Pedal Steeler at military installation in Germany

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alfred Breuer

Pedal Steeler at military installation in Germany

Post by Alfred Breuer »

For a friend of mine I am posting this question. He is living in Trier and wondering if there are any pedal steeler on military bases in the area he is living in.This could be Spangdahlem AFB, Ramstein AFB
or Baumholder/Kaiserslautern area.He would like to get in touch with somebody who plays Steelguitar and
exchange some experience about the instrument and how to play.He speeks English fluently,so there should be no problem to comunicate. Thank you very much for your replays.
Shaun Swanson

Post by Shaun Swanson »

I know he probably wants to speak with someone in person, but the best thing he could do in the mean time is join the forum.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you can talk to someone on Ramstein maybe they have some info. Maybe talk to whoever is in charge at the NCO club as they may book US GI bands.

This brings back memories, I was stationed at Hahn Airbase(Flugplatz Hahn)from 1956 to 1959.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I know what you're talking about Jack!! I spent three and a half years ar RAF Fairford in the UK and then took a concurrent to Spangdahlem. Seven years all told and when I came home I felt like a foreighner (sp??...)

Regards, Paul
Mike Kirkley

Post by Mike Kirkley »

Hey, fellows,
This really brings back memories to me as well, seeing as how I was at Hahn from August 87 to September 91, when we closed the military side of the base. I played in several military GI bands when I was there, and it was great!!! I miss it a LOT. Alfred, please tell the fellow in Trier to try to get in touch with a great German country band by the name of Truck Stop, if they're still around...their steeler is one of the best in Germany. I can't remember his name, but MAN, could he play! There's another guy he might also get in touch with, a fellow who lives in Aachen, I think, and his name is Marcel Marien...I bought my Sho Bud from Marcel, and he is one damn fine steeler as well. I have Marcel's email address, but please PM me and I'll pass it on there. All the best!! Mike Kirkley
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Just occurred to me; Walter Stettner's Clip of the week for 1-31-10 was by a German steel player named Frank Baum. Other that the fact that he was playing German instrument (ABM ??) I found no other info but it's obvious it's alive and well if Frank's playing is any sort of indicator...

Regards, Paul
Walter Glockler

Post by Walter Glockler »

Frank Baum played a Framus.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Walter G: If you have further information on Frank Baun, I know a lot of us on the Forum would like more word on him. Thank You in advance...

Regards, Paul 8) 8)
Walter Glockler

There's some information here:
www.framus-vintage.de
Click on "Artists" and then "Frank Baum".
The site is in English.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Walter G: I have tried that link five or six times today and cannot get it to open, Could be my rig which I think is older then I am.

Sorry, Paul :( :( :(
Walter Glockler

Paul,
Frank Baum has his own website; it's
www.palani-music.de
but this site is in German only.
If you have a fax machine, I could send you a copy of the information from the Framus site.
Cheers!
Walter
basilh

Post by basilh »

Frank Baum was inducted into the European Steel guitar Hall of fame last September..
Here and click here for his web site..
His IS the "B" in the ABM guitars..
Brad Malone

1956 to 1959

Post by Brad Malone »

Hey Jack Stoner, I was stationed at Bitburg Air Base from 1956 to 1959...for a short time during that period I was stationed on a detachment near Hahn air Base. I spent about two years of that time on a radio relay site near Masburg in the Eifel. Actually Bitburg is only about 15 miles from Trier. I bought my first Pedal Steel (Fender 1000) though the PX while at Bitburg. Do you remember the CW radio show that came on at 3pm every weekday?...I believe they called it "Stickbuddy time".
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

STICKBUDDY JAMBOREE !! I remember it well !!

Regards, Paul :D :D :D
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Brad, I don't remember that show, but after Hahn AB, I went to Keesler AFB and in mid 1959 I got into a band with all Keesler members and our lead guitar player had been the guitar player on the Country Music show over Armed Forces Radio that originated from Bremerhaven.

I was a ground (morse code) radio operator and also worked for a short period at the base MARS Radio station before coming back to the US. I was in the 2nd AACS Mobile Squadron.
Brad Malone

Keesler AFB

Post by Brad Malone »

Jack, After basic training at Samson AFB in NY, I went to Keesler AFB for Radar School..I was there from Nov 55 to Oct 56 and then went to Bitburg AFB in Germany. Keesler AFB had a lot of good entertainment. I remember seeing Elvis there at the Airmens club in 1955, I also seen Jimmy Dickens who had a Steel player by the name of Buddy Emmons in 1956 at the Airmen club on the base. Outside the base in the town of Biloxi, Miss there was a club named Sy Simons which had music 6 nights a week and the steel player in the band played a double neck fender..his name was Ernie Harvey.
Brad Malone

Stickbuddy Jamboree

Post by Brad Malone »

Hey Paul, I was a real CW fan at that time and the Stickbuddy Jamboree at around 3pm was my highlight of the day.
Bas Kapitein

Post by Bas Kapitein »

Johan Janssen is a dutch steelplayer who lives and teaches steelguitar in Germany. He is a forum member.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

The great Red Saxon is from Germany. I know he was in the hospital a while back but he might be available. I don't know what part of the country he lives in though.........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Walter Glockler

Red Saxon used to live in the Frankfurt/Main area, most likely still does.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

If he wants to, him or you Mr. Breuer can contact me via the Forum. I live about 150 kilometers from Trier.
I started playing steel in 1990, so I think I can play and teach a little bit.
Alfred Breuer

Post by Alfred Breuer »

Thanks for all the answers to the request of my friend.I talked to him today,and he wants to thank everybody who read this post and took part in the conversation.Although he did not find any current steelplayer at a military instalation, this subject seems to bring back a lot of memories to people who spent some of their servicetime in Germany.At least
it is a good idea of having the steelguitarforum and
he has told me, that he will join the forum as soon as possible.