AKAI pro MG614 (added pic)

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Allan Munro

AKAI pro MG614 (added pic)

Post by Allan Munro »

This is an older type mixing recording setup. Yes, it uses tapes in the recorder.
The unit is in good condition and all parts work. It is perfectly usable as a small mixer if required. It does supply phantom power.
As I said above, the unit is in used but good condition. It works well and I bought it because (think what you will :oops:) I actually prefer the sound of tape 'as it used to be'...

The value of the thing, as close as I can find out, (recent sale on eBay) is around $300 but I don't want to get into 'to and fro' discussions about it so I will accept an offer of close to that + shipping at cost if anyone is interested.
Located in Pennsylvania.
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Allan, I'm curious, where does the tape go?
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

The dark colored panel on the right includes all the tape controls and the mechanism, tape channel faders, speed trim etc...

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

In the right hands, these are great sounding machines. Do you have tapes you're selling too, Allan? I suspect those may be getting hard to find - I started reusing mine for that reason.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Chris Bauer wrote:In the right hands, these are great sounding machines. Do you have tapes you're selling too, Allan? I suspect those may be getting hard to find - I started reusing mine for that reason.
You worried me there for a moment Chris so I checked with various suppliers. There is no shortage of media now and for the future. The tapes will continue to be made. They are still widely used in data recorders and for applications like this. I will include the small stock I have with the machine. I think 3 or 4 unopened and one or two used but perfectly re-usable.
You are right about the thing being great sounding - they were built for small studios doing things like radio drama and small music ensembles where they couldn't justify tying up a 12 or 24 track studio for the purpose so the quality is definitely there.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

Hi Allan - Great to know. (And I didn't mean to cause a scare. My apologies if if my comment had that effect!) I just realized that this one probably uses standard cassettes. (Is that right?)I was thinking of the ones, like mine, that use the beta-like video cassettes. I'm curious which type this uses. Thanks!
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I used to have the MG1214. It was a great machine.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Chris Bauer wrote:Hi Allan - Great to know. (And I didn't mean to cause a scare. My apologies if if my comment had that effect!) I just realized that this one probably uses standard cassettes. (Is that right?)I was thinking of the ones, like mine, that use the beta-like video cassettes. I'm curious which type this uses. Thanks!
It uses C60 Cassettes Chris. That is the recommended media. Longer ones are made from thinner material and can stretch. C30 are available too and would be fine. Bias setting for different type of cassettes is automatic. I separation is amazing.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Mike Neer wrote:I used to have the MG1214. It was a great machine.
That is the 12 channel mixer right? This is the 6 channel one.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Nudge up...
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Larz May

Post by Larz May »

How many tracks of recording simultaneously does this unit do...Im thinking C60 each tape has approx. 30 minutes depending on speed of recording...is it variable speed??

Thanks
Larz
Korg Trinity-76/Alesis 8.2-88
Fernandes Custom Tele's
Takamine LTD Cutaway
Roscoe Custom 6 Bass
PODXTLive/POD2.0
LoneStar SD-10 Keyless
Goodrich VP/6A SuperSustainer
Peterson iStrobe
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Hello Larz,
The unit has a 6 channel mixer (2 are 'XLR') and can record a total of four tracks without bouncing. It can record any number of tracks from 1 to all 4 at the same time. Any combination of the six inputs can be assigned to any track with full control of every aspect of the sound separate for each channel.
It has two speeds marked as 'High' and 'Low'. In addition to that it has a swing to either side of normal with a tuning speed change. Are you familiar with this function? Lets say you record a guitar on track one for example. When you go to add the piano on track two you discover that the guitar had been a tiny bit flat. This is not a disaster because you can adjust the speed to make the playback match the piano and then go ahead and record the piano track as normal.
This thing has a LOT of knobs! :lol: Perhaps more pics are called for.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.