Sho Bud Pro II Pedal Rod Problems

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Enterline

Sho Bud Pro II Pedal Rod Problems

Post by John Enterline »

I have a 1974 Sho-Bud Pro II that I bought about 15-20 years ago. Previous to that I owned a number of Sho-Buds. On the other S~Bs the pedal rods were numbered. On the 74 Pro II they were not and I always found it difficult to even my pedals out and get proper height because the rod lengths were strange.

I recently bought a Pro II Custom (pot metal) and have been comparing the mechanisms. The Custom's rods are numbered on the pedal rod connector and has (with the pedal rod connectors removed) 26" rods on 1-3 and 25.5" rods on 4-8 -- makes sense as the 3-8 mechanisms are 1/2" lower just like the neck. Everything works great.

On the 1974 the rods (again with the connectors removed) are 2 x 26 1/4", 4 x 25 3/4", and 2 x 25 1/2". Does anyone know what the proper lengths are for the 1974 model? The 2 26 1/4 seem too long for the guitar. I suspect I need the same rods as the Custom, which means only two rods are correct. If so, where can I get a set of rods or have these rods fixed? Maybe just a hack saw and a threader. Thanks!

John
James Morehead

Re: Sho Bud Pro II Pedal Rod Problems

Post by James Morehead »

John Enterline wrote:

Does anyone know what the proper lengths are for the 1974 model? If so, where can I get a set of rods or have these rods fixed? Maybe just a hack saw and a threader. Thanks!

John
The proper length is where YOU are most comfortable. The only "right" is if it feels good to you. Set them up the way you like, and mark them with a sharpie, and you are good to go.

By the way, the "Pro II" and the "Pro II Custom" are two different guitars. Some things might be standard between the two guitars, some things are not. So just set that Pro II up to fit you the best.
John Enterline

Post by John Enterline »

The problem is that with these varied pedal rod lengths I can't get the pedals even or have 1-3 reach their full pull without jacking up the pedal bar (which makes 4-8 too high). My gut says there should be two lengths -- one for 1-3 and one for 4-8. The Custom is like this. Hats to start hacking these up without knowing the factory specs. I think this is a hodge-podge of rods from different guitars. Some have numbers scratched on them and some don't. There are two #3's that are different lengths.

Thanks

John
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Then, try setting 5--8 at proper height and measure 1-3. I'll see if I have what length you need. Email me at shobud@windstream.net and I'll see if i can help you.