Swelled-headedness And Cowboy Hats

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mitch Ellis

Re: Doggies????

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Bo Legg wrote:I get it, I just like that western look and want to wear a damn big hat. I'm not a cowhand, so sue me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[/quote] Even a flat topper who buckles on the outside knows that.[/quote]

Chris,
Help me with this one. :D
Mitch
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

Bill, If the Great Monster Player Scotty Henderson of Lake of the Ozarks Missouri, was to critique my steel guitar skills I would take it to the Bank hands down!! :D As Scotty Asked are you sure you can play that thing you are setting behind??
I have heared Scotty play his new G-2 Mullen in Branson last summer totally AWESOME!! 8)
Oh yes Scotty I sure enjoy your CD (The Message) and the wonderful Backing Track.
Bill , do you have any backing tracks out?
LOVE MY COWBOY HAT!
From the Heart of Cattle Country
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Ward Skinner

Post by Ward Skinner »

This will fulfill one of my goals, I can now say that my obituary, in part, will read 'he once replied to a Bill Hankey thread on the Steel Guitar Forum'. Yeah!

I only know a general idea of this thread, but it does have something to do concerning cowboy hats from a guy from Maine.

I have a couple of pictures taken a few years ago in Brenham, TX at the Washington Country Fairgrounds. A really nice facility, it has several buildings where cattle and rodeo events are held. We were active in Jack Russell Terrier trials a few years ago, these pics were from a terrier trial there and it was during racing. In the next building was a cutting horse competition, several cowboys came over and had a great time wagering on the races.

This pic is typical from this part of the country. No pretenses, just good people. This has nothing to do do with steel, other than they probably don't play it but do love it. My steel contribution to this thread.

Don't give Fred a hard time, I don't know him, but then I probably really do. Just don't ask him big his ranch is. Go Cowboys!

Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I agree with Herb and a couple of others about the dress. The REAL artist that are ledgends in this business with their Stetsons and Nudie suits KNEW it's SHOW business.They had CLASS,RESPECT for themselves AND their fans [that's what makes Marty speical today] A lot of [artist ???] today have NONE of that. There is nothing more stupid looking than a band on stage with ball caps on backward,torn jeans,tanks,etc,have no self respect nor for the people that pay to see them,I don't respect them [I'm sure they don't give a damn] That's the problem.And I sure don't give a DAMN what they think about me. On Sat afternoon when I'm on the river cat fishing in my muddy overalls I look like a river rat,BUT Sat Night when I step on stage I look like a pro musician that takes PRIDE in how I present myself.Because I'm thankful just to be there doing what I LOVE to do. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I would love to wear a cowboy hat again but with my sinuses they way they are nowdays I get a headache.
Alan Harrison

Charles Said It!

Post by Alan Harrison »

Exactly what Charles Davidson Said.....
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

Thanks Pat...I am glad you are getting some use out of the plastic!!!
Look at all them hats!!! (probably about $1,500.00 worth of hats. Real ones ain't cheap!!!)
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Ward S.,

Thanks for the interesting pictures. One that's depicting those rugged paunchy horsemen. It becomes fascinating to be made aware of a special breed of tough horse experts. I would refrain from finding too much fault with their choosings. I mean to say, the animals take the brunt of getting rammed in the ribs with spurs designed to fit those boots. Those hats are downsized for slapping rumps, and warding off the deadly sunstrokes. I've read articles where the writer insists that "cowboy" boots are the best footwear; offering certain advantages for playing the pedal steel guitar. It's the notion that the elevated heel changes the angle of the ankle. There isn't a stitch of common sense in that claim. The exception would of course be paying up to $500.00 to a maker of fine footwear. An expert steel guitarist who became a friend, was the proud owner of a pair of hand crafted boots from Mexico. They were made from soft leather. Plain and simple, boots are a nuisance. The ideal method may very well be to carry special footwear to the gig. Make the change in an area off stage. I was devastated when sneakers became the most popular choice in footwear. The shoddy imports represent a misrepresentation of professionalism. Sneakers detract immensely from the
professional stage appearances of steel guitar "greats". To be more explicit, ropin' dogies requires a fraction of the skill involved in becoming a first rate steel guitarist. Sadly, one of the identifying features of the average steel guitarist is the choice of sneakers and faded jeans.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 6 Mar 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

Well we have gone from head gear to to trousers to footwear,what's next?Underwear? :lol:
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

That there Bill! Don't he talk good!?!?!

See avatar above and to the left- the only cowboy hat I've worn in 30 years!

Bill is right, it was to signal "country" for an album cover...
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

If you don't like _______, then don't _________.
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

Mr. Hankey, I disagree with you on the footwear part. I've been wearing moccosins for years. I get a better feel of the pedals. I carry them in my gig bag and don them before and remove them after a gig.

Boots, I tried but never could get used to them. I know several excellent players that do wear them. Doesn't it come down to players personal preferance (besides, most of the time nobody can see my feet anyway - except for my avatar :oops: )?

Geo
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

there is one thing consistent about billy.....

when he wants your opinion, HE will give it to you.

Ego......as big as any Stetson

Condescending.....you betcha, no one does condescending like hankey, a master at the style.

I played with JD Maness last weekend. He was wearing, OMG, wait for it, here it comes, wait now wait.....

SNEAKERS AND JEANS!!

Man did his playing suck too cause of what he was wearing.....billy is so correct, he was as medicocre as most of my students. Average, just average. I just know that if he had on proper footwear and pressed slacks he really would have been faster, more in tune, more melodic. And damn if the tone of his guitar would have be more like, umm, JD.

billy hankey, the Trolls troll.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bill Hankey said:
Sneakers detract immensely from the
professional stage appearances of steel guitar "greats".
Sadly, one of the identifying features of the average steel guitarist is the choice of sneakers and faded jeans.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

And Barry B let's one go from 3 point land - nothin' but net! Not sure if peripheral vision is a factor when wearing a Derby or not :D
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Scott,

The quote, "Great monster player, Scotty Henderson, of Lake Of The Ozarks, Missouri" , sent by Patrick Carlson is provocative in a sense. At first glance, Patrick is very convincing. I was under the impression, from a series of comments made by Scott in a thread, written weeks ago, that he was most assuredly in the intermediate range of pickers. Getting confused by two separate accounts of a players abilities, is more common than was first thought to be. Misjudging toward friendliness hastens a blighting consequence, by eroding implicit trust in specified individuals.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Scott Henderson is in no way, shape, or form an intermediate level player; rather, he's a professional picker of the highest caliber, well-known and highly regarded by the music community in the midwest.

If he's not more widely known and appreciated in other parts of the country, it may be due to the fact that he doesn't play the larger steel shows with great regularity, though he's certainly been heard from the Big Stage. He has a daytime career and plays in the central Missouri area (one of my favorite parts of the country, incidentally).

I hope I'm not embarrassing Scott, I just had to chime in because he really is a monster player, one whose friendship I enjoy and with whom I would gracefully refrain from "locking horns" with on a jam session bandstand, lest my ego get irreparably crushed. ;)
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

"I was under the impression, from a series of comments made by Scott in a thread, written weeks ago, that he was most assuredly in the intermediate range of pickers."--Bill

What did you expect Scott to say; "I'm the best darn guitar picker in this here land"?

When it comes to guitar players on this continent what Patrick said about Scott Henderson is one of those statements that can go straight to the bank.

It's nice to know that some folks can say they're not crazy about warm beer, or wet toilet paper, and who appreciate folks who know to keep their mouth shut when the only fact they have is an assumption.
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

Experts of the steel guitar's greatest secrets, hold no great recognition for taste in footwear. As for the ultimate example of glowing expertise seen in your fine photographs, they serve me well to prove my point. I know that no stone is left unturned in your subject's actual lifestyle. You can be sure of one thing - those sneakers that Buddy is wearing are what I would refer to as trial sneakers. I'll wager you, it didn't take him more than a few tries at determining their usefulness. I tried them - only to check the "feel" of the sole on the pedals. They failed miserably to satify my expectations. They're gaudy in appearance to attendees, especially those with the toes protruding out the sides.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Image912/690_Troub_1_1.jpg[/img] How many words is a picture worth?
Last edited by Joe Casey on 6 Mar 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

A white thumb pick!WOW
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Wow Lloyd playing in a Tshirt and Jeans and wearing Hush Puppies.

Totally average player, based upon hankeys astute observation.

SS
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bill Hankey said:
You can be sure of one thing - those sneakers that Buddy is wearing are what I would refer to as trial sneakers. I'll wager you, it didn't take him more than a few tries at determining their usefulness.
Bill, I have seen many pictures of 'E' wearing sneakers while playing, so whats your point?
By the way, b0b, it's happened again .....

Also, Bill, may I suggest this as a candidate for your new avatar?
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Cowboy hats and beards were required in the 1980's music scene. I came to it legitimately by my birth in old Greer County in southwest Oklahoma where my grandfather homesteaded. I don't diss anyone else who does the hat thing, because it's an honor to our heritage! Foo on anyone who puts down hats!