Steve Cunningham

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

Steve Cunningham

Post by Andy Volk »

If you're looking to hear lap steel played in some exciting and contemporary ways, look no further than Atlanta-based forumite, Steve Cunningham's music. I was listening to Steve's CD "Slide" in the car today and was reminded just how good he really is. Steve has terrific feel and amazing fluidity of expression on the instrument in rock, jazz, and funk playing. Check out Steve's audio clips on his site: http://www.stevecunningham.net
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Steve is a monster. Very unpredictable.
Mike Bagwell

Post by Mike Bagwell »

I'm blown away by his playing. Plays right thru the changes, very creative.

Mike
Jason Dumont

Post by Jason Dumont »

One of those guys that makes you want to pick up your steel and play......and then put it down and never touch it again..
Monster player!
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Steve is truly one of a kind. Which is kinda sad, because the lap steel needs more players like him. :wink:
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

He is an awesome musician. I keep frantically doing the genealogy research hoping I can at least claim distant cousin status. :wink:
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

Thanks for the plug Andy, and for everyone's kind words - I really appreciate all of you guys, and all of your great playing, which constantly inspires me.

I've been playing a lot of lap steel in trio (w/ bass and drums) settings lately - both 6 and 8, E and E13 respectively - and am really digging the space and harmonic freedom, especially in E13. I'm a huge Thelonoius Monk fan, and have a tendency to go in that direction rhythmically and harmonically in a trio. Any other steelers have a Monk influence? It seems so natural...I really think he would have dug the heck out of playing with Bob Dunn, or Joaquin.
Jim Mathis

Post by Jim Mathis »

Steve,

I just ordered Slide. I am looking forward to it.