OnLine Memorial Service for John Fabian (CarterSteelGuitars)

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

James Pennebaker

Post by James Pennebaker »

Shock doesn't begin to describe how I feel. I've not visited the Forum in quite some time, logged on just now and this is the first thing I see. It took my breath away. I had no idea that he had been ill. I've been playing a Carter guitar since around 2004 and have spoken to John on the phone a few times. I finally got to meet him personally at a NAMM show a few years back. As Ann's post says, service to others was of the utmost importance to John and I can testify to that. My prayers and condolences go out to Ann and the rest of the Fabian family.

James Pennebaker
Last edited by James Pennebaker on 30 Jan 2010 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buck Grantham

John

Post by Buck Grantham »

John was always friendly to us and very helpfull . we are very saddened by his passing and our condolances go out to Ann and the family. Love, Buck & Mitzi .
Music to light up your life
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Miss Ann,
My heart and my prayers go out to you and the family. Mr John was a good friend for over 35 years. This is a shock, and very sad news..
My thoughts, and prayers ..
RP...'come on in'...
Eddie D.Bollinger

Post by Eddie D.Bollinger »

I have to recall John's dry wit. When I was researching my Carter, I would call him and ask how this color top would look with "this" color apron.
Finally, John told me that all my combinations would
be added to their "bizarre" file.

He was a true genius. I pray for Ms. Ann and his
family. He will be missed by them and all of us who
called upon his expertise from year to year.

Eddie
Steve Alcott

Post by Steve Alcott »

My deepest sympathy to Ann and all at Carter. I always enjoyed my conversations with John at TSGA.
Jeff Coffell

Post by Jeff Coffell »

A shock to say the least. I didn't own a Carter guitar but have talked to Ann and John through the years and looked forward to seeing them in the Carter Room at the TSGA Jamboree.

Our prayers go up for Ann and the family.

God will bless our souls.

Jeff & Regina Coffell
Chet Force

Post by Chet Force »

This is quite a shock. Mine and Arlene's sincere condolences go out to Ann and the family. ...

Chet & Arlene
Scott Truax

Post by Scott Truax »

As is everyone, I, too, am shocked to learn of
John's passing.
He was as "World Class" as Carter guitars.
And will be missed by many in the steel guitar community.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Ann.

Scott
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Our deepest sympathy to you Ann and your family in this time of sorrow.

Nick & Linda
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

The words "shocked" and "saddened" cannot begin to describe what I'm feeling now. My heart goes out to you and your family, Ann, along with my deepest & sincerest condolences and most earnest prayers.

John will be sorely missed, and always remembered.
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I have been remembering some very special times at the Carter booths in Dallas and St. Louis. John and Ann were very generous to all of us in making those times possible. Thanks for the memories.
Brian Folks

Post by Brian Folks »

I was very SHOCKED to hear of John's passing...i had met John in late 1998 and had drove to Mesquite to order a new Carter at that time...that was right when they were coming out with the new BCT in early 1999 that i had received my new Carter...John was always very honest and helpful with everyone he sold a Carter to...He will be "Missed" by all who knew him...My condolence goes out to Ann Fabian and all the Family...God Bless

Brian & Carolyn Folks
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Ruth and I wish to extend our condolences. John was a truly great asset to the steel guitar comunity, he will be missed by so many! He leaves a great legacy behind, the world class Carter Steel guitars.

May he rest in eternal peace. Our hearts go out to Ann in her time of mourning.
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

It's difficult to know what to say. John will surely be missed.

Sincere condolences to Anne, and all family members
Larry Waisner

What a loss

Post by Larry Waisner »

What a great loss of a truly Great man. John you were the one that convinced me in buying my first Carter.
My prayers to you Ann and family.
Regards,
Larry Waisner
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I'm still flabbergasted with the news ..it's almost beyond comprehension that John has left us.
One of the things I always looked forward to upon arrival at the Dallas show was the wonderful welcome John and Ann always had for me ... they always made me feel like I was family!
I never knew he had been ill, or for so long, I guess that's a reflection of the dignity of the man ...I will miss his wonderfully intelligent mind and the generous way he would always make time to stop and talk ...despite being the busiest man in the place.
My sincerest condolences to Ann and family.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

I am in Shock !! I liked John
My thoughts are with you Ann
Tony
Evelyn Whitney

Post by Evelyn Whitney »

So very sorry to hear this sad news.
Hard to believe.
LT Zinn
Mike Ester

Post by Mike Ester »

Ann, I am so sorry to hear about this. Please accept my condolences for your loss.
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

I join the steel guitar community in offering my deepest condolences. John has always been so friendly and professional. He will be missed.
TC
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I'm shocked and saddened to hear this. I have played a Carter for nearly twelve years now, and John was always very helpful if I had a question. I enjoyed talking to him an the phone and seeing him at steel shows. He will be missed.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

My sincere condolences. I think it says a lot about John the fact that he battled so long with his illness and how many of his friends didn't even know it. He must have been like a rock.
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Ann,like so many others,I was totally shocked and unaware of John's long illness and found out about his passing away today, when when I received a phone call from a friend asking me if I knew.

My mind immediately goes back ,remembering the many pleasant times when I stopped by the shop to visit he and Bud, going out to lunch with them, and watching them build guitars. I pray God's goodness for you and for the continued success of the company.

Hope to see you in Dallas
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Damn! :cry: I don't know what to say. What a terrible blow to the steel guitar community. My prayers and best wishes go out to Ann and the family. I will truly miss John.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Spencer Scott

Post by Spencer Scott »

I read this yesterday,but found it very upsetting to post till now.John was one of a kind,the big thing I will always remember was his big welcome smile that said it all.My condolences to Ann and all the family.
Spencer Scott.UK.