Chris Scruggs interview

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Rob Haines

Chris Scruggs interview

Post by Rob Haines »

Check out this new Chris Scruggs interview for Mel Bay Publications. There's some great picking on there as well. What a talent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuAchSYA6Xo
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Thanks for posting this Rob, and thanks for your fine work in putting it together. I feel lucky that Chris shares his talent and ideas here on the Forum.

Thanks again.
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Thanks for posting this Rob, and thanks for your fine work in putting it together. I feel lucky that Chris shares his talent and ideas here on the Forum.

Thanks again.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Some really cool playing in that interview!
Tom Cooper

Chris Scruggs

Post by Tom Cooper »

Wow! Really cool. I am a big Chris Scruggs fan. He helped me a lot on the forum with tuning issues I had. Great ambassador for the steel guitar and a great person to boot. Here's to Chris Scruggs!!!
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Great stuff. What an excellent musician.
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

I can relate.
Johnny Sibert was also my greatest influence on my steel guitar adventure.
I own and play a steel guitar that is the very image of Chris'es (but restored).
This is a great steel guitar on which to develop one's own style also.

Most of the Carl Smith songs I now play on a triple 26" scale Fender Stringmaster, (blonde) but otherwise like Johnny Sibert's.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

At 14, I was enthralled by Johnny Siebert. Carl came near my home town the next year and I got to see them live. I had to have a Fender like his and at 15, my dream came true. I learned all his licks and hooked up with Thomas Hardy, who did all the Carl stuff. Years later I got to meet Johnny and it is always gratifying when your heroes turn out to be friendly and sharing of their time. I have one of those Deluxe dual 8's and it is one of the most fun instruments to play. Thanks to Chris Scruggs for keeping these great styles going!
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

The shots in the video at the Station Inn were filmed last Wednesday, the show I posted about. Off the camera view to the right is Billy Robinson playing his custom Derby 10 string which sounded so good. Billy Robinson of course famous for Carl Smith, George Morgan, Red Foley, Web Pierce.... on and on.

Billy told me that he plays his C6 with the high G as his 2nd string and a D as his 1st string. Very interesting. His tuning High to Low: D G E C A G E C A F (from Andy Volk's book.)