Remembering Jimmy Nichols/brother to Roy

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ransom Beers

Remembering Jimmy Nichols/brother to Roy

Post by Ransom Beers »

I talked to Gene Nichols & he confirmed the passing of Jimmy.He was a great lead guitar player, almost as good as his bro. Roy,both will be missed in my world as they were good friends & close acquaintances.
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Ransom;

My deepest condolences to the entire Nichols family.

How can I get in touch with Gene?
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Ernie chk. your email.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I had the Great Pleasure of playing with Jimmy many times, So sorry to hear of his passing..
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Jimmy was a great player,Roy told me once that he was very proud of his little bro.Jim loved to fish & we done a lot of it when I was around him.
Lloyd Burl Brown

Post by Lloyd Burl Brown »

I am stunned and saddened. I had the joy of working Fresno and area clubs with both Jimmy and Gene in the sixties. They were both way better than me. I was never more honored than when Jimmy brought me to L.A. to join a band he was in (1968). I was both thrilled and terrified (We followed Wynn Stewart and the Tourists at The Brite Torch in La Puente). He told me during that time that Roy exhorted him "Don't ever play anything that you can't explain musically (chord theory)." May not be an exact quote after all these years... But I took the point to heart when Jimmy repeated it to me. It became a guiding principle and often quoted to others along my way.

I'm so sorry to hear about his passing. I hope I can connect with Gene when next out there. He must feel terribly alone without Roy and Jimmy.
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Wechter-Scheerhorn Resonator McIntyre + Sennheiser MZH 908b
Fishman LB100
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Roy was so proud of Jimmy & yes those were the words he told me also although like you I don't remember the exact wording but that is the basics of it.Had a lot of fun with Jimmy,fishin',jammin' & just general BS'n'.Sure miss him.Gene told me he's the only one of the Nichols boys left,Larry also passed .Don't know when tho.The 3 sisters are still above ground.
Brian Powell

jimmy

Post by Brian Powell »

im sorry to hear about jimmy i played music with jimmy for years when i was liveing in fresno he was one the greats on guitar and will be missed . you know jimmy and roy are tearing it now in heaven .
show pro SD 10 4/5 thomas SD10 3/4.2NV400. fender twin amp. evans fet500.proflex 2.boss super chorus ch-1 digitech digital delay.goodrich v/p elite pack seat.1962 fender tele.1961 kay guitar.epiphone mandolin .1945 0016 MARTIN.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Ya think they'll be still jammin' when we get there?Well when you get there ,I doubt I make it,too many bar gigs,you know what happens in one "O" places.
Bill Bailey

Jimmy

Post by Bill Bailey »

Question for Lloyd Burl Brown, Did you ever play for the Gage Twins from Fresno? Were you a lumber salesman from Portland?
Bill Bailey
Kingman Arizona
2014 Mullen G2 D 10 8+5 Black
92 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10
Two Nashville 400 Amps and Nashvill 112.
Lloyd Burl Brown

Post by Lloyd Burl Brown »

Yep, guilty on all counts. I remember your fine playing on that beautiful Blue Sho-Bud, too. Good to here from you. Hope you're doing well and still pickin'.
Lloyd Burl Brown
Mountain View, Arkansas

My stuff:
Emmons D10 Push Pull 8&5
Excel Superb D10 9&6
Peavey Nashville 112
Lexicon MPX-550
Wechter-Scheerhorn Resonator McIntyre + Sennheiser MZH 908b
Fishman LB100