weight

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Carroll

weight

Post by Bill Carroll »

Hello Members,

Has anybody considered getting a new , lighter pedal steel. It seems that there are a few strictly 3 pedal 4 knee available, however I have seen little or no input or compairison from players. My Fessenden is nice 3+5 SD 10 and weghs 60lbs shipped.

A Carp steel, a GFI, a Stage One, probably some others weigh about 40lbs.in cases.

I think most steels sound very good. "downgrading" would be costly, however a "grab and go" sounds kinda fun.

Is anybody thinking like me? Any opinions on choices? The Carp seems really interesting.

Your input is greatly valued.

Thanks everybody!
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I'l be gettin' a Jackson Blackjack Custom soon. It weighs twenty-four pounds. Itll be an addition to my GFI Ultra D-10.

Brett
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

My guess is that 3/4 of the weight of a pedal steel guitar is the body wieght.
Considering this I would think the lightest guitar would be one made from carbon fiber.
I think body mass is a factor in the tone and resonance os a steel guitar. I wouldn't totally discount it.
Assuming you are coming at this from the point of reducing the copedent, then Jerry F also makes a six string with just two peals, primarily intended for the electric guitarist who'd like to get some steel sounds on a few songs he's playing out. I'm not sure what it weighs.
Rick Winfield

Lite

Post by Rick Winfield »

the Jackson Edge "ultra-lite" weighs a mere 19 lbs !!
Rick
Randy Wade

Post by Randy Wade »

Yes! I just bought a new Stage-One for an easy to move, light and portable instrument and I love it. I would not part with either of my double neck steels though.
Barry Hyman

Post by Barry Hyman »

My Williams S-12 5+5 was 48 pounds when shipped, and is probably a few less without the cardboard. Seems within reason, and still lighter than my amp...
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

depending on how i like my new GFI I may be selling my Stage One.
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Rick Winfield

MSA Millenium

Post by Rick Winfield »

The new MSA Milennium is made of "carbon composite"
A D10 weighs in at an unbelievable 32 lbs !!
#1 on my wish list !!
Rick
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

I chose to keep my Stage One instead of going with the GFI Expo and my Stage One was half the price. I vote for Stage One. I dont think I'll ever get rid of mine now.
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery