Jimmy Day in Ray Price ERA circa 1960

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Donna Sherrard Williams

Jimmy Day in Ray Price ERA circa 1960

Post by Donna Sherrard Williams »

I know 1960 was 50 years ago, but my dad, Boogie, joined the Cherokee Cowboys and Ray Price in that time; he only played lead guitar with them around 3 months.. the road life was just not for him... I do know that Jimmy Day was the steelman at the time and Donnie (Paycheck) was in the band at the time... if ANYONE has or knows someone with any photos from that era, it would be absolutely fabulous. Dad has no photos from that most awesome time and we really would appreciate it if anyone has one.. Thank you in advance!! :D
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Here's one, although not an official Cherokee Cowboys photo nor your dad in there either:

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

a little more enhanced same picture.
Donna Sherrard Williams

Thank you both so much for the pictures. I will make sure dad sees them and if anyone else happens to have anything from that time period in 1960, we sure would like to see if Dad just happened to be in the photo. Thanks again !!!
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Here is a third attempt at the same picture. I think that is Steve Bess on drums and Shorty Lavender on fiddle.

The other 2 pix are the best I can do for about 1960.

Donna Sherrard Williams

thank you ! we appreciate the pictures and hopefully just maybe with a little luck, we just MIGHT get one that Dad was in. Thanks again everyone!
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=7HHRCVP ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=QPx1nA2 ... re=related
I an sure I saw a youtube clip of Ray Price with Jimmy Day and Jonny Paycheck on bass but I can't find it . Anyway There are plenty more of these up there , maybe your dad would like to see them .
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

In the first photo, is that a brand new 1960 Brown Bandmaster over Jimmy Day's shoulder? The first ones were not piggyback, I guess.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Donna Sherrard Williams

Thanks Brendan... I will be sure dad sees these!!
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Wow, 1959 Ford Galaxie convertable. Nice car, wander what town this was taken at?
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Henry:

With a little Google-fu, I'd guess Meridian, Mississippi. Probably during their annual Jimmie Rodgers wing-ding.

There was a Lamar Building in Meridian in 1950, and that pic shows both "Lamar Building" and "Meridian Insurance Agency".

http://www.lawskills.com/case/ga/id/699/66/index.html

"If for any reason he should not enter Riverside this fall, it is understood and agreed that I forfeit the enclosed Twenty-five dollars, but am not otherwise responsible. Date 8-17-50 Signature /s/ M. L. Rosenbaum, 407 Lamar Building, Meridian, Mississippi."
Donna Sherrard Williams

dad does have dementia now and confusion about so many things but he does remember Jimmy Day, Donnie and Shorty Lavendar being in the band when he was with the Cherokee Cowboys.... keep looking for pictures everybody and THANK YOU :)
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Donna:

Here is another I found; I know most of these guys, but not all.

Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

If there was one guitar that I'd want a replica of, it's the original Blue Darlin'!
Donna Sherrard Williams

Thanks Mitch. Buddy Emmons is the steelman in that photo though so that was after Jimmy Day when Dad would have been with the band. Thanks so much for the effort though :) Still looking :)
Jerry Erickson

Post by Jerry Erickson »

Chris, The amp could be a Concert, with 4-10" speakers or a Bandmaster with 3-10" speakers. There was a tweed Bandmaster model, also 3-10's. Great pics!
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Donna, what was Boogie's full name?

Shorty Lavender, Donny Young (aka Paycheck), Steve Bess, Jimmy Day, were from the 1960 band, so your dad would be right with the year he worked with the band.
Roger Miller had joined in '59, but was gone, Bess got replaced by Johnny Bush, and Young/Paycheck was replaced by Willie Nelson in '61.
Donna Sherrard Williams

Dad's full name is Donald Ray Sherrard.... but NOBODY calls him that when he picked lol... he has had that nickname since he was about 3 years old.. so Boogie Sherrard would probably have been listed on anything
Alan Berdoulay

J.d.

Post by Alan Berdoulay »

Came across this picture from New River Ranch near Rising Sun, Md. No lead guitar player......just lookin to post it.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Jerry Erickson wrote:Chris, The amp could be a Concert, with 4-10" speakers or a Bandmaster with 3-10" speakers. There was a tweed Bandmaster model, also 3-10's. Great pics!
I think it says "Band Master",but whatever it is,the tweed-ish grillcloth and the 1960 pic date make it a very early one.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Mitch Drumm wrote:Donna:

Here is another I found; I know most of these guys, but not all.

I am guessing Pete Wade, Jan Curtis, Ray Price, Johnny Paycheck, Buddy Emmons, and Buddy Spicher.
2013 Williams D-10, 2019 Williams D-10, 1970 Fender Twin, Evans SE200, Fender Tonemaster Twin, Hilton pedal, Jagwire Strings.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Regarding Mitch's pic, I'm assuming that's 1962 when Donnie Young-Paycheck rejoined on bass, and Buddy Spicher was probably the newest member as I've seen pics of the same group, except Shorty Lavender was on fiddle rather than Spicher.

That band was assembled after Willie Nelson split to form his own band with Jimmy Day, Johnny Bush, and Wade Ray...
Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Alan Berdoulay, thanks for the photo, hadn't seen this one, this is a favorite Ray Price period of mine because of Jimmy Day and his Blue Darlin' of that era.

Wondering if this photo was shot by Leon Kagarise?
Alan Berdoulay

Post by Alan Berdoulay »

I think it was....although I don't remember if it was in the book about him.
As an aside.......not long ago I lived within walking distance of the old New River Ranch site. You can still find evidence of the park there.....including the cabin that Leon took that picture of Ernest Tubb in front of.....if you've seen a copy of the book Pure Country.
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

Henry, I think that is a 1958 Ford convertible? Wish I could see the taillights.