Amps reverb gets quiet

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Shaun Swanson

Amps reverb gets quiet

Post by Shaun Swanson »

I just bought a used Kustom KMA 100 to do double duty as a steel and keyboard amp.

It sounds OK. But last night the reverb was really quiet. I checked all the settings and cranked the effcts knob all the way up but it was still really quiet. Everything else (volume, EQ) worked fine.

When I turned it on today it was back to the normal.

What could cause the reverb in an amp to do this?

thanks
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Hi Shaun,
Weirdly enough, on two different Fenders I have had the reverb footswitch cause this. Pulling apart the footswitch and spraying the contacts with contact cleaner cured it.
I also wiggled the rca plugs where the switch plugs in.

Not sure if it would help on the Kustom, but it's easy and non-destructive.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Just like Paul, happens to my Twin Reverb reissue. No reverb, wipe off the pedal jack and plug it back in and its good to go for a couple months.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Shaun Swanson

Post by Shaun Swanson »

Thanks, but no pedal on this amp.

I forgot all about the problem (and this thread I started) until it happened again tonight. Oh well, guess I'll have someone look at it.

Thanks again.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

I was having a similar issue with one of my Randall amps so I kept it at home to practice with. Eventually the reverb died altogether and upon investigation I found all the wires, jacks and pots were good but there is an open driver coil at the input side of the tank. Gotta get a new one from Accutronics, not terribly expensive but a royal PITA.

Check the cables and plugs between the amp and the tank first, if the tank makes noise when you hit the amp the output is good and the trouble is on the reverb drive side.

Best of luck with this one, let us know what you find....
Dave Yustin

Reverb problem

Post by Dave Yustin »

I had a similar problem and called Peavey. They told me to check the female prongs on the plug between the reverb tank and chassis. They advised these "tubular" hollow prongs could get stretched and needed to be squeezed a bit to tighten them up. I followed their instructions and my reverb is working great.