Jimmy Dickens Steel Player (way back)

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Norm Kidwell

Post by Norm Kidwell »

Does any body know or ever hear of steel player,last name Crank that played for Jimmy Dickens?Where can i find pictures with his steel.
tenstrings
Buddy Emmons

Post by Buddy Emmons »

tenstrings… His name was Coy Crank from the Indianapolis Indiana area and I’ve heard Little Jim speak of him many times. Jimmy Day, Sonny Burnette, Bud Isaacs, Coy Crank, and I shared credits on an album by Little Jimmy Dickens called, “Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight.” Coy passed away in 1997 and I have no idea where you'll find pictures, but knowing his first name might help you find a source.
Chuck Hall

Post by Chuck Hall »

:D
Chuck
MCI D10 8/4 Nashville 400 and a Profex.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

:D :D
Last edited by Frank Freniere on 8 Mar 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm Kidwell

Post by Norm Kidwell »

Thanks Buddy, I new somebody had to know. Back then i would imagine you all were a tight group.I am glad to hear from you. We wish you all the best.
tenstrings
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

:D :D :D
Robert Brown

Post by Robert Brown »

:D :D :D :D
Zum D10 8x6 w/Alumitone's,Fender D8,Regal Dobro,Fender twin reverb, Peavey nashville 112,Hilton pedal,Peterson Strobo-flip,BJS&Zirc Bars,George L's cables
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Here is a pic of an early Dickens band. Crank could be one of the unidentified people. Jabbo Arrington died in 1952, so this pic is before that. Bob Moore was born in 1932, so if he is really 17 in this picture, then it was taken circa 1949/1950, when Crank was recording with Jimmy.

I found this blurb on the internet from Coy's daughter. She says she has pictures back to 1947.

http://www.familyfirst.com/official-web ... e-jim.html

Terri Crank Lane on February 9, 2009 1:36 PM

Hello. My father played the steel guitar for Jimmie in the 40's and I believe the early 50's. He and Jimmie performed for live radio broadcasts in Saginaw as well. I am trying to develope a time line of my dad's music history and need to see if Jimmie or anyone can help me out. My dad was Coy Crank from Indianapolis Indiana. He passed away in 1997, and my mother is gone as well, so I have limited resources. I have some photos of the band dated 1947 and 1949, but no other dates regarding when my dad played. I appreciate any info you can give me. Best regards, and thanks Jimmie for giving me many happy memories through my dad's music.

Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Look for the post from Terri Crank Lane
about halfway down -> THIS page.

->THIS page indicates that he was a Ham
Operator and lists his street address in
Danville, Indiana.

->THIS page lists him as recording with
Tater at the Castle Studio in Nashville in
September of 1950.

Awright
& Mighty
Fine ~
~Russ
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Russ
You are an amazing researcher, my brother! Where do you FIND this stuff?!?!
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Mitch Drumm wrote:Here is a pic of an early Dickens band. Crank could be one of the unidentified people. Jabbo Arrington died in 1952, so this pic is before that. Bob Moore was born in 1932, so if he is really 17 in this picture, then it was taken circa 1949/1950, when Crank was recording with Jimmy.

I found this blurb on the internet from Coy's daughter. She says she has pictures back to 1947.

http://www.familyfirst.com/official-web ... e-jim.html

Terri Crank Lane on February 9, 2009 1:36 PM

Hello. My father played the steel guitar for Jimmie in the 40's and I believe the early 50's. He and Jimmie performed for live radio broadcasts in Saginaw as well. I am trying to develope a time line of my dad's music history and need to see if Jimmie or anyone can help me out. My dad was Coy Crank from Indianapolis Indiana. He passed away in 1997, and my mother is gone as well, so I have limited resources. I have some photos of the band dated 1947 and 1949, but no other dates regarding when my dad played. I appreciate any info you can give me. Best regards, and thanks Jimmie for giving me many happy memories through my dad's music.

The guy standing on the left behind Jabbo Arrington is Coy Crank. He played on "Sleepin At The Foot Of The Bed" and "Hillbilly Fever" among others.
Jerry Fleming

Post by Jerry Fleming »

Hi Terri,

My dad Wayne W4YKK and his brother Jack W4SMT and me N4NLL were good friends of Coy's. We use to get on the air and chew the rag on a regular basis. Coy came to our house to visit a couple of times. My mom and dad went to Danville Indiana to vist with Coy and another friend named Warner Bandy. I think Warner lived in Champane. I loved to hear the road stories and some of the jokes they would play on the new guy joining the band. Coy was a joy to be with and we shared many meals and jam sessions together. I miss those times!

I may be able to find some photos. I will take a look!

Kind regards,

Jerry Fleming
Doug Seymour

Post by Doug Seymour »

Little Jimmy came to Corry PA with the Missouri Fox Hunters as hosts and did a show & dance. Buddy told me one time who the twin guitar guys were.....finest I'd ever hear up to that point in my young life? Near the mid 50s I'd guess. Walter Haynes took me on stage during their break and showed me his triple neck Bigsby and I'm pretty sure he had a pedal for the Isaacs change.....don't recall if it was 1 pedal, but I almost think it may have been before Jimmy & Buddy had found it better to be 2 pedals. This show was just before Buddy joined Little Jimmy and Walter was doubling on fiddle some.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Doug:

Probably this band here:

Doug Seymour

Post by Doug Seymour »

Nope? Twin guitars and the Bigsby Walter was playing standing wouldn't have been that one ? or did they have two set of legs & pedal rods?? Help us out folks??
D Watson

Post by D Watson »

TTT
Ray Montee

I need YOU help also!

Post by Ray Montee »

Not meaning to hyjack your great informative post, but since BUDDY and other knowledgeable SGF Expers have actively contributed to this fine post, I simply have to inquire:

WHICH steel player.......
played on "HOT DIGGIDY DAWG"?

Your answer will settle a decades old conflict within my very own mind. THANK YOU!
Norm Kidwell

Post by Norm Kidwell »

Here is a picture of a famous person He was the known as "Jimmy the Kid". This would be in the 40's.
tenstrings
D Watson

Post by D Watson »

TTT
Jussi Huhtakangas

Re: I need YOU help also!

Ray Montee wrote:Not meaning to hyjack your great informative post, but since BUDDY and other knowledgeable SGF Expers have actively contributed to this fine post, I simply have to inquire:

WHICH steel player.......
played on "HOT DIGGIDY DAWG"?

Your answer will settle a decades old conflict within my very own mind. THANK YOU!
According to the disco info on the Bear Family box set it was Gordon Flynn. Thumbs Carlille played guitar on the session.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I sent the picture to our bass player, Bernie Waldon who is from Indianapolis and was a DJ at WIRE in Indianapolis. He wasn't sure if he could identify him in that old picture but he knew where he lived on the west side of Indianapolis.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Update, Bernie thinks Coy is the guy between Jabo and Billy Stuart.

He thinks the person standing, in black, is probably the front man/singer that bands used to have.
Jussi Huhtakangas

^No, the guy behind the bass is Floyd Robinson, Coy is the one standing behind Jabbo. There are other photos from the same session of him holding his steel guitar which appears to be a National.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Update. I had it wrong, Bernie had identified Coy in the picture. He didn't know who the guy was in the black outfit.
Last edited by Jack Stoner on 6 Apr 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

....there is an old recording download under the :"vinyl rip" stars actually,very interesting....http://cousin-mike.blogspot.com/2009/02 ... untry.html