Moving to Nashville

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

W. C. Edgar
Location: Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, East Coast Soon!

Post by W. C. Edgar »

Good luck to you my friend. I lived in Nashville for about six years and ALWAYS had Artist work. I used to hear that there were great players sleeping in their cars and that I'd never get work, yeah right. When it comes right down to it if you weed out all of the players that either have substance abuse problems or personality or intonation issues you will find that there is plenty of work to go around. Heck, I can even think of a couple people with intonation problems that scored Artist gigs they kept for quite a while and one that even ended up being the bandleader. It's also all about networking and you can never know enough people. I worked for Opryland USA on the Country Music USA Show for two seasons when it was up and running as well as playing for Alan Jackson, and then Tim McGraw for two years followed by BB Watson, Marty Haggard, Leroy Van Dyke, Jeff Carson,Johnny Lee and two years with Ty England from Garth Brooks' band. So have faith my friend, never ever burn any bridges, meet all the people you can and most of all keep smiling! :D
WC Edgar
www.wcedgar.com

www.myspace.com/wcedgar
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

wow thank you for the nice comment W.C, thats really inspirational, im here now with Georgette Jones in Alabama and next week we going Nashville to meet some people, hopefully jamming in the stage next tuesday the 13th October.
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Jamie, I think Jimmy Peppers sent Georgette some new songs (she called him looking for songs). Some of her father's songs that she does are Peppers songs including "Tonight I Just Don't Give A Damn". (Jimmy Peppers was George Jones' band manager in the late 60's/early 70's and is originally from Alexander City Al).
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

How about an update Jaime!!
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Damir Besic wrote:Jamie, why am I negative? :roll: what do I care???? I`m sure you will get here and in week or two you will be on the road with Alan Jackson or Chesney making at least $1000 per show...and when you get back to Nashville you can play down town all day long and make hundereds of dollars and go to the Rippley`s have some steak..I`m sure ....there is no doubt in my mind, and not even to mention all those recording sessions on 16th ave., man, what are you waiting for...??

Db

ps

btw. you asked us for our opinion, so I gave you mine, would you like to heear only positive opinions?

Just looking back at the thread and chuckle at so many nice and negative comments !!

Well now im here, never had to experience them noodles you were going on about. Got some real reputable players sponsoring me which sorted my visa. Going on the road with Georgette Jones also very soon, and been asked by heart of Texas records to record in their studio, ohh and by the way still eating steak !!! :D
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Still eating steaks !

Post by Paul Frank Bloomfield »

Eating all those steaks will,eventually,make you
fat ! Oh, how I envy you,I can imagine sitting in
some steakhouse with my good friend,Duncan Hodge,
having a good 'ole chat ,drinking much beer ( I
am quite partial to Lone Star in Texas)and more
than likely spending a night in the company of
the local constabulary (nothing serious mind !)
and ,of course, lots of steel chat !
Well, back to the real world,probably a Greek salad for tea,
and if I'm lucky some stifado and a cup
of coffee,one day,perhaps the God of Lottery will
smile on me ( some hope !!)
All the best from cold,wet Corfu
Frank. Corfu
" The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you've finished "
ZBSD-10,ZB D-11/10, Franlin Tele,Epiphone customised Les Paul, 'Fender pro 185 amp.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Jamie: summing up your progress, I think your name is very apt: in our Brummy terminology, you're a jammy bugger... :lol: 8) :lol: 8)
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Pay no attention, Jamie - Damir can be a bit grumpy at times, and is particularly negative about playing pro. You've had a touch of good fortune, but we all need some of that sometimes.

I've been here eleven years now and, aside from the scary US medical 'issues', haven't regretted it for a moment.

I'm still getting enough work to live on, so no-one's 'found me out' yet! :D
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

Way to go Jamie, but don't you think it's about time you got yourself a better guitar now. :lol:
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund
Michael J Pfeifer

move to nashville

Post by Michael J Pfeifer »

I don't want to discourage you Jamie. Have you listened to the music coming out of Nashville? I've heard some, and it doesn't contain steel guitar. The great Johnny Cox is driving a bus. Look before you leap.
basilh

Post by basilh »

He DID leap, and guess what ? He landed on his feet..
Michael J Pfeifer

Post by Michael J Pfeifer »

Good luck Jamie.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I know that for the most part, except for not doing bad things, there is no "right path".

I enjoyed my week long visit to Nashvile for what it was. Opportunity, for sure. Both for good and not so good.

In my case, I'm lucky enough to have lived long enough to know the things that make me happy.

I have plenty of friends there, couldn've gotten a day job, and juggled it with playing. In my case, the "road" aspect of it would have made things like having a dog, and a construction job harder than it is here.

I really didn't care for the "Crossroads" layout of Nashville, and all the murderous truck traffic at night. I'd miss the country out here in Oregon too.

Hopefully it will go well for you, and you will be mindful of the dangers and not put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Let us know.

;)

EJL
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I'm a great believer in fate, and fate can be helped along by your own actions. Meeting Georgette has undoubtedly helped in this case.

Jamie - I remember playing on a festival in Zurich in the early 80's featuring numerous name country artists from the USA. Tammy Wynnette was on the bill and I recall that she had her 2 young daughters with her back stage. Georgette must obviously have been one of them, and its great that she has kept the family tradition going. I think its great that a Brit has a small foothold in the USA steel scene, particularly in Nashville. It's just you and Roger R at the moment. I must admit that I was a little dubious about your ability to do anything over there, as there are some great players struggling to make a decent living in and around Nashville. I'm glad you proved me wrong.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I think your living your dream, not many of us get to do that, best of luck to you..and enjoy the Steaks :D it's my favorite also...
David Hartley

Hi

Post by David Hartley »

I have never met Jamie Lennon but our paths have crossed, just last year in fact when I was at the Americana festival, but we never got to meet face to face as we were performing on different days. I have recently been in touch with him. I feel so happy for him, this really is great news to hear that he is getting on in the USA and totally living out his dream. This is something that I always dreamed of while I was growing up in the country music world in the UK, (so to speak). He's done it!, and I sincerely hope it continues to be so too, the life and work he wanted.

Jamie, many regards to you. I really hope I get to meet you one day to shake your hand.

Sincerely
David Hartley
Ted Nesbitt

Jamie Lennon

Post by Ted Nesbitt »

David, I was with Jamie and Georgette last night (Thur 21st) They are on tour in Ireland along with Nathan Carter and his band. Georgette told me they are planning to marry in August this year. He had his Franklin tweeked by Mr.Paul Franklin Sen.and its sounding really good. They will be in Ireland untill mid. Feb, and then returning again in March. You never know, they could settle here and become Mr and Mrs Jamie O Lennon. See you soon in Dallas.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Ted,
I received news today that Georgette has cancelled all her UK shows.
She was due to play Glasgow next week then Linwood and on up to Thurso.
She must prefer Shamrock to Heather.
Perhaps Jamie can enlighten us.
Billy
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

I have had been told thet the (unconfirmed) word is that the agent/promoter was relativly inexperienced and did not know that a work permit/visa was required for Georgette.
Georgette arrived on schedule.
Very unfortunate and totally outwith Georgette's hands.
Billy
basilh

Post by basilh »

Of course when Jamie and Georgette get married the visa/work permit situation will be nullified.(both ways)
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

...true, except that the Home Office don't allow one's US spouse to work in the UK until they've resided there for six months.

The HO's rules are stricter than are the INS! (I should know...)
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

She would have been better sayng She was an asylum seeker then she would have been housed,given social security etc.,
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I entered the US on a special visa in '98 - it took forever to actually get my Green Card (they were so inefficient), but I was immediately issued with a Social Security # and given permission to work pending the validation of my Resident Alien status.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

basilh wrote:Of course when Jamie and Georgette get married the visa/work permit situation will be nullified.(both ways)
No it won't. An Englishman married to a US citizen has no right to work or live in the U.S.A. I married a US citizen in 1978 and it took me two years to get a Resident Alien Permit. What's more, you have to go back to your country of origin to apply. He has to send forms to the US Embassy in London and wait for an interview. He has to get sponsors in the US who will guarantee to support him financially in the event of him become dependent. Then, assuming he passes the interview, and they conclude that he is of good character, and he's never had any criminal conviction whatsoever, he goes on a list and, hopefully, receives his approval by mail within a few months, once they've done a complete police records check. By the way, one little puff of mariajuana makes you ineligible for a US Visa for ever.

Roger, they must have changed the rules in the UK. I was married in Birmingham on 3Jan1978. My wife was born in Nebraska and she got the right to work immediately, and was offered UK citizenship within a few weeks. She didn't take it up.
Last edited by Alan Brookes on 22 Jan 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Alan

We checked it recently; in light of the prospect of getting old here with the outrageous health-care conditions, we've considered it ourselves. I have a booklet inform us that there's a six-month penalty period.

I didn't meet and marry Susie until I'd been here a few years, but I was already a cardholder. If I'd have married her in the USA hoping to 'jump the queue' then you're quite correct. I'd have had to return to the UK and make an application in Grosvenor Square and begin the process as if I'd never been in America.