Gary Adkinson

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Dan Sliter

Gary Adkinson

Post by Dan Sliter »

It is with deep sadness that i have to tell all who knew him that Gary Adkinson passed away this morning around 5:30. He has been in the hospital in Conway Arkansas for about two weeks,He has been fighting cancer. I will miss him so very much.He was a ture friend for many years.
Rest in peace my friend!!!!!
Dan Sliter
Eddie Lane

Post by Eddie Lane »

This is sad news. Gary was one of the best country singers that I have ever known. Nobody could sing the shuffles any better than Gary. He will be missed.
pdl20

Gary Adkinson

Post by pdl20 »

What a Loss,I worked with him several times and what a singer and good friend he was.i knew he was fighting cancer but didn't know how bad he had it. My Prayers go out to his many friends and Family.i among many will miss him. REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Dan, so sorry to hear this although it was kinda expected. Losing a good friend is as hard as losing a family member. Gary was a great singer and he honed his skills in the honky-tonks like most of us older players. I guess what I'm saying is that he paid his dues. Prayers go out to his family and he will leave a void in my life. God bless him! Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Jack Musgrave

Post by Jack Musgrave »

rest in peace with God my friend. enjoyed the times we had.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

This is a really sad day for me. Gary and I played music together for many years. Gary always had a steel guitar in his band. Good by my friend.
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

A wonderful singer and, as Keith said, a true friend to all steel players. May God grant him peace.

jmm
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

Mr Gary,
I thank you for your friendship, your music, and your humor, and your information, and your influence in the country music field. You shall always be a great memory, and one of my Heros.
My thoughts and prayers to your family, and family of friends.
Rest in eternal peace dear friend..
RP...'come on in'...
Dan Sliter

Funeral Arangments

Post by Dan Sliter »

Gary is at Roller Mcnutt funeral home in conway Arkansas. Viewing Tuesday from 6:00 till 8:00.
Funeral will be Wenesday at 3:00 PM.
Thanks
Dan
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

I recieved a phone call from Gary's daughter after he passed away. I have taught two of his grandchildren in school here at Marshfield.

I was not able to attend his funeral due to my surgery on my hand and my wife was with her mother in hospital. My mother-in-law was in a terrible car accident. So no way to go and attend.

Anyhow, I really liked Gary and as others mentioned he was a great singer. He came and sang and played at all our Annual Marshfield Steel Guitar Shows since we started 5 years ago.

Next, I had the honor and priviledge of recording and producing a Country Gospel CD with Gary in late 2008 and early 2009. He and I discussed this after I heard him singing the Country Gospel songs at our steel shows. We worked on it for several weeks. He was a real pro all the way and I regard this as one of the finest music projects that I have ever been a part of.

Like the rest of you all, I will miss him as friend and great vocalist. I know he is at rest now and will not suffer anymore.

May GOD bless his family and friends.

Terry Wood
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

What a loss. Yep, Gary was a king when it came to singing the shuffle songs. Such a nice guy. He, and my mentor the late John Daughtery used to get together with me and swap jokes at the steel gutiar shows. Gary was funny, and I always enjoyed listening to him sing those great "belly rubbers". What a powerful singer. RIP my friends. You and John whoop it up at the big jam session.
Scott Henderson

Post by Scott Henderson »

I'll always have fond memories of conversations with Gary and of course that great voice. One of his vocals is in my mp3 player. Great guy great loss
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)