I think that if you want to play Hawaiian, you might prefer the brass tricone. I'd be happy to talk more about my (very positive) experiences with Republic.

Cheers,
Hugh
Meryle Swartz

Post by Meryle Swartz »

I haven't had one of the tricones but i've bought two instruments directly from Republic (one a metal body "duolian" and the other a wood single-cone squareneck) and they are just so sweet. I'd strongly encourage you to contact the owner, Frank, at the contact info posted on republicguitars.com either via email or phone. He is one of the nicest, most helpful people i've ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and i'm certain he'll give you his honest opinion.
Ray Shakeshaft

Post by Ray Shakeshaft »

Many thanks to Hugh and others. I think that you have answered my question re: brass vs steel.

The reason I was so interested is that friends of mine have not been particularly impressed with their bell brass ukes which they found lacking attack and they much prefer their steel ones but obviously the different size and characteristics of the tricone guitar overcomes that problem.
Joe Burke

New Republic! Need strings.

Post by Joe Burke »

I just got a new Republic tricone. Love it!

I need to put new strings on it: any suggestions?

Lately I've been using phosphor bronze on my resonator, and they seem ok. And I noticed there is a National brand of strings.

Anyone have a recommendation?
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

FWIW, I like the John Pearse 3100 strings on my square-neck Republic Tricone. This is, coincidentally, the set recommended by National for their square-necks. D'Addario EJ42s are OK, too. The one time that I tried nickel strings on that guitar I didn't care for them, but I have a magnetic pickup on it and will probably need them if I decide to amplify it at some point.

HTH. Enjoy your new guitar! 8)
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Adam Tracksler

Post by Adam Tracksler »

I have a steel one tuned to C6 and it sounds great.
Ian McWee

Post by Ian McWee »

Give Robin at Busker Guitars in Tywyn, Wales a call Ray ~ i'm pretty certain Busker reso's are made in the same factory as Republic :wink:

www.buskerguitars.co.uk

Ian.