Digitech Pedal Questions

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I use the 150 for reverb, chorus and delay and it works better for me run thru the fx loop of my Nash 112. I use GeorgeL cables too.

Tony
Jerry Bull

Post by Jerry Bull »

I've that too Tony and it does work great. Right now I've settled on this set up that seems to be satisfying my need for playability and tone. Steel>bobro>VP>RP150>left @ right outputs to two NV112's beside me. I will add that I have the Bobro pedal and the RP150 down at my feet between my 4th pedal and the volume pedal. Its super discrete and keeps a low profile so I don't have a bunch of junk scattered out everywhere. As long as my belly doesn't get any bigger so I can't look down to change functions on the effects, this ought to work for a while. Ha, but I, being a steel player will probably change to some other way when the daisies start blooming. I doubt it though, this seems to be working pretty well. For the moment.
www.psgpicker@gmail.com (Sierra Crown D-10 keyless)2-Nashville 112's, Steelers Choice, Hilton VP, Digitech RP150, Bobro, GeorgeL's cables, BJS Bars and Picks.
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

I decided to keep the Digitech box around because I'm lazy and cheap. I am going to have to fiddle around with the overdrive a little because it's blowing the bands eardrums out when I use it...I switched to a Reno 400 amp from a 112 and that is like comparing apples to oranges. I hate being a technology idiot. How do I adjust the patches via computer ?
D.S. Rigsby
Jerry Bull

Post by Jerry Bull »

Go to Digitechs website and you can download the free software and its all down hill from there. :D
www.psgpicker@gmail.com (Sierra Crown D-10 keyless)2-Nashville 112's, Steelers Choice, Hilton VP, Digitech RP150, Bobro, GeorgeL's cables, BJS Bars and Picks.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Dustin, get you a BOSS RV-5 Reverb, and either a BOSS DD-3, or a DD-6 Delay, and go guitar-volume pedal-delay-reverb-amp. Experiment until you come up with the right settings, or I can give you mine. :D
graham rodger

Post by graham rodger »

Just bought an RP150 for next to nothing on Ebay after reading a few threads on here,I was looking for a reverb/delay pedal anyway,Really pleased with it,and the Xedit feature to program on PC is a doddle,that's Scottish for easy peasy.The stock factory preset for black face Fender Twin setting,number 2 in both the user and factory preset settings WOKE! my practise amp up,a solo series bandit,it used to lack bass bigtime,not any more,a few tweaks later and I had exactly the sound I want!I have also just bought my first pedal steel amp,hasn't arrived yet,not a favourite with a lot of folks but all I could pin down in the UK short term a Peavey Session 400 Limited.I need the POWER!,and I'm sure with just the EQ on the RP150 I will come up with some "nice sounds"will keep you posted.Amp mod's?We'll see... Cheers Graham :)
Dick Sexton

RP-150 Presets and Information...

Post by Dick Sexton »

If you go here, you will find information and presets to get you started...

http://cid-594320d13092d8fb.office.live ... %20Patches

Easy Peasy... Love that!
Michael Robertson

RP150 from Dale Hansen.

Post by Michael Robertson »

I have ordered a special built hanger for my RP150 from Dale Hansen.
This device will put the RP150 within reach as I play.
After I receive it and if you like I will post some pictures.
As for adjustments on the fly, as long as I can reach it they’re not that hard to do.
The biggest advantage to the RP150 is the ability to set a channel for a specific song or style.
My latest discovery of the RP150 is the use of the EQ via the X-edit software.
Thanks to Dick Sexton directions.
This feature is a real asset to dialing in your steel to the amp you use.
The ability to select a frequency and either bump or cut it is a life saver.
My two cents worth anyway.
Dick Sexton

Thank you!

Post by Dick Sexton »

Michael,

I have to give Steve English all the credit for the instructions(and most presets) I've made available on the Skydrive. Glad to hear it was a help. And yes I'd like to see a pic of this hanger your getting.

My best to you,
Dick S....
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Yeah, like I said :mrgreen: I think the Digitech engineers kinda missed the centerpoint with their mid and treble settings - but with the X-edit you basically have the parametric "Q" of both right in front of you and with some tweaking can get, like, perfect for your amp & steel. That part of the process means you have a lot of stuff happening - poking on a computer, playing your steel, diddling your amp :eek: ... sometimes it's easier to just save in a row four or five similar models with different EQ settings (umm, write this DOWN) and then when you're playing you can see what's working best. Darn thing sounds good, that's all.

I have problems playing music and computing simultaneously, the kids're just ducks in water - a laptop replacing five stomps & an amp, wish my vertebrae had known that one.
Michael Robertson

Will do

Dick Sexton:
Will do with the pictures.
Dale Hansen is shipping it to me within the next day or so.

David Mason:
Keep in mind that once you develop an EQ setting or anything you like you can save it to a specific channel and have it at the ready for next time.
graham rodger

Post by graham rodger »

Cheers Dick,Michael,David all who own em!Dick I downloaded your Steel1 and Emmons settings,like them a lot!Still to gig them,also very quickly set a clean patch with a lexicon hall setting to gig on Saturday playing mandolin as I was through a small keyboard amp Peavey A30?not sure,with no reverb,but had quickly reduced amount of reverb from setting I set up at home with No3 knob,sounded great,lovely tool to have in the bag!!
Our bass player is also a sound engineer and loved the reverb!! Graham :)
Dick Sexton

Great!

Post by Dick Sexton »

Graham, glad you like them, and are already using them. Steve English has made it easy for us, with a starting point and instructions. My hats off to him. If you work out any setting of your own, and would like to share them, email them to me as an attachment, and I will put them up on my skydrive to share with the forum membership. My best to you...
Mike Bowles

reverbs

Post by Mike Bowles »

im using a lexicon dual mpx 100 is this about the same as the rp 150
Mike Bowles
Michael Robertson

RP150 Platform

Dick Sexton, as promised here is a “teaser” photo Dale Hansen sent of my new platform.
I mentioned to Dale I wanted the platform stable and the RP150 probably didn’t weight much more that 2 pounds.
I understand my platform is in the mail and after I receive it and set it up I’ll post additional picture if you like.

No Avatar only a picture of my Mentor.
Dick Sexton

RP Platform...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Thanks Michael,
Looks like a useful addition, enabling "on the fly" changes. I'll keep an eye out for the other pics...
Michael Robertson

On the Fly

Well Dick I just got this about an hour ago.
It fits great and is at a perfect height.
As for “On the fly” adjustments with the RP150 it’s going to be a lot easier.

Dick Sexton

RP150 caddy...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Michael,
Sweet, and room for you picks and bar... Good idea!
Michael Robertson

Thanks

Thanks I think it will work out well.
Dale Hansen did a good job.
He used some heavier material for this one.
Very stable.
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

Hi Mike,

Just got a RP 150 (which are discontinued). I picked up a new one at AMS for only 69.00 while they last. I see you go from VP direct into the unit. The instructions say to go from the output of the RP 150 to the effects loop return on the amp, not into the amp's (in my case a 112) instrument input. Is that what you do? I thought that strange. Why not just use the whole loop (send and return) like normal?
How would you set the amp/mixer button if you just use the effects loop yet send the steel into the 112 instrument input? Just a bit confused here and can't get an answer from the manual. Thanks
Michael Robertson

Not much help

Mitch, the whole “How to Patch” issue has bounced back and forth forever.
I have tried every conceivable sequence and truthfully I have not been able to determine which if any is the best.
I know that technically there are those here on the forum that know all the reasons for doing it one way and not the other, but I can’t say which configuration is “best”.
Hopefully they will chime in and provide you with better advice than I can offer. Sorry.
There are two patches I use:
From the guitar to the volume pedal to the processor to the amp input.
From the guitar to the processor to the volume pedal to the amp input.
I have tried using the effects loop feature in a variety of ways but for me I haven’t yet found any real benefit. There’s got to be a reason but I can’t tell you what it would be.
Not much help I know.
By the way, how can you tell how I patch by looking at the photo?
Dick Sexton

Good question!

Post by Dick Sexton »

Mitch, that is a good question, and one I'd like to see several of the RP150 users answer. I had to go back to the manual to find where it says to use the effects loop return. It was there in sort of a side note! The diagram seems to be showing the RP going directly into the amps "Guitar Input".

I've had mine for a while now and have always just hooked it up, Steel/VP/RP150/NV112(High Input). After reading your post and going back to the manual, I have tried running it, Steel/VP/RP/NV112 Pre Effects Return, which bypasses the Pre Amp, I believe(the amp pre gain has no control).

My opinion is that, for me, the Guitar Input, is a little more lively... I know that that is not a technical term, but it sounds to me like it has more life. Hard to explain, except that there is a slight but noticeable difference.

I would sure like to hear from others using the RP and NV112. By the way, my normal gigging set up is two NV112s, Post Effects send out of the first, Post Effects Return into the second. But I'm always open to suggestions on how to improve my setup.

Thanks...
Michael Robertson

Stereo?

Dick have you tried the Stereo outs on the RP to both amp inputs?
Sweet.......
No one out front will hear the difference but it sure sounds good from where I sit.
Dick Sexton

Stereo hook up...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Michael, no I haven't tried that yet... Just went to two amps after a failure right before a job.

I'm like an "old" hound, if them rabbits want to chase themselves around the yard. I'm perfectly content just to watch from my comfortable spot on the porch.

I will give the stereo hook up a try, next gig. Thank you, I had forgotten about that...
Michael Robertson

Differences

Like I said Dick I doubt anyone out front will hear the difference but it sure is inspirational from the driver’s seat.
I’m not sure if it is possible but I swear I hear a better gain and control of tone in stereo.
I do know the amps will “load” together and perhaps that is what I am hearing.
Try different set ups, like tilted back and triangulated on you or facing forward.
You will hear differences.
Have fun