Watched Hank III On Marty Stuart Show and.......

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wally Taylor

Watched Hank III On Marty Stuart Show and.......

Post by Wally Taylor »

PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Sorry, but I found him and his voice borderline irritatng, nasal and sounded like he had been breathing helium before the show. :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Just my humble opinion of course. :lol:
Was anyone else impressed with this guy?
Wally
Bobby Hearn

Post by Bobby Hearn »

He had a good steel player though. I've never been a fan of his although his daddy was a hero of mine growing up in the mid to late 80s. A lot of people say that he sounds like Hank Sr, maybe on high notes
Kenny Foy

Post by Kenny Foy »

Watched him years ago when his daddy,Jr, introduced him for his first tv appearance on the Gary Chapman show. Hid his ponytail down inside the back of his jacket. He sang seniors songs and if you closed your eyes sounded just exactly like Sr. I was just amazed, but tonite I'm inclined to agree. Too nasally. Buuuut typically another good Marty Stewart Show. Go Marty.
kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

When I saw him on the Gary Chapman show, He had a great steel player!
Paul Martin

Post by Paul Martin »

Hank III wore his Granddaddy's suit tonight too. There were moments when he was taping the show where you actually could hear "that" sound coming through. "III" has a slightly different audience than the usual country act, so it was neat having him on to show that the Williams bloodline is still going strong. If you stop and think about it, his grandaddy and dad haven't done things in a very conventional way either.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Loves me the III! Best country out there.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Heard a member say one time he did'nt like [which is his right] country music because some had a southern nasel drawl. Maybe that's the reason Hank NEVER made it. :lol: I wonder if over a half century after they are gone if Garth,Kenny,RF's,etc will still be selling well. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Saw Hank III tonight. Fabulous honky tonk group performance! The steel player was excellent. Great honky tonk voice. Marty Stuart owns that original Hank Sr. suit that Hank III was wearing. Marty was playing Hank Sr's. old Martin on the show. Marty also sang excellent harmony. Hank Sr. was nasally also. Count me in. I love Hank III.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

They all looked like a grung band fron the 90's,still it was enjoyable from a pure listening viewpoint but if you're going to be picky I guess it wasn't all that great.Marty & The Fabulous Superlatives are great.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I usually watch the show but missed it Saturday night. I have enjoyed watching Marty's show but I sure am not a big fan of Hank Jr. I do enjoy watching Connie Smith sing and the musicians are just pretty good on the show.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Paul King wrote:I sure am not a big fan of Hank Jr.
Who does? He's the Williams donut hole.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I like the hank the III sound.
A.K.A Chappy.
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

Never cared for the "Hank Williams "sound...ever .Liked the music and Mr.Helms but that was as far as I could go . Was more into Ray Price ,Hank Thompson,and Jack Greene along with Buck and Merle .
Loved GARY CARTERS playing (needs more solos like this weeks) ,Hank3 ... not so much .Still best show on TV. Thanks Marty,Paul,Kenny & Harry...Gary and especially Connie Smith .
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
Charles Davidson

TK
Last edited by Charles Davidson on 28 Mar 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

everyone bags on Jr. but just remember he wrote Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound which is AWESOME. Granted he's sucked since the mid 80's but you cant say he was never good.

Thats a big shadow to have to live in and Jr. has had to do it also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caq_fnNlrqQ
Bernie Gonyea

Hank III's Steel Player

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :whoa: :whoa: :roll: :D

Does anyone know whom the guy is playin' Steel for the young Hank? I loved his style of pickin on that Fender Non-Pedal; He really made those control knobs do their thing; Made me think a lot of Kayton Roberts . Not a fan of Hank III but enjoy his efforts to sound like Grampa Hank.. He does his best, indeed, in keeping country Music alive.. I pat him on the back for doing that..Bernie :whoa: :whoa: :roll:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Bernie its Andy Gibson on steel. I like him too.

I like all 3 Hanks... I dont know how one can so easily find fault with three generations of tradition and headstrong buttkickin american music.
Steve Raulston

Post by Steve Raulston »

I agree......... though I have never been a huge fan of the Williams tribe, I respect the music they have done and the fact that III is doing his best to keep "Country" alive is a better attempt at that than 99% of the stuff I hear on the air these days. Sure wish "Country" and "Country Rock" or "Country Pop" would divide like hard rock, soft rock, pop or the many other genres that have branched off. TO have "Pure Country" or "Traditional Country" in lieu of everything being categorized in the same genre as it is presently. Come on Nashville, PLEASE wake up! :D
Charles Davidson

Paul,you stated the musicians in Marty's band are [JUST PRETTY GOOD]. :? That's allmost like saying Frank Sinatra was JUST a pretty good pop singer,or Chet Atkins was JUST a pretty good guitar picker. :lol: YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Tracy Sheehan

Hank 3rd.

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

Doubt he wants to sound like Hank sr. I know one singer personaly who had a rough time as he sounded too much like Ray Price. As is said they don't need another Ray Price. I worked with a singer back in the 60s who sounded exactly like Marty Robbins and he coulden't help it. He told me he tried not to sound like him as there was already a M.R.
Made sense to me. :D
Alvin Blaine

Re: Hank 3rd.

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Tracy Sheehan wrote: I know one singer personaly who had a rough time as he sounded too much like Ray Price. As is said they don't need another Ray Price.
Funny that you bring up Ray Price, because Ray went through the same thing, when he started his singing career using the "Drifting Cowboys", with everyone telling him he sounded to much like Hiram "Hank"(NO IT'S NOT SR.) Williams.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Charles, Saying "Pretty Good" is just a figure of speech. I will say none of those guys are at the level of Emmons or Franklin. They are there becasuse they can play. My words were in no way considered to be a slam. I have always loved to hear Marty play and consider him to be a faantastic musician. I enjoyed hearing Frank Sinatra sing and was amazed how good his voice was. All that said, I still do not care for Hank Jr. Just my opinion.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

"None of those guys are at the level of Emmons or Franklin?".... Then again they're not steel players either, are they? On their own instruments they're at that level. Kenny Vaughn (lead guitar) in Marty's band is at any level he wants to play! And Marty's mandolin playing is subperb. I can't remember his drummer's name but he's a top session player as well as being one of the best harmony vocalists I've ever heard and sings with everyone on record.

As far as Hank III goes, I love his old raspy, nasally, version of country and listen to him a lot. I have that Three Hanks CD which is a constant in my car. Also Hank Jr.?.... In my book, he surpassed his father and took it to another level. Hank Sr. was OK but he was just a simple honkytonk singer who wouldn't have made it if he's came out even ten years later than he did. It's a damn shame though when you think about him dying at so young an age! I've always wondered how his music would've evolved and if he'd continued writing those classic tunes, probably not! He'd more than likely started using cocaine or wound up in an alcoholic ward!.....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

everyone bags on Jr. but just remember he wrote Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound which is AWESOME.
:eek:
Myron Reed

RE: Hank III

Post by Myron Reed »

Like many have said. It's already been done. Hank Jr. made it by changing his style. I don't think Hank III has done much in quite a few years now.