Space problem on the stage? Use the guitar case as a seat !

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniele Gilioli

Space problem on the stage? Use the guitar case as a seat !

Post by Daniele Gilioli »

It's a fact, the stage space is all the time smaller! Yes, the Pub's owners prefear to dedicate more space for customers than for musicians. I'm playing in a bluegrass band, we are 5 and many times the stage surface is less than 10 square meters. This is a big problem. We have in avg 10 instrument cases. Sometimes we put them back in the cars before the show sometimes we leave them in a pub's corner out of our look (I don't like this solution, I'm gelous of my things) :roll: . Coming back to the topic, I'm thinking to add my PSG on the stage...and I see some more problems adding PSG + PSGcase + Seat. In order to optimize the space I though: If I could use the PSG case as seat I'll save space ! In the attached draft (sorry for quality of my hand design, I prefear PC) :oops: I'm thinking to buy a cheap and light case for Volume pedal and accessories, and trasform my PSG case into a seat. :whoa: I'll use a comortable pillow as a seat. This is my basic idea. What do you think about this? Did someone in the past look at this possibility ? I see that there is no backrest in this version, however it saves space, it costs few euros and it is comfortable for my "body". :)

Any BIG pros & cons ? for sure yes...but please keep in mind the main target: to have in the end more free space on the stage, to play better.
Sometime a compromise must be taken seeing the things from a new perspective. ;-) :D :D
My best
Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it
Bluegrass and country music band
RED Williams PSG, Hilton PV, StroboFlip tuner, Bluegrass Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, Dobro.
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Olli Haavisto
Finland
Daniele Gilioli

Ciao Olli.Thanks for yr suggestion, However the PSG case still needs space on the stage. I'm trying to reduce space using the PGS case as a seat if possible. Maybe I can ask to the suggested supplier to make a new case for my Willy to use also as a seat? Maybe it will cost a lot. I'll investigate also in that way.
Thanks
My best
Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it
RED Williams PSG, Hilton PV, StroboFlip tuner, Bluegrass Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, Dobro.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Sneaky Pete sat on his case, no pad. (tried to find a picture and could not) Ive seen Dan Tyack do the same. I have a split case so its too low for me or else I'd do the same.

These guys didnt modify their cases. They just put em on their side and sat on em, no pad, no legs, no nothing. Saves money and space and set up time...i think its a great idea. If you needed a pad or a backrest or your name embroidered on it tho, youd be out of luck. Sneaky had an anvil style case. Dans appeared to be a Hatton or Justice case.
Daniele Gilioli

I have a split case so its too low for me or else I'd do the

Hi Ben . thanks to share with me such a great idea.
Unfortunately my guitar case is including legs, but is for my S10 guitar. In the end it is also too low as yours....but I'm thinking to fill the gap with some pad ;-) , mmmhhhh maybe it will works. My Best
Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

I have had some inquiries into several different options as I know other seat manufacturers have also.

I have just recently had 2 or 3 at least buy one of my Lite model seats to conserve space on the stage. This does not solve the problem with the steel guitar case but it helps with the stage problem.

I have had some ask for something similar to what you show - basically adapting a case into a seat - I have not attempted to do that YET - but I am always looking for a challange.

To this point when people ask me for a case I refer them to someone that builds cases. Weight is one factor. Rollers would be standard BUT some place along the line you are going to have to lift it - maybe to or more handles on it so you can ask for help. Dare I say coffin style handles.

New things at steelseat come from discussions - even new models and enhancements.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Daniele Gilioli

Thank you Joe for yr comment.
I'm visiting yr web on regular base to see some fantastic products. So I'm sure when and if I'll decide to buy my first seat you will be included in my potential supplier list. :D
However at the moment my problem is save space on stage as much as possible so I'm trying to use guitar case as a seat. Also I'm spending a lot of money in these 2 months buying new PSG plus accessories, instructional material and so on...and seat was not included in my budget.

I've ordered together my s10 Williams also handle and rollers to install as in the picture to my guitar case. Please note that wheight is not to much, because I have S10 gearless guitar, no pad compact guitars.
Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

What town are you in in Italy. At one time I worked for a company in Padova. My retune was to fly to Venus Sunday night and drive to Padova Monday AM (I loved Northern Italy)

Anyway I have looked at a couple options using a case for a seat and just have not hit in the right combination yet. I also have a guy that wanted to set on his amp but that would cause lots and lots of jokes about where the music was coming from (have to have a little humor)

I will look at the seat / case idea more soon.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Daniele Gilioli

Hi Joe.
I'm Leaving in Milano area.

Waiting for yr idea to modify case to use as a seat.
Take yr time, it is not really urgent.
Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it
Bob Moore

case as a seat

Post by Bob Moore »

You could make a seat that fits over your case that was light and portable. Just a thought. Bob
Dave Magram

Post by Dave Magram »

What about fitting a "stadium seat" on top of your case?

or a "stadium chair": Image

- Dave
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Daniel, if the space is limited and theres no place to put the cases I usually put my amp and dobro stand on the steel case.
BTW I don`t think you will be able to use a s10 case for a good, solid seat. Just put stuff that would otherwise be on the floor on the steel case and you`ll waste no space.
And get a dedicated seat and save yourself from the unwanted slapstick a makeshift contraption will inevitably produce.... JMO... :)
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Russ Tkac

Case seat.

Post by Russ Tkac »

George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

Daniele, is your "Red" Williams S10 a 400 keyless? Just curious. When I bought my "Black" 400 S10 keyless from Bill he had two of them in stock. One black and one red. It was a tough decision between the two.

Like Olli suggested, I also either set my amp on top of my case or stand the case on end on my right side and use it for putting my tuner etc on it.
Regards,
Geo
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

In my opinion, a dedicated seat makes more sense than using your case because you have to pack accessories anyway. A steel player typically carries a good bit of stuff. Why not pack it in a case that's also a seat? Hence the birth of the pac-seat for steel players. Everything is organized in one place, with a few separate compartments and such. To me it beats a gym bag full of cables and string packs.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

I agree with Chris - he is an example --- I have just had several customers that go to my Lite model seat with or without a back rest to conserve space. I am taking an internet break from the shop but am working on one right now for a guy that is playing a long running show on a small stage and wants to save space.

I am hearing carry your amp and steel in ---- set them up ---- stand your steel case in a corner or take it back to the car ----- get the small seat and problem is solved.

Smaller foot print on the stage is a standard size seat plus the comfort.

I know some cases currently have thiner tops and bottoms than the sides so adapting a case is usually difficult.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Daniele Gilioli

Dave I found problem to find stadium chair with colors of my favourite team !! :D
Bob this is my actual idea I'm working with ... 8)
Russ This is exaclty what I mean ! :eek:
Geo, Yes My PSG is RED Gearless 400 series. received from Bill (great person and pro maker) Beg of March 2010. Great guitar. Isn't it?
Olli, Chris, Joe . I'm also considering yr suggestion even if it is more expensive (as far as I know almot 15% of my Williams Pedal stell value) but as you can see from the attached, we really play a lot of insruments, that means we have a lot of empty cases on the stage, so that any save in space is very helfull. Anyway I'm not in hurry so that I'll take time to choose. Thanks to all.

Daniele

www.hatsandspurs.it