F/S Sho-Bud LDG..well, not exactly an LDG apparently..

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Don Wright

F/S Sho-Bud LDG..well, not exactly an LDG apparently..

Post by Don Wright »

I just opened a new music store in Sacramento - Village Guitar Werkes (Plek Station) on December 23 and I stock some steel guitar stuff - mostly lap steels, dobro and non-pedal strings, bars, picks etc.
Here's what I know - this older gentleman brought this steel in. (Along with it he also brought an ultra-rare Shobud Compactra 100 tube amp - which I will be listing for sale in the amplifier section of The Forum.) This says it an LDG but it's not green, it's natural with really good-looking wood and not beat up with bar drop dings etc. Good solid OHSC included. It's set up with 3 pedals and only 2 knees, but there are places underneath for 2 more knees. The undercarraige is different from any Lloyd Green I've seen. I'll include all of the extra parts that came with it,including one rod and pedals and non-original knee levers.
It plays well and looks to have a Truetone pickup and original tuners. The pad looks pretty new and the case looks excellent. There is a small split in the underside wood under the pad. It is quite small and does not seem to affect the guitar.(see pic)
I really don't know a lot about these - I'm pretty much a non-pedal guy. I'll do my best to answer all questions and I can email additional pics if requested.
Asking $1899.00 and I'll split packing/shipping costs 50/50.
The serial # is 7647.
Last edited by Don Wright on 7 Jan 2010 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1940 Vega Double 8, 1 Bakelite and 1 Metal Rickenbacher, Oahu Tonemaster. '66 Fender Twin, Bogner Alchemist and vintage Baldwin amplifier.
Don Wright

Post by Don Wright »

Hey Forum Folks -
I keep uploading pics to the forum. It says they successfully uploaded but they don't appear in my posts. So please email me for LDG pics or tell me what I'm doing wrong with my uploaded pics. This is my first attempt at a post with photos.
Thanks -
dwright@marzguitars.com
1940 Vega Double 8, 1 Bakelite and 1 Metal Rickenbacher, Oahu Tonemaster. '66 Fender Twin, Bogner Alchemist and vintage Baldwin amplifier.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Here is the guitar:

Don, you have a late-'60s Baldwin-era 'Bud, presumably converted from a Crossover D10 (a mechanism which utilized all pedals and levers for both necks). Most of these had black end plates, but some '69 transition guitars (such as this one) had aluminum end plates. I owned a similar one to yours a while back, actually. The LDG didn't come out until 1973, so the decal is aftermarket. The pickup is more than likely a Truetone. The fretboard is a mid-'70s dustcatcher-style. Nice job on the conversion! Pics of the undercarriage would be great.
Last edited by Chris LeDrew on 7 Jan 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Don Wright

Sho-Bud update i It's a real Sho-bud but not an LDG...

Post by Don Wright »

FYI, I just received this email from a knowledgeable Forumite:

Hi Don,

Thanks so much for the pics. What you have there is a late '60s Baldwin-era Sho~Bud. I can't say for sure from the pics, but I assume it started out life with two necks. What a nice guitar, though. Does it still have the rack and barrels underneath? The decals do not look original. They are too big and are a bit off-centre from where they usually are. I could be wrong, though. (The LDG is definitely not original.) Are they under the finish? If so, the guitar has been refinished. The LDG model was not released until several years after this guitar was built. This is about a '68-'69. It was the Crossover era, when the pedals and levers worked both necks. A lot of guys converted them to pad E9 guitars. The pickup is a Truetone for sure. All in all, the guitar looks well done and solid.

Hope this helps! It's too heavy for me to get shipped all the way to eastern Canada, but it sure will make someone happy. I'm posting the pics for you now. I had to downsize them.....they were huge!! :)

Take care,

Chris
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Ha! I just finished posting a diluted version of my email.....:)

My pleasure, Don.....you'll get a few more 'Bud freaks chiming in here soon enough.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Metal hex ends on the rods at the one-up/one down changer...most likely still rack & barrel.
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Really beautiful!
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

More pics:

I'm curious to know what's happening here with the "true" SD10 changer endplate (no hole for C6) and distinct lack of screw holes in the C6 side of the undercarriage. I can see the cut-out for the C6 pickup from underneath, but that's about it. There should be more evidence of a conversion. Somebody spent a lot of time doing the cosmetics. The knees look a bit odd, but that's minor.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Is that a patch weld to fill the C6 windows that can be seen in the endplate photo, or is it a reflection?
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I thought I saw that too. If so, it's pretty smooth. Could they have patched the hole then buffed the endplate from its (possibly) original black?
Jackson Steel Guitars
Tom Higgins

Post by Tom Higgins »

Probably heliarced,ground,and polished.Nice work.
Don Wright

Yup, it's a patchweld where the C6th was..

Post by Don Wright »

I just looked closely at the guitar and there is indeed a patchweld on the end plate - and a darned good one, too! I've had this guitar in the store for 2 weeks and I never noticed it until a sharp-eyed forum member spotted it in the endplate reflection.