Unflattering pictorial views of pedal steel guitar..........

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Montee

Unflattering pictorial views of pedal steel guitar..........

Post by Ray Montee »

Over time, the question has been asked more than once why more women don't play the pedal steel guitar?

Taking a glance or two at the YouTube pages, one can easily observe that playing pedals is not necessarily a graceful endeavor. Additionally, with very bright foot lights shooting up under the guitars on stage at the majority of steel guitar shows, little is left for one's modesty.

Speedy West and one or two others used to use a solid
apron to conceal their pedal rods and possibly their fancy foot work. I initally used to hang a RED velvet apron under by g'tar in order to conceal my pedals as well.

Does anyone think that if aprons were factory installed or were a matching option, that it might offer more unconscious appeal to lady steel players?
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I believe they call those "modesty panels" in the office furniture business. :)
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

As long as the woman is wearing pants, I don't see a problem. What about women in the audience staring at a man's, umm, well, umm.... knees.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

I like to see an all girl string quartet with a transparent cello.:oops:

Arch.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

come on Ray you mean if a woman was playing a pedal steel and dumb enough to wear a dress you would not look lol
Ray Montee

The question is asked..................

Post by Ray Montee »

The answer:

NOT ME!

Not in this lifetime!
Harold Liles Jr

Post by Harold Liles Jr »

I'm with you Joe!! At our age about all we do is look anyway..
Harold Liles
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Sarah is hot, and I don't just mean her playing. :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:

Now answer this... How the hell does she play in those shoes?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

:)
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

If I ever buy another pedal steel, I will make sure to buy a kilt to go with it.
basilh

Post by basilh »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Sarah is hot, and I don't just mean her playing. :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:

Now answer this... How the hell does she play in those shoes?
She's also the First Lady inductee into the European Steel Guitar Hall of Fame..
Click here
There IS a personal presentation to her on January 24th at the steelies meeting in Great Barford Village Hall‎
Fishers Close, Great Barford, Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK44 3JL‎ - 01234 870251‎

You can click HERE for more specifics..
Ray McCarthy

Post by Ray McCarthy »

Looks like her A&B pedals are where B&C usually are. Is this the Day setup?
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I remember when the all girl band (Wild Rose) appeared in this area at the Chesapeake Jubilee. Wanda Vick was on lead guitar, fiddle, and pedal steel. They were all wearing mini skirts and lookin' good. Wanda's pedal steel had a cloth skirt across the front of it which was really necessary IMHO as I was next to the stage with a good side view and that skirt was really hiked up. That girl was one helluva picker on everything. Anyone know whatever happened to her, she was a bundle of talent!.....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Jaclyn Jones

Post by Jaclyn Jones »

I just love the fact that you guys worry about our modesty! The truth is that,at least on my part and I suspect all the other ladies, I know a skirt would pose a problem. If I actualy did wear a short skirt while playing pedal steel, then the intent was to expand my entertainment horizons! As for Sara's shoes, I had the same thought. How does she do that!
http://www.myspace.com/jaclynjones
http://www.youtube.com/user/jackiej1950
Lots of guitars, banjos, mandos and a Mullen G2-D10,PAC D10, 1966 Marlen D10,Line6 x3 Pro, Peavey Powerslide, Michael Kelly Dobro and a "Fox Vintage Amp" model 5F8A. Oh Yea, a very patient husband.
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

Ray McCarthy wrote:Looks like her A&B pedals are where B&C usually are. Is this the Day setup?
Yes
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Jaclyn Jones wrote: As for Sara's shoes, I had the same thought. How does she do that!
Very well!
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

Mike Neer wrote:If I ever buy another pedal steel, I will make sure to buy a kilt to go with it.
and a glass pac a seat? watch out for bass players with mirrors on their shoes. :eek:
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Ray, we're behind the times. Today's women musicians (and I'm talking about Pop, not the Symphony Orchestra) don't have much modesty. In fact the more they display the happier they are. :whoa:
Sherman Willden

Post by Sherman Willden »

As I understand it, Sarah Jory was privileged to have Jimmy Day as her mentor. I called the Day residence one time to ask if they were going to put the tapes on CD. Both Jimmy and Marilyn were very nice and accommodating to someone they didn't know, so I can imagine that the Sarah was treated very well by the Day family.

Sherman
Sherman L. Willden
It is easy to play the steel guitar. Playing so that the audience finds it pleasing is the difficult act.
Geoff Cole

Post by Geoff Cole »

I believe Archie Nicol plays in a Kilt. :D
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

I've always wondered how women could avoid turning their ankles in shoes like that. Looks to me as though Sarah has found that an asset.
Jaclyn Jones

Post by Jaclyn Jones »

I had not considered the increased ankle mobility gained from heels. When I get home I am going to give it a try! I will let you guys know if it works. The make some prety high heel cowboy boots you know.
http://www.myspace.com/jaclynjones
http://www.youtube.com/user/jackiej1950
Lots of guitars, banjos, mandos and a Mullen G2-D10,PAC D10, 1966 Marlen D10,Line6 x3 Pro, Peavey Powerslide, Michael Kelly Dobro and a "Fox Vintage Amp" model 5F8A. Oh Yea, a very patient husband.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I think that Sarah is one of the UK's very best players, but a lot of credit is due to Forumite Ken Byng who was her teacher. It sounds as though he set her off on exactly the right path!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

" increased ankle mobility gained from heels."

Maybe that's why my cowboy boots are my favorite playin' footwear.