Swelled-headedness And Cowboy Hats

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

"I can't beleave it wasn't closed after the first
page like a couple of others have been, that were not nearly as controversal." Bill D.

Bill there may be a subliminal rationale why it's not been closed. :D :D

Somebody in this thread is getting his butt kicked pretty badly and maybe the design is to let it happen.

Having said that, credit where credit is due--Bill H. can play steel guitar and further credit has to be given for his contributions to the jams he hosted years ago. Other than that, a bubble must have burst in his think tank to cause these latest meanderings into teaching us the english language to which I've never been prone to speak or write correctly anyway. Worst subject I ever had in school. I majored in recess and was a straight A student in that subject.

Besides Bill look at his last post, we're making headway--he's now talking steel guitar tunings. Maybe we'll get some of his vast knowledge handed down. :roll: :roll:

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Fred,

The more I put together pieces to the Fred Puzzle, now there's an idea - photos of personages such as you, bearded, amply knowledgeable in music, writing, and all the better things in life, cut into a 500 piece puzzle. Many of the steel guitarists will be searching for things to do in later years. Really! What an idea! Emmons, Chalker, Charleton, Wallace, Day, Green, White, Black, Mooney, Remington, Evans, Franklin, Newman, Seymour, Myrick, Rugg, Jernigan, -and all of the speed pickers included - Alvino Rey and Jerry Byrd would become puzzle favorites, I'm sure. Fred, I have no bad feelings about how other players live their lives. I can't imagine ever becoming that type of individual.
Bill Holt

Post by Bill Holt »

Don Poland wrote:
Bill Holt wrote:...........
It is typical of northerners, particularly those from the northeast to belittle anyone not like themselves. This is especially true when they talk about people from the south, southwest, the west, and Texas (yes, there is a distinction)...........
This is ABSOLUTELY nothing more than your opinion, Please don't judge all of us north easterners by a select few. It is no more fair than one of those select few judging those that wear cowboy hats. :whoa:

You may find it hard to believe, but there are a LOT of us folks from the North East, that have absolutely NO PROBLEM with folks from the south...Texas or otherwise!!!!!
Sorry, Don. I thought this was a thread in which broad, sweeping generalizations were allowed and encouraged. :mrgreen:

I don't have a problem with northerners unless, of course, they fit the stereotype. And even then I don't worry about it. Life's too short. And sometimes I'm an @sshole simply to prove a point or demonstrate the ridiculousness of others. I'm pretty ridiculous to start with, so it ain't that far a stretch. ;-)
Last edited by Bill Holt on 10 Mar 2010 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Bob Moore Junkie!!!
Bill Holt

Post by Bill Holt »

Steve Norman wrote:Bill if you ever make lures for Bass I want a subscription.
I'd like a subscription. For the record, these kinds of Bass lures work really well:

Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

If you people keep this up, I'll write something in Italian and b0b will close this topic.Joe
Bill Holt

Post by Bill Holt »

Diese als Spass als wie gehen in schweinscheisse.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Sensitivity and impulsive changes of mood have been indicated. Since I've recognized the obvious sources, I can only hope that there is a discontinuance of distorting facts.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 10 Mar 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

L'idiota che ha iniziato questo thread dovrebbero essere costretti a fornire i campioni del suo modo di suonare

Ciao Bella

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

OK,a break from hats and name calling and back to steel guitar.
You asked if I had a 1/2 raise on my 1st string. It is an excellent choice but I don't have it or even a half stop. Sometimes I half pedal it, but thats a little tricky. I only have 5 knee levers and I have chosen what I feel and want to play. Lowering the Es on the RKL goes back to my permanent Sho-Bud days and I still like it there. Yes, we play lots of shuffles along with western swing. We play and record songs from Price,Bush,Tillis,McCall,Faron clear into Bob Wills,Red Stegal,AATW,Como,and even Nat King Cole. You will not hear us do anything new,rock,or line dances. We see it the same as not hearing a waltz or shuffle at a rock concert.
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Roger,

I like a lot of the changes on your copedent. most of what you have I also use. My first real D10 was a permanent as well with the E lowers on the RKL. Sorta wished I had stayed with that as so many have discussed how easy it is then to move the 4 or 8 string from +1 to -1 in a smooth way, but I've been using the typical Emmons left knee setup for far too long now to change. Also, I have the RKL with the raises on strings 1 and 2 and a full step lower on the 6 that uses a split with the B pedal to get the G. Somehow on my LLIII I am able to get a not true, but very effective, half stop on the 1 string to get that G (which was always on all my guitars until this one) It's useful to be able to roll into a pedaled position on strings 4 and 5 and have that string 1 raise to get a nice dom 7th.

Love listening to your band and congratulations on the induction. I just recently started playing with a 9 piece Western Swing band here in the bay area (sorta like The Lost Weekend Band; wished I played like Bobby!!) with twin fiddles and a sax/clarinet player, piano, and all the other usual suspects. Way over my head but way fun. Working on Perdido this morning.

SS
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

....as kyle, the one-armed bass player, pulled him from the poison snow-bank, he said, 'bill, you've got to stop trusting that darn guitar player. you know he uses a distortion pedal!'
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Roger,

Thanks for filling me in on your tunings. I was curious about that 2nd string 1/2 step raise. I put that change on Jimmy Roule's E9th tuning. For those of you who haven't heard him play The O.B.S., there's a whole new experience waiting up for you. I have a copy of Jimmy playing the fast instrumental on his 9th tuning stashed away upstairs. He's truly unbelievable! FWIW
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Upstairs in the attic? :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Stu, I also have a CD of him playing the instrumental. Since you are so appreciative, I see no need to present it at this time.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Stu

Reading Bill's sentence, "stashed away upstairs" seems to be the title of the fast instrumental. Unless Bill has made one of his usual grammatical errors, of course.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I "play" the Mooney/Emmons and Day/Green setups
Bill, all kidding aside, I'm very curious about how you play these setups. Is it one at a time on different steels, or all at once?
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

Steve,
1st 10 string? Would that be the Charlton Permenant Sho-bud you bought from me in Columbus,Oh when you were working with Barbi Benton?

Thanks for the compliments on the band. We're going to be in Sacramento and San Diego this year with Floyd Domino in Sacramento on keyboard.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Mr. Don,Thanks for that. I am southern born and raised,but I have [GREAT] FRIENDS from all over. One of my favorite bands I ever played in was a great drummer from NYC,keyboards from Pa,tenor horn from Detroit,bass from RI,also worked with all races,white,black,brown and asian.We are ALL Americians,North,South,East and West. I cried like a baby when 911 happened because my fellow Americans were suffering. There are ***holes from NYC to Dothan Alabama that will take cheap shots at each only because of where they are FROM. THAT'S not right. The worst insult I ever had since I have been on this forum was a couple of years ago,RAP music came up,I said I did,'t like it. A member said I was a racist,white southern,steel guitar player. And this member does'nt EVEN KNOW me. I just wish this kind of crap did'nt go on. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Duncan,

Why choose to be difficult. If you were able to erase history, (I know, only one can do that) by removing the big 4 contributers to the E9th tuning, where would we be at? You never would have heard J. Hughey play "Lost In The Feeling" or "Look At Us" the way he did. Buddy's energies would have been heavily involved in some other tuning; for sure. Dress apparel would have stagnated to lesser degrees. Hats and boots would be hit and miss. I feel very strongly that Jerry B. kept much to himself, his true feelings about the E9th tuning. His remarkable playing style was never matched over 50 years ago. How very sad to hear of his struggle to remain musical. Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant in their prime could mix it up with the very best. There is much to be learned about how musicians of renown concerned themselves with dressing codes. If you check how a true master (Chet Atkins) presented himself to the public, it's quite obvious he excluded the cowboy boots and accompanying hat to match. Duncan, help me to get more involved in why some do and some refrain. (Boots and hats; that is to say.)
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I appreciate the question that I believe I can answer, Bill. I wear my cowboy boots when I feel like it, even though I can't play the pedal steel while wearing them. I wear a hat when my head is cold, and a cowboy hat, or similar wide brimmed hat, when there is a lot of sun, or when it looks like it might rain.
Have a beautiful night in Massachusetts.
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Roger, that would be the one!!!!

Man I wished I had never traded that one away to Scotty (for a 68 Emmons.....which I later traded as well)

Ah, all the ones that got away huh?

I was listening to a couple of Billys you tube clips. Take the A Train.....great tone, Roger.

I'll be trying to make it out to Sacramento to hear you guys and say hi. That was 36 years ago right? My how time flys.

My best to you.

SS
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I haven't been following this. Has this been 10 pages of discussion about hats? Did I, somehow, end up on the wrong Forum?
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

No, Lee. You've just entered the "Hankey Zone"!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Lee,

I only real problem with a topic of this nature, is not how you reacted to it, but rather how the writer may invariably step on toes of people who have lived a good life. They may decide to find more uses for those boots then the usual zealous display of colorful footwear. :)
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

:?
Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 10 Mar 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.