Isopropyl alchohol as a cleaning agent

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

A. B. Traynor
Location: 4th Street& Royal ave New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Isopropyl alchohol as a cleaning agent

Post by A. B. Traynor »

Is it safe to use isop. toget rid of gunk on strings?
Allen Kentfield

Isopropyl

Post by Allen Kentfield »

Absolutely. I bottle a bottle for a dollar yesterday. Should last a couple years. I've used nothing but for about 30 years. :D

Allen Kentfield
Austin, Texas
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

This is no joke.
Vodka is better it leaves no residue and you can always drink what is left over.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

I've heard of steel players using a Blitz cloth (from an army surplus store or available online). Personally I have never found a need to clean my strings on a steel!
Allen Kentfield

Post by Allen Kentfield »

:oops:
I meant to say I bought a bottle. That's a toungue twister. Sounds like I've been drinking it. Not recommended.
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

I was in a music store several years ago asking about string cleaner. The man said we have it and I'll sell it to you, but you're better off using rubbing alcohol. I agree with Bryan and don't see much use for the psg strings, but it works well on steel bass fiddle strings. And it's a lot easier than taking them off and boiling them!
J.R. Marlowe
Life has many choices. Eternity has TWO. I choose Heaven.
Black '95 Zumsteel SD10, 4+5;Black Mullen RP SD10, 4+5
NRA Life member
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

There are a couple steel players in this area that constantly wipe their strings, after every song, just wiping away. It gets agravating to me to watch them. I'm along with Bryan, only time I ever wipe my stings is if I spill something on them. If they get bad enought to clean, I replace them. However, there are certain people that have a body chemistry that when they touch a string, hair is growing on it in about an hour. Those do need to wipe or clean their strings.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Peter Lindelauf

Post by Peter Lindelauf »

Call me a wastrel but if I felt my strings were in need of cleaning, I'd be putting a new set on because they'd probably be dead, too. I always wash my hands before I play and change my various instrument strings often enough to keep them sounding bright. And tunable.
At $7-8 a set for lap steel strings, that's a minor cost for major sound quality.

Reminds me of a guy in a train station who really wanted to try playing my (at the time) herringbone Martin D-28. This just after he wiped fried chicken grease off his fingers and onto his jean jacket. Don't think so.
...but you are the music / while the music lasts (TS Eliot)
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

"All Performers Must Wash Hands"
Richard Paul

Post by Richard Paul »

Cleaning the strings, would that remove the mistakes too?
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Hey Henry,
We also know a guitar player that has a "wiping" rag hanging out of his back pocket.
Peter Lindelauf

Post by Peter Lindelauf »

Bryan, you can play my guitars whenever you want.
...but you are the music / while the music lasts (TS Eliot)
Ray McCarthy

Post by Ray McCarthy »

You can get a box of 120 individually packaged alcohol swabs at Rite Aid. It's easy to throw a couple in your pocket for the gig.
John Coffman

Post by John Coffman »

I keep a spray bottle next to my steel. I also clean my bars with it. Hand oils are hard on stings. Since I live near Houston moisture is always an issue. It is nice to have it near by when I change strings. I seem to always get a stick from the end of a string.
ShowPro SD10, Mullen RP, Bose S1 Pro, GK MB200, MB500, Bugera T50 Tube amp with SlidgeRig, TC HOF reverb effect.