Forrest Lee Sr.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Damir Besic

Forrest Lee Sr.

Post by Damir Besic »

my dear friend,wonderful gentleman and great song writer and entertainer Forrest Lee Sr. passed away on February 23rd 2010 ...his love for music followed him through his entire life, he had some wild times with George,Buck,Hag and many more in his days...he wrote some great music wich was recorded by Buck Owens and many others through the years.He will be missed by many as he was loved by many.Forrest had more country music in his little finger than all of the new "stars" today have combine."Higher and higher" and now you are as high as anyone can get, as high as the bright stars in the summer night, from now on you will be another shining star over Nashville.Love you and will always miss you, your friend Damir.

Db
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Sorry to hear this. I met Forrest a couple of times around 5 years ago when I played some gigs with Forrest Lee, Jr. He had us rolling with some good stories. My condolences to all his family and friends. RIP
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

thank you for your kind words Dave...

Db

Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Db
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Here is an old pic of Forrest, circa 1953?

That's Wynn Stewart in the lower right. Can anyone ID the steel player? Might be Jean Shepard on the left?

Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Mitch, I can ask Forrest Lee Jr., maybe he knows. I know JD worked a lot with Forrest ...

Forrest was also a very close friend with Buck and manager of Buck Owens & The Buckaroos for some time, here is one interesting letter Forrest saved through the years where Buck is talking about new star, Bob Dylan...

Db
Forrest Lee Jr

Post by Forrest Lee Jr »

Thats Jenny Sharp, Fiddlin Ray Oaks. Wynn Stewart on the bottom right. and Billy Dee ( Drinkin Tequila and Chasin The Girls) on the bottom left.

I'm not sure who the steel player is. At one time he has Junior Stonebarger playing steel when Buck was playing lead, right around the same time.

Thanks for the kind words and posts. Dad's up in Heaven chasin the girls and pickin and grinnin now.

Forrest Lee Jr.

BTW I still plan on doing an album of his songs, instrumentally. I had asked Lloyd, and Jay Dee to participate. I feel like I need to do this album now, because they are such great songs. And the solo Jay Dee played on the original 1973 track of Higher To Go, makes me cry everytime.
Forrest Lee Jr.
Forrest Lee Jr

Forrest Lee Sr Tribute CD

Post by Forrest Lee Jr »

The CD is complete.
Soon to be available at www.ForrestLee.com

Great pickin by : Jay Dee Maness, Albert Lee, Johnny Hiland, Redd Volkaert, John Pettifer and Forrest Lee Jr. its a guitar pickin record, but really its all about my dads songs, and his spirituality, and a celebration of Life, God, and Music.

I know my dad is smiling from up in Heaven.
Forrest Lee Jr.