Sho bud color question?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy Narzynski

Sho bud color question?

Post by Andy Narzynski »

:?: Hi, my pedal steel friends. I just purchased a teal green, maybe blueish sho bud super pro.Is this a rare color for these. I think its really different ,what do you think. Thanks Andy
Gary Brekke

Post by Gary Brekke »

Hi Andy, can you post some good quality digital photos of it? I'd love to see it.
Andy Narzynski

Sho Bud color question?

Post by Andy Narzynski »

Hey Gary, as soon as i get it im going to put some pics up. My wife is gonna shoot me! I just ordered a new Jackson Madison 63 that im going to pickup real soon, 3 months ago i bought a real nice Emmons LeGrand 2. Ive loved the sound of pedal steel since I was a kid. Ive only been playing for a year or so .I"ll have one for home, one at my moms ,and one for practice! I can't stay away from it I have the bug. Its been my goal to play this instrument . Thanks for listening to a Greenhorn. Andy
Gary Brekke

Post by Gary Brekke »

It's green horn to green horn Andy! I just jumped back in after laying off for 30 years and same as you - I've got the bug. No distractions at this point in my life either! I know what you mean about the wife thing!! :lol:
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Once you get bit by "The Bug" it's hard to find the antidote. You just have to keep buying, and buying, and......
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Rick Kornacker

the "aging" effect

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Hey Andy! Good possibility that your guitar was originally some shade of blue...which has a tendency to "morph" into another color...many times a shade of green. Incidentally, this is not really an issue with other colors, although a "natural"(clear) finish will yellow over time. This is not a bad thing, but the original color almost never changes consistantly over the entire body of the guitar. To the best of my knowlege teal was never a standard finish color for Sho-Bud, although many custom colors have been produced over the years. Among a number of other characteristics...your guitar is a piece of history, a collector's item, but most of all....unique! Regards, RK
"think MORE...play LESS"
Allan Jirik

Re: Sho Bud color question?

Post by Allan Jirik »

Andy Narzynski wrote: My wife is gonna shoot me!
Good thing my wife spends more than I do. I told her "don't say a word" when I got home from the PO with my new Stage One steel. She didn't complain, but she questioned why I didn't get a double neck like I had before (didn't want one).

However, today my Peavey Nashville 112 arrived. I'm just going to swap it with my old amp, she won't notice. Why press my luck? :D
Andy Narzynski

Sho Bud color question

Post by Andy Narzynski »

>:-) Hey Allen, let me know how you like that Nashville. I have a vegas 400 ,maybe I can do the swap thing like you did.Good luck with that new steel! I practiced all day , its hard not to many players up this way. Maybe I should move? Thanks Andy
Richard Paul

Sho bud color

Post by Richard Paul »

Andy, years ago food coloring was used, thats why they fade with time and the sun light. I've seen alot of Sho Buds fade uneven. Nice sounding guitar. Enjoy it.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

People over the years have refurbished Sho-Buds and stained them in all sorts of colors. Some of them are really beautiful. Yours may have been refinished. You need to post some pictures.
Allan Jirik

Post by Allan Jirik »

Andy, when I first started with pedals in 1971 there was NOBODY around me, and NO support. Look at what's happened 40 years later! Pedal steel is a world community- so many great players and lessons available via YouTube, websites, and such. Forum members willing to share their expertise and experience. I would have "killed" for that many years ago.

No steel players near you? Well, turn that into a plus! That means you will be gigging "out" that much sooner. Let your exuberance and your talent be your guide.

My Nashville 112 is pretty cool. I have to give a nod of thanks to my Line6 Spyder, because with steel settings it did the job in the interim. The NV112 has more punch in the lower register and overall, I'd say it's all that it is cracked up to be.

Good luck. Do not get discouraged in your quest. Just remember that whatever happens in your day, when you sit behind the steel you are creating your enjoyment and your memories.
Larry Edwards

steels

Post by Larry Edwards »

[quote="Andy Narzynski"]:?: hey andy how ya doin. thats great everybody should have a few steels. i just got a bouble 10 dekley from e-bay of course its a lefty but nice sounding guitar. but the thing is a weight monster. i"ll have to have you help me when i move it. you are a lot bigger than me? glad ya got it.
larry
I have 2 pedalmaster steels dbl 10
with 8 pedals and 5 knees.and a dbl body single neck with 3 pedals and 5 knees. I play a vegas 400 and I have a new steelking. I am a leftie.
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

Hey Andy is this the color?
Dale

Andy Narzynski

Post by Andy Narzynski »

:) Your color is close Dale, I think mine has a little more blue than yours . As soon as I can I will post a picture. Thanks for showing me very nice. Andy
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

More this color? From the old Marrs site.

Andy Narzynski

Post by Andy Narzynski »

Thats looks very close John. :)
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Andy, that was a refin done at Marrs some time ago. I just kept the pic on file cuz I really liked the color.
JB
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Andy, my old ShoBud S-12 was originally blue but after six or seven years of smoke and barroom atmosphere it was a blue green (teal) color. I kinda liked it better after it aged....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
G. Robertson

Post by G. Robertson »

Like this?