Volume Pedals

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Paul Bostic

Volume Pedals

Post by Paul Bostic »

As a beginning lap steel player, I have been studying Rob Haines instructional DVD. He suggests that a volume pedal is required, which seems to make sense. He uses and recommends a Goodrich L10K which retail for $204.00. Is there a good quality pedal out there that will do the job and not bust my piggy-bank? In his video he also states that the secret to good sound from your lap steel are the cables. He uses George L, (the steel players secret). Any thoughts on that?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

There have been many different discussions of volume pedals on the Electronics section of this forum. (That's where I usually move the ones that start up here.)

I used an Ernie Ball volume pedal (like this one for sale on the forum) for about 20 years and was very happy with it. Now I use a Goodrich L10K pedal and it's very good, although it requires a 9 volt battery.

I also use and recommend George L's cables. They have worked well for me for at least ten years.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Sasha Kostadinov

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Post by Sasha Kostadinov »

I'm a beginner too and I'm using an Ernie Ball pedal. So far, I've got no complaints with it. The pedal moves smoothly and has just the right amount of tension in my opinion. The tension could change over time with use, however, requiring adjustment. I think I bought mine new for under $100.
Paul Bostic

Ernie Ball Pedal

Post by Paul Bostic »

Thanks Sasha,
I was looking at the Ernie Ball pedal yesterday, seems to be built well. After your comments and Brads I am going to give one a try.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

I have used an Ernie Ball volume pedal for years. my feelings echos Sasha's. this has been a very reliable pedal. it has taken a bit of abuse from beer stage spills (not mine) and still works.
a good pedal for the price.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I'm currently running everything through a Podx3 Live which has an expression pedal that can be programed as either a volume pedal, wah pedal or both. I like having everything in one unit.

I'll be putting some pedals up for sale soon, so check the for sale section.
Tom OHara

Volume pedals

Post by Tom OHara »

I am also a beginner, who plays guitar sporadically and has been playing keyboards (synths) for the past 20~30 years. With my background and the volume pedals associated with keyboards, and considering the original Wah Wah pedal sold for around $60~$80, I was also surprised by the price of PSG pedals. As was pointed out to me though, the volume pedal is an integral part of playing steel guitar, so I can see how you would want the best quality you can afford. I recently purchased a used L10K and bracket for $165. It must have gotten bounced around during shipping and when I unpacked it found the potentiometer (pot) had come out of its support. It wasn't difficult to repair, but when you look at how it works, it just doesn't seem like $200 technology; however, this model does incorporate some electronics that buffer the signal and maintains the frequency response throughout the volume range. Mechanically, it uses a string anchored to the base, wrapped around the shaft of the pot and connected to the movable pedal. I remember using this technology to steer a soap box cart when I was 8. The original Dunlop Wah Wah had a nylon rack that rode on a pinion gear attached to the pot shaft. That arrangement seems like it would be more reliable. For whatever reason, the Goodrich pedal seems to work fine and many players swear by it. There is a newer pedal (Telonics) that apparently lists for around $400. I think it doubles and an inter-planetary space communicator!
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

Here's a link to a Fender volume/Tone pedal - volume heel to toe, tone side to side. Looks to be perfect for steel...
John Burton

Re: Volume Pedals

Post by John Burton »

Paul Bostic wrote:...In his video he also states that the secret to good sound from your lap steel are the cables. He uses George L, (the steel players secret). Any thoughts on that?
Well, I've played around with a few cables, and I have to say for my Pedal Steel, the George L's DO sound better. I was skeptical about this to. But, I guess when playing clean, especially, there is a really wide range of frequency with steel guitars, so maybe cable choice comes into play. At any rate, the George L cables are well made quality cables, so might as well..

I too use an Ernie Ball, but I'm going to upgrade. I think I can get better tone out of a more pedal steel specific pedal. For most lap steel stuff, I don't even use a volume pedal, but for pedal steel it's needed.

I do use a Digitech RP250 for headphone practice and it's built in volume pedal is really better then the Ernie Ball. Lower profile, and sounds better then the Ernie Ball into the Digitech.

Just my 2 pennies.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

The most dependable pedal[just my opinion] I've owned is an old Dunlop Hi=gain.Been playing steel around 25 years,before that thru the 60's,70's and 80's always used a pedal while playing sixstring. Have used Sho-bud,fenders,Good rich,Earnie Ball's,and some I can't remember. The Dunlop has NEVER given me a problem. NO strings to break,still has the original pot[no noise].Can buy a new one for about 80 bucks.Maybe some think if you don't pay 3 0r 4 hundred bucks for a pedal it's junk :eek: YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Paul Bostic

Post by Paul Bostic »

Thanks John, I think I have been convinced on the George L cables. I have been using Monster gold for my 6 strings with good results, however I need to buy a 4' - 6' to go from the guitar to the pedal and I won't want to use a different brand from the pedal to the amp. The kits that I see come with plenty of plugs but not enough wire to distance yourself from the amp. and I don't see where you can just buy lengths of wire. Oh Well!
Thanks Charles, I hadn't heard about the Dunlop Hi, I will check it out.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Paul,Most music stores I have been in around here have the George L cable on large spools,you can buy ANY lenght you want .along with the ends. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

You can buy bulk cable online HERE, as well as the George L web store.
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

I made my volume pedal out of an old sewing machine pedal. Just changed the pot and added jacks. Total cost = less than $10!
Paul Bostic

Post by Paul Bostic »

Thanks Lynn, I shopped around quite a bit and just ordered my George L's from PedalGear, they had the best deal by far.
Paul
Rick Winfield

Goodrich

Post by Rick Winfield »

I've been playing "Steel", for about 4 years. In the beginning, I purchased a "used" Goodrich 120, volume pedal, (on the forum) for about $100. I usually play 3 or so hours a day, and finally, I needed to replace the "pot". I think it was a good investment, and would recommend it to all.
Rick
Paul Bostic

Post by Paul Bostic »

It's seems that the consensus is the Goodrich pedals are the best. The problem seems to be finding a good used one at an affordable price. I think most guys just keep theirs because there is no reason to sell them. Thanks for the vote of confidence Rick!
b0b

Post by b0b »

The Goodrich 120 is about $40 cheaper than the L10K because it has no active electronics. Like many people, I actually prefer it. Watch the Forum's Classified Ads for a while - they crop up in the $100-$130 price range fairly often.

The L120 is the low profile version of the 120, BTW.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video