OnLine Memorial Service for John Fabian (CarterSteelGuitars)

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

I always thought of John as a sincerely honest and fine gentleman. So sorry to hear he is gone. May God bless Ann and John's family.
Robin Archer

Post by Robin Archer »

I never had the pleasure of meeting John but as a newbie (last year) with a 2nd hand Carter Starter I called Carter with some, what I realise now were truly dumb questions. I pretty sure, it was John who picked up the phone and patiently answered my queries. As I hung up, I remembered thinking, "Gee what a nice guy to take the time to answer my questions. He didn't have to do that".
I sure the industry will miss this man who took the time to help someone just starting out.
Rest In Peace, John
->R
That's a Gibson Electra Harp; four pedals, 8 string, C6th
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

http://www.steelguitar.com/2000

Glad he got this one done. It's a nice milestone and, now, memorial.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

My sincere condolences, Ann. I had no idea that John was battling cancer. I always enjoyed talking to you both at Scotty's.

May he rest in peace and may your life remain filled with fond memories.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

My condolences go out to you, Ann, for your loss; and to all the other members of the Fabian and Carter families. John did so much for our enthusiastic community of steel players and fans.

Chris
Carter SD-12
John Norris

Post by John Norris »

Dear Ann,
Please accept our profound condolences. John was a great ambassador for steel and was a friendly face at the steel shows and at NAMM.
It is a pleasure to have known him.

John Norris
John Norris
Peterson Strobe Tuners
- Celebrating 75 Years of Tuning Products in 2023!
Justin B. French

Post by Justin B. French »

My condolences to Ann and his family. Jud French
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Ann;

My deepest condolences to you and the entire Fabian family.
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Dennis Atkins

Post by Dennis Atkins »

I was just reading Bobby Seymour's newsletter (email), and he posted that John had passed. I had not been on the Forum for a couple of days, and I missed the original posting.

I am so sorry to hear of his passing. Even though I don't play a Carter, I always saw John at the Carter Booth, whether in Dallas or St. Louis, and emjoyed talking to him. He was always eager to share and inspire steel players. Like everyone else who knew him, he will be missed greatly.

My condolences to Ann and the family. May God give you all peace at this time.

Dennis
George Allour

Post by George Allour »

Ann; My sincere and humble condolences to you and your family. John will be greatly missed by all.

God Bless
George Allour
Melvindale, Mi.
George Allour
Sean Doherty

Post by Sean Doherty »

I am shocked to read this news. My deepest sympathy to Ann and family
Carter D10, ZB SD10, Nashville 112, Peavey Vegas, Black Box, Goodrich pedal.
Mike Vallandigham

Post by Mike Vallandigham »

so Sad. I had the pleasure to meet John at the Phoenix Steel Guitar show, 5 years ago. I didn't know then that he was sick (Ann said it's been 8 years he has battled Cancer) I feel fortunate to have met him, and that he was able to attend the shows during his illness. He was an asset to all steel players.

Farewell..

My gransfather died of colon cancer. No joke men, check yourself, John would have wanted you to.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

My sincere condolences to Ann and all of John's family. His is a large loss to the steel guitar world..
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Like everyone else I was shocked and saddened by this news. My condolences to Ann and the Carter Steel family.
I never met John face to face but we spoke at length over the phone about a number of issues.
RIP John
Larry Phleger

Post by Larry Phleger »

I am so sorry to hear of John’s passing. Although I never met John, he and the folks at Carter Guitars have always gone out of their way to accommodate my needs. To Ann, the family, and all the folks at Carter, please accept my heart felt sympathy for your loss.
Larry Phleger
Larry Self

Post by Larry Self »

R.I.P. John ---Larry Self
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Ann and Bud, Just now found out about John. So sorry.I did not know of his illness. May God Bless and Keep you in this time of sadness. The Pedal Steel Guitar World will never be the same again. He and Bud Carter paved the way for lots of new designs of the Steel. My Sincere Reguards, J.R.Rose
J PARKER

Post by J PARKER »

I am so sad to hear about this news. My prayers go out to Ann and the family during their time of sorrow.May GOD bless and comfort them. Jim
Don Brown, Sr.

Our Sincere Condolences

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Like as many others have so rightly said. John will sure be missed.

Our Sincere Condolences, to Ann, and those who knew and loved John.

R.I.P.

Don Brown, & family
Roger Russell

prayers

Post by Roger Russell »

Having just bought a carter steel last year and I must say it truly stands among the best,I did not know John personaly as some have posted and to also express their feelings of the loss of a man who has given so much to this industry and to life in general as to the reading of all the thoughts and prayers though these postings,,I believe John truly stood among the best also,I wish i could have met him.My prayers to the Fabian family.

Sincerely

Roger Russell
Mike Brown

John Fabian

Post by Mike Brown »

This is quite an unpleasant surprise. I considered John a very, very knowledgable friend of the steel guitar world. I send Ann and family my sincere condolences. Like many legendary players who have passed, John will be missed by all at Peavey Electronics.
Dave Manion

Post by Dave Manion »

Although I never met him, he was the reason I am a steel guitarist now. From the Carter Starter I ordered, to the wealth of instruction on maintenance and especially the video making connections between guitar and steel, if I didn't have all those resources, I easily would have been discouraged and gave up.

John is missed by the whole steel guitar community, my condolences on your loss.
Dave Manion
Bob Maickel

We regret the loss of a great friend of all steel guitarists

Post by Bob Maickel »

Ann, on behalf of the Officers and Members of the Pedal Steel Guitar Association, please accept our deepest sympathy to you and your family, on John's passing.

Needless to say we are all stunned by this very sad news. It was always a pleasure speaking with John and seeing his wonderful smile. He certainly made a huge impact on the steel guitar world with his knowledge of steel building, playing, and advanced marketing technique in a sometimes unstable industry.

May he rest in peace.

Bob Maickel
John LeMaster

Post by John LeMaster »

Condolences to the family. John, you will be missed by your countless friends in the steel guitar world.

John L.
Magnum D10, Emmons D10 push-pull
Debbie Johnley Glaub

Post by Debbie Johnley Glaub »

My prayers are with you Ann and family..John will be deeply missed. Blessings to you and yours and my sincerest sympathy.
Debbie
Debbie Johnley Glaub