Bobbe's Tips

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wally Taylor

Bobbe's Tips

Post by Wally Taylor »

Wow, todays Tips was full of good stuff. I have no idea how Bobbe finds the time to compile all of it. I had to smile as I thought about how many people reading it today actually have all those stickers and decals on their steels. I would not dare to decoate my beloved Ritt like that myself, but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Anyone want to show pics of their steels with decals and such?
Thanks Bobbe, you are doing a wonderful job with your newsletters and they are often thought provoking.
As for the personal military jet to fly Nasty Nancy's @$$ home every weekend...........sux to be an American taxpayer!
George Kovolenko

Post by George Kovolenko »

....and how does one go about getting these tips?
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

I can't imagine permanently disfiguring an exquisite steel guitar or drilling holes in a brand new one.

Here's what I did. I used sheet closed-cell foam cut to fit between the pad and neck of my guitar. It is non-marring and instantly removable. I added red stickers on the foam to mark the fret numbers and key positions. This had the added advantage of providing some protection against bar dings while I developed some manual dexterity using the bar. Worked for me.

Dennis
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race, the rats get faster.
Joe Gretz

How to get Bobbe's tips

Post by Joe Gretz »

George,

Just go to Bobbe's web site and sign up for the newsletter. I've put the link here, or you can go to the link section of the forum...lots of good links there!

http://www.steelguitar.net/
Dattebayo!!!
George Kovolenko

Post by George Kovolenko »

Thanks Joe!
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

I couldn't agree more than with Bobbe's Tips today. I've never cared for added on stickers, decals, or player's names on the front of a steel guitar, especially a Emmons or a Sho-Bud.
Any other brand I suppose it's OK to to put them on. :lol: It only needs what the manuufacturer puts on it.

Nick
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

As Bobbe mentioned, quite a few of the early Bigsby players had their names emblazoned across the front of their guitars. Although it seems a bit over the top to me, I can see how a lot of players may have seen that and integrated it into the mystique and cool factor that attracted them to steel, and hence "decorated" their own guitars.
I've seen a large number of guitars over the years that had a name decal, or shadow of same, still surviving long after the original owner.
Bill OConnor

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bill OConnor »

I agree Bobbe`s news letter is the best thing we have had in a while .I look forward to good info plus some good stories.Bobbe is putting much time and effort in the letter. We all need to think him.Come on guys you need to read his letter it is good.
Ron Brennan

Post by Ron Brennan »

What Bill Oconnor said about Bobbe:
We all need to thank him.
Good on ya, Bobbe, no matter what, thank you........and, uhh, maybe this year: :D .....TX

Rgds,

Ron
JCFSGC member 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Fender Stringmaster D8,
"83" Emmons LeGrande 77L SKH D10 8 & 5,
"67" All Original Telecaster & Original Owner
"86" Peavey Factory Modified NV 400,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10"s, RV-3, Upgraded chip set GE-7 EQ, CH1 Chorus, DS-1, Hilton, BJS Bar.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

The Jagwire strings sticker is a interesting one that you see a lot on the front apron of steels. You don't see strings stickers on other instruments like that. I wonder who started this trend?
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Chris LeDrew wrote:I wonder who started this trend?
Probably Jagwire! :lol:
Robert Fleming

Post by Robert Fleming »

I stop whatever I am doing every time Bobbe's newsletter gets delivered to my e mail. He has a customer for life here and I tell all my musician friends about him too. I wish him much success. I just ordered a Nashville 112 from him and he is going to sign it for me.Thats about it for me as far as "de-facing" music gear.
Stage One PSG, Old Deluxe Reverb,Peavey Session 500,Nashville Telecaster, Alvarez Yari DY62 Cedar Top acoustic, Alvarez AJ-60-12 acoustic 12 string, Larivee OM-3 Acoustic, Harmony MOTS lap steel, Magnatone MOTS lap steel, Gibson BR-9 lap steel, Andy Hintons coated picks, Ernie Cawby's amp stand, Sharp Covers Nashville Amp and Guitar covers
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Bobbe also wrote about the decline of the use of great musicians on recordings. Once, in the past, the steel and guitar were featured greatly in country music, but I think too that the general music public has lost any interest in high fidelty music reproduction. They are just as happy with their little ipods or tiny computer speakers or their little plastic unit/speakers.
I still have an old Marantz reciever and Pioneer stero speakers, but they do have high fidelity. I want to hear the music as it was meant to be heard. The garbage coming out of Nashville and other places have some of the worst mixdowns and little music separation. Thank goodness Bobbe's recordings are mixed with perfection where you can hear all the instruments in balance. No one seems to care about quality in the music today.
Keep up the good work Mr. Seymour, we do appreciate all you have done and are doing for the steel and steel players.
Wally
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

I've got stickers and like them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

On the front of my Mullen, I've got a shiny chrome sticker in the shape of the Great State of Texas. A sticker like that can make any guitar look better, especially an Emmons or a Sho~Bud! :P
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Here's a shot of my BMI...I love the wooden moulding piece I added a couple of years ago and I wouldn't take the Masonic emblem off for anything. In '87 I went to my first St. Louis Convention and Jim Bob Sedgwick had his Williams guitar on stage with "Asleep at the Steel" painted across the front apron! I thought it looked great and some foreign players wanted their pictures taken with it!...JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Jerry Bull

Post by Jerry Bull »

Jerry,
How did you come up with that molding trick? what did you use? how thick is it? I like it!!

-Another Jerry :D
www.psgpicker@gmail.com (Sierra Crown D-10 keyless)2-Nashville 112's, Steelers Choice, Hilton VP, Digitech RP150, Bobro, GeorgeL's cables, BJS Bars and Picks.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Guilty. I should call Bart Durham.

C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Cal,
I heard Mitch Grissom is also taking cases like these. . . . . . :lol:

and Lee, yours is OK since it's a Mullen. . .
or if you retire and move to Florida you can put your name on the front. . . . . :lol:
Last edited by Nick Reed on 29 Jan 2010 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

I'm just hoping Bobbe doesn't prosecute. :whoa:
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Gary Cole

Stickers

Post by Gary Cole »

My BMI 12 just has a brushed steel plate that says

"Made Especially for Wilbert C. Buskirk by Zane Beck"

I think it lends a little history to it, and IMHO, makes the tone just a little more heavenly.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Chris LeDrew wrote:The Jagwire strings sticker is a interesting one that you see a lot on the front apron of steels. You don't see strings stickers on other instruments like that. I wonder who started this trend?
Before Jagwire there was George L so we can't be blaming Danny for the idea.
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

My name is on the front of my Williams, if Bill can put his I can put mine. Ilike it others must cause some down here in florida did theirs after I did mine, and have ordered decals for others where I got mine from. It is a decal and can be removed easly by sarting at the edge with finger nail, and it will peale right off.

ernie
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Jerry B.....I found that moulding piece at Lowe's Home Center here in Va. Beach. The moment I saw it I knew just where it'd look good so I bought it for around 3 or 4 bucks........Micky B. in England liked it too so I shipped one over to him....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Image[/img]