ZB Forum Donation - Under the Red Paint

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hamilton

ZB Forum Donation - Under the Red Paint

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hi folks, I finally got the donation ZB finished up. This is the guitar donated to the Forum last fall by Curt Jarvis. It was painted red, and there was much speculation at the time about what was underneath the paint. As you can see from the photos, It came out pretty nice. I don't currently have a correct CZB decal, but I'll get one on the guitar later, with my next order. It appears that the guitar was belt sanded at one time, and the mahogany zig-zag inlay was partially sanded through on the front apron, so the guitar was just painted red. The damaged inlay was about two inched long, so I was able to remove enough of the old inlay from underneath the endplates to repair the damage. Also, there were many changer parts that needed to be replaced, and I wound up fabricating the lower return levers in the changer, and added new return springs. The guitar plays great, has a very woody sound, and stays in tune very well. I only have three knees on it now, but I'll be adding some more in the near future. It was a great project. Thanks to Curt Jarvis for the donation and b0b for having such a great Forum. Bob

Here are a few before pictures;

Last edited by Bob Hamilton on 27 Apr 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Great job Bob!

Russ
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Very nice Curt and Bob. Makes you want to strip some paint
see what lies hidden underneath.
Bob Hamilton

ZB rehab

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Thanks Russ and Chuck, I was a happy camper the first time I was able to take this guitar on stage. It has that Scranton sound in spades, and it sure was in need of attention, so it's a good feeling to bring it back. The body was shortened a couple of inches, but the pedal bar wasn't, so I refit the endplates and cut down the pedal bar to put things back in alignment. The E9 changer was pretty messed up, and I made a few cross rods and changer finger lowers, etc. to get it right. I had a few extra parts laying around and that helped out a lot. Hey Chuck, next post I'm going to put up photos of your old ZB 12 string Universal (1060), I finally got it all balanced out, and I can see now why folks say there's no such thing as a ZB uni...
Alan Harrison

ZB Knee Lever

Post by Alan Harrison »

Hi Bob, I have a knee lever like the one shown on you beautifully restored ZB. Nothing but the lever. It came off of a "69" D-10 I bought from Larry Petree in Bakersfield. I removed it because it was not connected to anything, it just hung there. If your interested in it send me an email thru the Forum.
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

I would love to see it Bob. The most beautiful wood is in
that axe.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Hey Russ. Do you mind if I leave your guitar on my avatar
at least for a little while?
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

That's fine Chuck. It was your steel when that picture was taken. :)
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

what was the 'donation' deal with this steel?
who got the money from it and who owns it now?
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Bob gave the donation to the SGF and received the steel in red and with a little magic, time and talent turned it into the nice steel you see.
Bob Hamilton

ZBs

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hey Chuck, The ZB here in the photos #1062 is only two numbers away from your 12 string #1060. Chances are they were on the work bench in Zane's shop at the same time. Nice wood in those days. I'll get pix ot the two of them side by side. BH
Bob Hamilton

Close serial numbers

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Here you go Chuck, your 12 string ZB and a younger brother. The red one is #1060 and the natural one is #1062. Apparently the 12 string was built for a ZB employee when he worked in Scranton with Zane. I have his name around here somewhere.
Image It's now a 6 pedal 3 knee uni (pedals a,b,c,5,6, and 7).

Al Risbeck

outstanding

Post by Al Risbeck »

Bob it looks like new in the pics. Great Job.

Al
Bob Hamilton

Project

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Thanks Al, I have had a few ZBs, and have been refurbishing ZB guitars for quite a while. This one really has the tone and sustain ZBs are known for in spades.
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

What a fantastic job!!!
You turned it into the best looking ZB i've ever seen! :whoa:
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Will Hesch

Post by Will Hesch »

Bob, nice guitar, great job of refurbishing it! It was treat to meet you the other evening at the Pour House. I look forward to hearing more of your playing here on the Central Coast. Will
Bob Hamilton

Zb

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Thanks Ulf and Will, it was a fun project. Will, I got your phone message, and I'll be in touch soon. What did you think of the tone of this ZB at the Pour House Opry? I was playing thru a Nashville 400.
Will Hesch

Post by Will Hesch »

Bob, it sounded great...what I could hear of it. It was pretty much a country orchestra last Thursday, lots of strings and lots of amps. I think you should "toe down" that volume pedal more!
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

WOW ! Those legs are by far the highest over normal height I have ever seen ?
Bob Hamilton

Zb

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Yes Will, there was basically two of every instrument that night, so I was kicking back a little. 29" from the floor to the E9 strings Willis, is that over normal height wise?
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

The old 12 string looks great. thanks for the pics. You've done a bang up job on both steels.