Swelled-headedness And Cowboy Hats

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Mr. Steve Raulston,

I often enjoy conquering difficult mechanical problems that others have failed in, and left hanging by surrendering their best efforts to succeed with a solution. It's intriguing to see their smarts reload, once the work is completed. Back to the Edison quote: "I know a thousand things that won't work, and ONE that will."

Ron K.,

I admire your apparent active schedule of things to do. Life will always be less overwhelming if you dress for the occasion. Thanks

Joe M.,

Sadly, many of the beautiful churches have closed here in Pittsfield, and tables no longer suggest old west or Southern plantation place settings. Here in the Northern section of the country, FAST FOODS INC. have spoiled the cooks. I'm currently preparing an agenda for a series of activities in music, new boots, and a new hat - size seven and 1/3,. Boots size - ten and 1/2", will require disbursements, hopefully at discount prices. :roll:
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 12 Mar 2010 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

oh geez...now this is creepy!

bill and i wear the same size hat and boots.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Anyone can look good in a hat.. :lol: well almost ;-)
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Chris I.,

Most shoemakers can do wonders! I know of one such person. It's amazing what can be done with an old boot if you have the tools. Most boots that I've seen that people donate while clearing out their closets, usually run just under or over 10.5 in sizes. I knew a millionairess who wore clothes from donated clothing stores. They, who have the means, seem to be first in line when brand name miscellaneous goods are received by those agencies.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

IF IT"S GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM It's good enough for me..
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Joe,

Just the other day, a fellow musician mentioned that you always had an eye for the better things in life. I can't imagine who arranged to have such a perfect picture taken. It's not possible to find a bevy of cowgirls, posing as you see in the above picture. It's too perfect! Who knows the rest of the story?
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 13 Mar 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I have worn a cowboy hat and boots, when I have played and performed for years. It did not in any way shape or form inflate my ego one bit. There was one person in my life who has passed,my dad. He loved Country Music. He would always tell me, "Don't quit you day job". Several years after he had gone, I asked my mother one day, just what he meant by that. She told me, it was his way of keeping me down to earth with people.God I miss them both.They encouraged me to keep playing and at the same time, how to act with others. I have played with people with ultra egos, I didn't like it. I have gotten several compliments on my playing, and when I have been given them I always return them by saying thank you,I appreciate it. So whether one wears a cowboy and boots or not, Some people do tend to let the old cranium swell. I also learned in that one's pride goes before the fall.My wife loves to hear me play, sometimes she goes with me, when I play a gig. I love it when she comes because she also helps keep my ego in check and keeps me focused on the job at hand.
Tommy
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Tommy,

It's good to hear that you've carried on with your dad's wishes. I've written articles about musicians who out of necessity, need the "Day job" to survive. The issue is still up in the air, unresolved. Many conditions would make it possible to devote full time to music-oriented lifestyles. I can understand that it would be extremely difficult to appear as a class act family man while trying to win recognition out on the road. If anyone can explain in detail how to manage a well organized plan, that would include not neglecting family or music, it would be very interesting to be made aware of. Such a plan in a report would attract much interest.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 13 Mar 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Sadly, enduring little jabs and barbs delivered by persons with varying degrees of musical abilities, becomes part of an interspersed social enigma. It isn't surprising when you take into account the bad influences witnessed through television, radio broadcasting, magazines, and others by word of mouth. I'm thinking that cowboy boots and hats reflect the moods of decent folks, particularly those moods that depict no nonsense lifestyles.
Bill Holt

Post by Bill Holt »

Joe Casey wrote:IF IT"S GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM It's good enough for me..
Mmm... Hats, beer, and milk. Bass player's dream. :whoa:
I'm a Bob Moore Junkie!!!
Bill Holt

Post by Bill Holt »

Bill Hankey wrote:D. Mudgett

No Dave, I don't agree! You haven't scratched the surface pertaining to relevancies associated with this thread. You the English professor, would be thought of, more than I, as a person with executive abilities; including those that could easily dispose of reasonable views made public by others. Sorting out your words, one by one, I tripped over what I'm thinking is a possible fallacy; one commonly found in fictional statements made, whether intentional or through some inadvertent misconception. Where did you find the courage and gall to commit to saying that boots and music are unrelated? I couldn't buy into that abstraction. What ever happened to the popular trite expression: "Clothes make the person"? It must have gone out with Louis Antoine Godey's fashions and the Gibson girl's beautiful array of fashionable gowns. You are an English expert. Your expertise has nothing in common with the reality of exhilerating western wear, and its association with the combined interests of each colorful presentation. :o
For your consideration, Bill...

For the musician, the expression of music can satisfy on many levels. Music is a method of communication from the player to the listener. Musicians often feel compelled to sing (or pick) from their soapbox rather than shout. Some musicians play music for art's sake, and that every note is art. I think that is a bunch of happy horse$#!+ when presented as an absolute. It's like the high school band director's egocentric view of himself and music that keeps him from accepting the reality that the half-time show at a football game is merely void-filling entertainment. In and of itself, the band wouldn't draw the same crowd, but the more entertaining a show is, the more the crowd will stay and watch/listen.

Therein lies a major part of the reason people dress a certain way on stage - Entertainment. That's why it is called the entertainment business. Hey, if we're sitting around picking together, you'll catch me wearing shorts and a tshirt. I mean, really... who the hell wants to wear our getup all the time?

Sure, we have that compelling need to play, express ourselves, and find that synergy with each other, but we also like what we do to bring joy to people. Playing and seeing a sea of hats dance by with smiles on every face... that is tremendously satisfying. And it is very humbling. When the music is truly synergistic, that makes everything off the chart. If we played the best we ever played, but no one showed or danced, that would be a let-down. The exchange of energy and emotion between the performer(s) and the audience cannot be denied. It is palpable. When you communicate with someone, and they love your message or your message brings them joy, and how you deliver that message influences the message, then you are not only making music for art's sake and to fulfill the need to express yourself, you are also entertaining. It adds to the experience, not detract, although it is not requisite.

Give 'em hats and boots and 3 piece suits.
Give 'em all we've got.
We'll play our hearts out
Until they shout
Our regalia and music is hot.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

A Bass Players Dream

Bill Holt

Post by Bill Holt »

Stuart Legg wrote:A Bass Players Dream

Thanks for the offer, but I don't date girls from Arkansas. :mrgreen:
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

This is a bass players dream Bookends in a band. ;-) :lol:
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Bill Holt wrote:For your consideration, Bill...
Without a doubt (just my thought, I admit) this is what it's about. When I was playing to buy the groceries I had a few opportunities offered to me to move 'up' the ladder. But what does 'up' mean? I was playing in a dance band. It is easy to think that playing 'sit down shows' might be a move up. I didn't agree.
I don't want to bring anyone down - different strokes for different folks. But, for me, seeing those people all moving around the floor to the music that I had a hand in producing was as good as it gets.
Later, for whatever reason, I did give in and started doing just sessions. Talk about cloth eared clowns who thought they were the next Sinatra!!! Anyone who could afford a studio band for half a day was suddenly in charge. That was hell. Suddenly I discovered that the expression 'music BUSINESS' was a literal truth. That experience went a long way towards easing my way out of playing for a living.
I still yearn for the days of the dance band though. Hats, boots, smiling happy people - can't beat it. (can't find a smiley for 'wistful')

Thanks for a great post Bill, you put your finger right on it.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Allan M.,

Individual preferences range in the thousands in terms of how musicians wish to assign their personal lifestyles to what amounts to their way of thinking. It has nothing to do with the most advantageous of the thousands of other choices waiting to be made. Everything in life awaits on something or somebody. The core of humanity, so delicate, so restrained, hardly, if ever, pulling the right strings to much bigger and better lifestyles. Typically and symbolically through random searches for a better road to happiness, and fulfillment of musical ambitions, the hands that reach out, find their rewards.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ohhh...the vastness of it all....

...so overwhelming...
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Chris I.,

Never without a critical repartee, your bombastic meanderings, fortunately, have a short journey before reaching their intended target. Once having been identified, the darts fall harmlessly, short of their mark.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

I have it! I have solved the mystery of the universe. Mr. H's day job!
You know these messages you get inside fortune cookies?....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bill Hankey said:
Everything in life awaits on something or somebody.
Indeed! I've been waiting for what seems like weeks for this thread to self-destruct. Actually, hoping, not waiting. :roll:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

I can only promise that I'll make a request to b0b to close this thread in bold letters, as you will see, when it reaches a 5 numeral display. Now shut the H--l up with your diabolical brain. Cool it down! Save something for your aged 90's. See how very easy it is to get what YOU want in life, and to h--l with the rest? :x
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Congrats Barry, you finally pissed him off.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.