Nashville 112 Settings?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeshua Lehman

Nashville 112 Settings?

Post by Jeshua Lehman »

I recently bought a Nashville 112 and along with it came basic E9, C6 and lap steel settings, but my curiosity has got the best of me and I was wondering what other players are using for their settings. If you are willing to share let me know what your settings are and any other applicable information (e.i. tuning, pick-ups, etc).
Thanks,
Lehman, Jeshua J.
Ray McCarthy

Post by Ray McCarthy »

I find that the settings I keep coming back to, after fooling around with the knobs, to be very close to the examples in the manual.
Low: anywhere from 3 to 10, depending on the amp's placement.
Mid: -6
Shift: 800
High: 0-+3
Pres: 0-+3 (these depend on where I'm playing and the mood my ears are in)
The pre-gain and master gain are usually at 4 and 6 respectively for practise, higher for gigs.
I don't use the internal reverb. I use a Holy Grail Nano for reverb.

Derby SD-10, TruTone.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Jeshua,
I have been using NV112's since before they were released (I had a proto-type)
If I play with just the amp, no outboard effects,
here's how I set my amp:

Pre 4
Bass +3
Mid -10 (all the way off)
Shift About 700
Treble +3
Presense -8 to -10
Reverb 5
Post gain: Wide open

Bill Ferguson
Last edited by Bill Ferguson on 11 Mar 2010 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

This is what Buddy was using on his 112...

<center>Image
Presence is a little hard to see. It's at almost 9.</center>
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Allan Jirik

Post by Allan Jirik »

Thanks for sharing, guys. After reading the favorable comments on the 112 I have one on order. These settings will be a great help to get me started.

Just called my local GC... the scheduled date for receipt in their warehouse is 3/22, so I don't expect to receive my amp until the 1st of April or so.
James Martin (U.K.)

112 settings?

Post by James Martin (U.K.) »

I always play my 112 without effects - apart from the on board spring reverb which I find just right. And like everyone else I've tried every combination of settings published here on the site and never been fully happy with the end result - that is, until Bill Ferguson put his settings here the other day. Bill they are excellent, just what I've been looking for , brilliant sound. I never thought to kill the presence and mid to that extreme, but, it works great. Try Bill's settings everyone you won't be disappointed. Thanks again, made my day.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

James, you are welcome.

Those are the settings that work for me. I'm sure they will not work for everyone, but that's why they put those knobs on there. hehe

Take care,
Bill
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Bill,
Is #3 on the treble a + or - ?
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Well Roger, you caught me.

I guess the # was a double plus! hehe

Actually I made the correction, it is +3.

Love ya pal,
Bill
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

I couldn't remember! Thanks for the help getting set the other week.
Donnie Southers

nashville 112

Post by Donnie Southers »

Bill , I used your suggested settings earlier this week and they very nice... little tweaking needed I thinks mainly because of my dd-3
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

These sound the best with my Derby D10

Pre 5.5
Bass +9
Mid -6
Shift 300
Treble -2
Presense -2
Reverb 0
Post gain: 5.5
Norbert Dengler

Post by Norbert Dengler »

Jeshua,
I have been using NV112's since before they were released (I had a proto-type)
If I play with just the amp, no outboard effects,
here's how I set my amp:

Pre 4
Bass +3
Shift About 700
Treble +3
Presense -8 to -10
Reverb 5
Post gain: Wide open

Bill Ferguson

What Bill says, turning the m
ids totally off finally brought the sound I was looking for!
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

A very important point to consider:

Amplifier "guide" settings are not meant to be used exactly as published. They will....MUST....change depending on where you're playing.

Examples - they will rarely be suitable for a low-volume home "bedroom playing" situation; when playing out those settings will need to change significantly if you are on a raised stage in a huge hall, if you're mic'd (because of possible clashes with board settings); in venues like churches with high, reflective ceilings; oddly-shaped rooms and so on. Your pick attack also has a huge affect on the usefulness of "guide settings".

I've worked with many players on their personal sound and found many guide settings to be unusable, even as starting points.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Mark Hepler

Post by Mark Hepler »

Jim Sliff wrote:Amplifier "guide" settings are not meant to be used exactly as published. They will....MUST....change depending on where you're playing.
Words of wisdom, but you should find a baseline to work from.

You can see a dozen top players’ settings posted on the Web . . . then analyze their sound and gear and relate it to what you want to hear.

Key points:

If you’re used to guitar amps, remember that, unlike tube/guitar amps, the Peavey lacks an automatic midrange notch. You have to cut the mids yourself—maybe drastically.

Think in subtractive terms; if you cut one frequency, you, in effect, boost the others.

If you cut lots of high mids, you will lose bite and overtones. It may be better to let some sneak through, and reduce them by cutting an adjacent, slightly lower frequency more deeply.

Okay, it’s hell—and can take months to perfect—but I promise you that Nashville 112 is the best affordable steel amp ever made :)
Mark Hepler

Post by Mark Hepler »

Bill Ferguson wrote: Here's how I set my amp:

Pre 4
Bass +3
Shift About 700
Treble +3
Presense -8 to -10
Bill Ferguson
Ferguson's 700HZ mid-shift frequency is below most players' 800HZ preference, but he tamps down 800 slightly, too, with his steep cut. The shift knob effects a wide swath of frequencies on both sides of its numerical setting.

That's what I mean by letting some high mids bleed through.