Swelled-headedness And Cowboy Hats

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

MR. Bill Does Hound Dog Taylor play SLOWLY [FASTER]? How do you do it. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Charles,

Hound Dog Taylor never played country music. He played cheap guitars imported from Japan. He played slide guitar. He had 6 fingers on his left hand. He was born in in the year of 1915, and passed in the 70's. I doubt if he ever in his lifetime heard Webb Pierce sing "SLOWLY". I could be mistaken.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Hey, Bill can use the Google machine!

Bill, not to be contrary, but Hound Dog Taylor would include some Ernest Tubb songs in his act and also sang Webb Pierce's "There Stands the Glass."
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Mike Schwartzman

Post by Mike Schwartzman »

Hey Bama Charlie: I noticed that it says Animal Rights Activist in your signature.

I have a 5 yr. old cocker spaniel who came from the animal rescue center here. His name is Cooper. He's my best friend. I think he can understand this thread better than me. So may the Good Lord bless you all, and I love the photos and the hats and boots, but I now must say farewell to this thread before I have to check into "The Institute For The Extremely Nervous". ;-)

I can take my PSG with me, but you're not allowed to have the strings. :lol:
Emmons Push Pull, BMI, Session 400, Home of the Slimcaster Tele.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

There is nothing like a custom fitted pair of boots made in a one man shop with every cut and stitch and wooden peg handled by the man who measured your feet, shaped your personal lasts (foot patterns or molds the boots are built around) and knows how to fit a stirrup as well a a sidewalk. And, is not afraid of color.

Yes, Chris, I agree. I used to wear Paul Bond hand made boots back in the day. Charlie Tweddle hats, too, but that might have been before your time.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

I'm really concerned about the blood flowing through your carotid arteries. A technician warned me about tie wearers closing off their blood supply to the brain. I hope that helmet isn't pressing against those arteries in each side of your neck. FWIW
Murnel Babineaux

Post by Murnel Babineaux »

Hankey,

The comment you just made about Barry's carotid arteries are just absolutely strange, to say the least.

The carotid statement you made cannot be summed up in any context you think would be 'fitting'!

Wouldn't it be more fitting to make a comment about what's wrong with your own brain?

How's that for being "on topic".

Murnel
Rittenberry D10 E9/C6 Session 400
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

We go from dissing cowboy hats and boots to asphalt pavement to playing 6th and 9th chords where there are no sixth and ninth chords to dissing people avatars.

I am beginning to believe that billy is less bi polar and more schizophrenic.

You need to see a medical professional billy. If not for your sake, then do it for your family.

SS
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Stephen,

By the way you talk, I'd guess you are a close match to those morons who go flying past me over in New York State. It's bad enough dodging potholes without having to share traveling space with people who are rushing to go nowhere. I'm sorry I fired back at one of your pitiful forum friends. Tell your buddies to knock it off, or I'll go out and slam the door.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

2-0 for the 'gers tonight. That'll do for me.

Arch.
Larry Baker

just plain???

Post by Larry Baker »

I for one will not read any more topics started by this man. It is just a waste of Forum space, and I don't have the time to read all the negative and self important B.S. here. As for hats and boots, I am a nobody player, but I wear Stetson hats and $300.
boots because I like to, and no one but me has to like it. I only read just a few of the responses here, but that was enough. As for Scotty Henderson, there isn't a better player out there, regardless of where he is on the ladder, but in my book, He is way up high on the rungs. Larry B.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

Joe,

I've got one similar that I wear when I go out to fly my radio control aircraft. Most of the time when I'm flying my real one I wear a baseball cap. And get this, I don't even play baseball. LOL
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Tell your buddies to knock it off, or I'll go out and slam the door.
Promises promises
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Roger,

Hang in there with me, although I wouldn't be surprised if you found the nasty behavior of some members much too degrading to a worthy opportunity to be civil. I find their behavior to be so detestable, that I should have taken the advice of several people who advised me to ignore their posts. I'm getting a double dose of the ugly side of humanity. I sat down and enjoyed a small glass of wine. I feel better now that I've had the wine.
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

Bill here's my E9th tuning that you ask for. It shows RKR lowering the 10th string. My guitar does not have that because it is a D10 and that lever pulls the 4th string on the C6th neck. If I were playing a single 10 I would have the 10th lower on it. 5 pulls is too many.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Roger,

Thanks loads for your setup. Absolutely, and positively assures my faith in a man of his word. Please excuse my staging a battlefield with those who become more vicious with each response.

Your setup looks great at first glance. I'll enjoy looking it over in the morning. It's very neighborly of you. My first impression has left me with some good thoughts.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

wow....it took us to page 9 to become pitiful morons........
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

5144 Hankey Posts and And Still Nothing Understandable
Charles Davidson

AND STILL NO POSTING OF HIS WESTERN SWING PLAYING.COME ON MR. BILL DON'T BE SHY,JUST GET YOU A STETSON AND SHOW THESE COWBOYS HOW IT'S DONE. JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU OUT. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Thanks Larry.
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Why does a person want to be disliked.
Why does a man of apperant intellegence
want to talk down to his fellow man.
Why does a person discredit those who
have accomplished more or have mastered
a instrument you wish you could.
The answer is simple,INSECURITY. :idea:
This is the stupidist thread I have ever seen.
I can't beleave it wasn't closed after the first
page like a couple of others have been, that were not nearly as controversal.
And Ray C why didn't I make your list. :lol:
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

Bill if you ever make lures for Bass I want a subscription. Your a master fisherman!
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Charles Davidson

Mr Bill,Got to sign off now even though I enjoy your babbling in an incoherently and meaninglessly repetitious manner with unintelligible chatter.I have something MUCH MORE important to do now. THOMAS KATT just informed me it's time for his late night snack. Unlike you I can understand him purrrrrfetly. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Roger E.,

I'm curious about your E9th setup. I "play" the Mooney/Emmons and Day/Green setups. Buddy, unquestionably credited with the Ab or G# (same notes) placed in the 3rd string position. Mooney had been training on moving string positions at the time, according to reliable sources. Buddy explained that he personally, was searching for a tuning that would in effect compliment the voice of Ray Price. Without double checking, I pondered your E's lowered by the right knee. I like that change to be on the left knee. Of course, my levers swing like Jimmy's did - lowers calibrated to effect an Eb note by swinging to the left. I'm surmising that your use of the chromatic second string is extensive. That raise from Eb to E, is an option for young hearts. I can see that it's in place on your steel. Do you find many reasons to include IT in your setup? The E-F changes fully accredited to Mr. Lloyd Green, may have been heard for the first time in Tammy's big hit - DIVORCE. That change has allowed steel guitarists to reach for the stars. When combined with the (A) pedal, hundreds of options open up in combination with Buddy's 1st and 2nd chromatics tuning. I'm under the impression that those aforementioned steel guitarists, namely Emmons, Day, Green, and last, but not least Mooney, have been directly involved in tunings, and knee levers that grow with increased popularity with each passing year. Paul Franklin and Randy Beavers have done wonders with the Chromatic tuning. Paul teased hundreds of players by concentrating on full tone raises, plus 5th and 6th string full tone lowers. Paul's 1st string full tone raise is seen in your 1st string lever arrangement. Your 5th and 10th 1/2 tone lowers are very handy! I don't see a notation for the 1st string F#-G raise on your copedant. It doesn't show on the 1st and 7th raises. Do you get into the Ray Price favorites? Does your band ever play "Walk Me To The Door? That song presents an opportunity to cruise about on the fretboard, and lay down some impressive intuitive (even chancy)
melody lines, using the 9th tuning. Thanks again for the diagrammed illustrated tuning, and calling attention to the influences involved by properly presenting oneself to country music audiences.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 10 Mar 2010 6:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

Bill Holt wrote:...........
It is typical of northerners, particularly those from the northeast to belittle anyone not like themselves. This is especially true when they talk about people from the south, southwest, the west, and Texas (yes, there is a distinction)...........
This is ABSOLUTELY nothing more than your opinion, Please don't judge all of us north easterners by a select few. It is no more fair than one of those select few judging those that wear cowboy hats. :whoa:

You may find it hard to believe, but there are a LOT of us folks from the North East, that have absolutely NO PROBLEM with folks from the south...Texas or otherwise!!!!!
Last edited by Don Poland on 10 Mar 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.