7 string build complete

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Bracewell

7 string build complete

Post by Mark Bracewell »

I had been waiting forever it seemed for a bridge I designed for this guitar but my friend the machinist, well, let's just say that downtime isn't an issue for him at the moment :)

So one day I was thinking about Corian which I have been using for making nuts, and I thought, 'why not make this bridge out of that while I'm waiting?' I'm glad I did as it proved the bridge concept for me, and it has a very nice sound indeed.

More pics which show the bridge and other mistakes are here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/110574698305143677659/Steel#

Before anyone asks - the logo is one of the mistakes - I though hey, what a cool font for WG (Willow Glen Guitars) but it looks like IVG - um, intravenous guitars? I dunno, mistakes, they're what I do.

Other notes, that's a Lollar Chicago Steel under the cover, the chicken head knob is a varitone, it's tuned (lo to hi) E G# B E G# B E, the low E is 60 gauge, pretty growly, scale length is 23.

The woods are Walnut body, Narra top, Ziricote fretboard with Bloodwood and Bubinga binding. The knobs are turned from acrylic that's an almost match for the el-cheapo tuners.

I have 3 six string laps in the pipe, 2 this shape and one goofy electric plank type of thing - all are supposed to have my metal bridge and a new pickup design, which means it'll be another forever before they're done. Oh well.

(edited to upload a better pic)
Last edited by Mark Bracewell on 28 Mar 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

HELLO MARK,

This is one great looking lap steel guitar. 8)

What is the name of your tuning?

Will you be selling custom guitars in the future?

Roger
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Mark,
You da MAN!!!
She's beautiful,
and that little touch of Bloodwood adds another dimension that is riveting. It's hard to take your eyes off her.
Makes me want to hold her.

You done it again.
Congrats.
Don
p.s. (and no, I haven't completed my triple 8 with the gorgeous fret boards you made for me. I've been covered up in building bookcases and credenzas for clients, and my shop is still not quite finished, so there go my weekends for a while.
When I get back to it, you will be the first to know.)
Jason Dumont

Post by Jason Dumont »

Wow! what a beautiful job Mark!
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Really nice, Mark !

How's the Corian in comparison to bone and/or metal ?
Warmer like the bone, or more brash like metal?

I like the even spacing end to end also, I'm planning a multi neck, and I really think I'm going to implement that.
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
Mark Bracewell

Post by Mark Bracewell »

Thanks all.

Roger, it's just E Maj, same as you'd find on a 6 string, with an extra G#. My plan is to make so many that I am forced to sell them to save my marriage ;-)

Stan, I was surprised that the corian was brighter than I expected. I'd surmise it would be a lot like bone, but I have no bone bridge to compare to except on a weissenborn style instrument that's a whole other world. Compared to my supro which has a similar design and break angle made from thick sheet metal, it's very similar I think, but another pair of ears might not.

On the even spacing, wow, I am really liking that myself, it's wide too, the strings are 7/16 spaced. I'm making some tapered necks now (like that one I made from your design), but I'm sort of kicking myself, the even spacing is very cool.
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Mark,
How did you ground the Corian bridge?
Alan Barley

Post by Alan Barley »

Beautiful work Mark!

Alan
www.alanbarley.com

Weissenborn Style 1, Asher Royal Hawaiian, Ben Harper, Ben Harper Series 2, & Dual Sonic prototype, Paddy Burgin Weissenborn & Baritone Weiss., Weissenborn Teardrop copy, '46 Bakelite, '42 Bakelite, '35 Frypan, '53 National Dynamic, Clinesmith Dobro.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

That looks great Mark!
Mark Bracewell

Post by Mark Bracewell »

Don McGregor wrote:Mark,
How did you ground the Corian bridge?
There's a bit of copper foil on the bottom of the bridge that the string ends are touching, ground wire is soldered to that. Good question.

Glad to hear you're busy Don, but I wanna see that triple 8)