Brooks & Dunn Last Rodeo

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Harry Dove

Brooks & Dunn Last Rodeo

Post by Harry Dove »

If anybody is watching the Brooks & Dunn tribute on CBS, can you tell what kind of steel that is and who is playing. They haven't shown enough of the steel to see the brand but I like the tone. Some good playing too.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Yeah Harry. I been watching it. Appears the band did their homework or maybe it was B & D's band. The steel is a lacquer fin great lookin' axe. I think maybe it's a Desert Rose from what I could see, but I may be all wet.

I think I remember hearing that Gary Morse was playing with them so perhaps is was him???
Randall Palmore

Post by Randall Palmore »

I think it was a Jackson
Al Miller

steel

Post by Al Miller »

Im not sure of the brand of steel but if i had to guess who the picker was i would say Gary Morse . who ever it was did there homework and cop'd a whole lotta signature stuff . very respectful of the music i think.
Boo Miller
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Yes, good playing and steel up in the mix. In fact the audio was quite good, sounded like a country music friendly sound engineer. One of the better network shows lately. They didn't trot out a bunch of rock and hip hop stars.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Thats Gary playing his Desert Rose. For once they had the steel way up in the mix and you could hear Gary through the whole show. Sounded great.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Great tunes,great performing,great band,great steel-friendly mix.An all-round pleasure.Except for the reason the show was made in the first place.I get it about doing live shows being secondary to the song creation process for people as successful as B&D and maybe it's time for each of them to create on his own....
But DANG!! those are some good,good tunes.I bet a B&D show was the hottest ticket around and I'm sorry I never got to see them live.
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

Anybody know what the steel player was using on the Faith Hill song? Sounded almost like a cross between a sitar bar & a Matchbro bar. Whatever it was it was a cool sound.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

Finally, a Country Music Network televison show playing "Country Music" ! The Steel playing was just great with a great tone and execution.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Kevin Hatton wrote:Thats Gary playing his Desert Rose. For once they had the steel way up in the mix and you could hear Gary through the whole show. Sounded great.
They even had a good shot of Gary readin' charts on the song Reba sang, and he sounded great.
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Didnt I hear B&D were calling it quit's? Or was that a dream?
BMI S-10,3+4,Peavey Vegas 400,15"BW equipped,Goodrich 120,Zoom Studio rack mount-FX,Liberty Resonator,Fender Telecaster,JT-148 Jazz Box,Blueridge BR-180
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

Dale - You heard right - That was the reason for the show

I thought it was a great show and everbody sounded good doing their material!!
Ron Petersen
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

That was a cool sofa they were sitting on. It looked like a huge road-case that opens out into a sofa.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

It was nice to hear the steel in the mix...He played GREAT and the steel sounded like...uhhhh...a "Desert Rose" should...AWESOME! :whoa:

Funny...they would focus on ANYBODY but the steel player during his leads! :\
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

The show wasn't about the steel player. I saw and heard Gary, alot! Bravo to CBS and all the musicians and artist. It's abit sad them splitting. :(
The first thing I'd love to see is Ronny getting a new "do"! We'll still be hearing them both on the radio, regardless!
Mickey Adams

Bd

Post by Mickey Adams »

Oh, they'll be back...The Eagles are on thier 10th farewell tour aren't they?>. :lol: :lol:
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Theresa Galbraith wrote:The show wasn't about the steel player.
Excuse me! All of life is "About" the steel...at least here it is. :\
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
J R Rose

Brooks & Dunn Last Rodeo

Post by J R Rose »

Yep, it was the best Network Country Show to come along in a long time. All of the pickers were great and they did have a good sound man. Yes, why is it they aways show a shot of anything but the steel man on his break?, but they did not show the fiddle either. I do not know Gary Morse or anything about him but going to find out and yes he had done his home work, SUPER JOB with great sound. J.R.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

JR....My point exactly!! 8)
TELES & STRATS...
Alvin Blaine

Re: Brooks & Dunn Last Rodeo

Post by Alvin Blaine »

J R Rose wrote:Yep, it was the best Network Country Show to come along in a long time. All of the pickers were great and they did have a good sound man. Yes, why is it they aways show a shot of anything but the steel man on his break?, but they did not show the fiddle either. I do not know Gary Morse or anything about him but going to find out and yes he had done his home work, SUPER JOB with great sound. J.R.
Before the Brooks & Dunn gig, Gary was with Dierks Bentley and did a couple of albums with him, and was with Dwight before that, and Suzy Bogguss, and in the mid '90s he was in McBride and The Ride(also Terry McBride is the bass player and one of the backup singers in Brooks & Dunn). He used to play some nice old Sho-Buds and still pulls one out every now and then.
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

I was watching off and on, and I agree, steel was heard standing out in the mix. Very well executed playing. There were a few fleeting shots of the steel, generally from behind, a brief frontal shot lasting a second here and there, etc.

Nice.
Dennis Manuel

Post by Dennis Manuel »

Gary Morse's steel playing and tone are superb. Not sure how current the info is, however according to the Fender website Gary uses a Fender Steel King.

I wonder if Gary went direct to the board or did the sound engineer mike the amp? Does anyone know or possibly Gary could respond.
Harry Dove

Post by Harry Dove »

I've met Gary a few times and had the chance to see and hear him up close at a local steel show. In my opinion Gary has not received the recognition he is due. Gary is a great player and has always had fantastic tone.

It's been a few years since I have seen him, and obviously he is using different gear now than he was then, but as I recall he was using a Line 6 processor back then. That could account for the sound effects on the show. I played with a Line 6 Pod Pro for awhile. You can get about any sound you can imagine from that.

At any rate I wish Gary would put out some recorded stuff. I'm sure it would be top notch.
Dave Biller

Post by Dave Biller »

Theresa Galbraith wrote:The first thing I'd love to see is Ronny getting a new "do"!

YES!haha!! who decided he should have the same hair style as Jennifer Aniston? :lol:
Brett Day

Re: Brooks & Dunn Last Rodeo

Post by Brett Day »

Alvin Blaine wrote:
J R Rose wrote:Yep, it was the best Network Country Show to come along in a long time. All of the pickers were great and they did have a good sound man. Yes, why is it they aways show a shot of anything but the steel man on his break?, but they did not show the fiddle either. I do not know Gary Morse or anything about him but going to find out and yes he had done his home work, SUPER JOB with great sound. J.R.
Before the Brooks & Dunn gig, Gary was with Dierks Bentley and did a couple of albums with him, and was with Dwight before that, and Suzy Bogguss, and in the mid '90s he was in McBride and The Ride(also Terry McBride is the bass player and one of the backup singers in Brooks & Dunn). He used to play some nice old Sho-Buds and still pulls one out every now and then.
In addition to touring with Brooks & Dunn, Gary still plays steel in the studio with Dierks. The last video Gary was in with Dierks was the "Come A Little Closer" video. In late 2005, Gary left Dierks Bentley's band to tour with Brooks & Dunn, and before Gary joined Brooks & Dunn, they had a steel player named Troy Klontz, who played a Derby Steel. Gary plays a Desert Rose steel with Brooks & Dunn.

Brett